Adding Certifications

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by pshuckleberry, Mar 21, 2013.

1. pshuckleberry

pshuckleberry Rookie

Mar 21, 2013

I am really confused about adding licensure. I graduated two years ago in Indiana and I am licensed in middle and high school Social Studies. My major was Secondary Ed, Social Studies content. I currently teach ESL in South Korea, but I am returning home in two weeks. I have been fervently applying and video interviewing at various schools, mainly charters in Indiana/Florida/Texas.

I emailed an advisor at my university asking how to go about adding English and/or ESL certifications, but the reply just said I needed to pass the correct Praxis for each area to add on. This seems overly simple to me. Is it actually this easy? I can't imagine that all I need to do to add middle/high school English is take the Praxis and apply for the license if passed? I have been looking over ETS and my state's DOE websites, but I can't seem to find much.

Apologies for lack of certification knowledge! :)

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 21, 2013

I'd suggest you call the state DOEs where you want to work, and ask them about the requirements. They should have better knowledge than your advisor, especially in the states other than Indiana.

4. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Mar 23, 2013

I agree with bella84, get it straight from the state dept. of education in each state, in writing if possible.

But it might be that simple. I added two single subject credentials to my multiple subject credential by 1) passing a subject matter examination (CSET) in each content area; and 2) taking a class in methodology of teaching in secondary schools.

I added these credentials because middle schools in CA are somewhat of a hybrid; some require multiple subjects credentials, and some require single subject credentials. Also, I'm a bit of an over-achiever :)

So far this is my best career move ever, as the single subject English credential qualified me to teach all honors English, something multiple subject credential holders cannot do in CA. And when my district pink-slipped 130 teachers last week, I was "skipped" because I have three credentials, which makes me more flexible in terms of the variety of assignments I can handle, so potentially more useful to my district.

I took the methods course as part of my MA degree, but there is one available online through UCLA extension that will fill the CA requirement (not sure about the states you mention).

5. Lucilla

Lucilla Rookie

Mar 23, 2013

I know in PA it is that simple, well at least until Aug 31, 2013 when they are ending add on certifications.

OT, pshuckleberry, how is teaching ESL in Korea? I have been seriously considering it for the travel experience and for the $$ that I would be able to save. I would love to talk with you more about it if possible!

6. pshuckleberry

pshuckleberry Rookie

Apr 2, 2013

Wow, thanks for all of this info. I'm definitely going to spend some time tomorrow calling around to a few states.

@Lucilla

I have had a great experience teaching in SK, but I actually came back this week because my family grew a little too weary of everything going on with North Korea. I hada great time and travelled to many places while I was there and can't recommend it enough. We can talk about it anytime you want!

7. Eurydike

Eurydike Rookie

Apr 3, 2013