Adding certification area?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Anonymous Barbie, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Jun 18, 2017

I was recently passed over for a position I really wanted. I moved to a more rural area where there is an extremely low teacher turnover rate, so it may be another couple of years before any of the area schools have positions in my field open again.

I really need to get back to work, so I have been told by many people that I should consider adding another certification area to my license. All this would require would be taking the Praxis II subject area test, and paying the fee with the state department of education.

I currently have a history teaching certificate, and taught history for three years before moving here. I was thinking I could add English Language Arts to my license. My question is, has anyone else added a certification area to their license in a subject that they did not major in when they were in college?

History and English can overlap a bit sometimes, and I really love reading and writing. I just don't remember hardly anything at all about grammar and syntax. It would take some time to brush up on my skills (I have ordered a practice book, and will be getting my hands on a used high school textbook), but I'm up to the challenge.

Has anyone done this before? What was your experience?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 18, 2017

Are we talking high school? How many ELA courses did you take in college? There's a big difference in doing both in middle school vs high school.

4. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Jun 18, 2017

I am aware the textbooks will vary. But my local library will have textbooks for ELA, middle and high school both. I should have clarified that I will get both.

I did not take any ELA courses in college. I did take two semesters of English Composition, and many of my history courses (not social studies education classes, actual history) were catered towards improving our writing styles. We also read literature in many of my history courses, and I am aware of the need to study eras of writing, and their historical significance.

I did well in all of my ELA classes in middle and high school. And I also have a Master's degree, so I am fairly confident in my ability to learn something on my own, but I'm just a little lost as to how to start. I realize it's not the same as taking a class in the subject, but I'm not going to let that stop me from trying to get additional certs.

I mainly just wanted to know if anyone has done it before, and what strategies they found helpful in studying.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 18, 2017

Just curious what state you are in?

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 18, 2017

What was your minor?

7. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jun 19, 2017

I added the ela endorsements with the praxis 2 tests. I was an elementary ed major. The tests are very easy if you have basic reading and writing skills and are well read. I have never been questioned about the amount of English I took in college, I also added math endorsements with the praxis. I will add that I am a good test taker so my view may be skewed.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 19, 2017

I did! My degree is in Elementary Education. Because I started in a completely different field, I had enough credits for a social studies certificate. I just had to take the PLT 7-12. Since then, I have added on English and Speech by taking the Praxis subject area tests, and journalism through my content area masters courses. I've never even taught social studies, and English, Speech, and Drama. Social studies was just a foot in the door to mover from elementary to high school.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 19, 2017

I am simply curious about the state because in NJ you would need the Praxis II, but there would also be course requirements. To teach MS, you would need 15 credits, and for HS, you would need 30 credits in a logical seauence, a third or more in upper level courses, which is a major. Without the 15 credits, you wouldn't be able to teach MS, let alone HS. I am always amazed at how different the states requirements can be.

10. David DiCaprio

David DiCaprio Rookie

Jun 19, 2017

My library also had some helpful books. The funny thing was the older books had more content that I found to be more beneficial.

11. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 19, 2017

I added two areas that I didn't major in but kept only one of them when I upgraded my license a few years back.

12. christie

christie Rookie

Jun 19, 2017

In Virginia, you just have to pass a test to add secondary endorsements. I added a history endorsement to my elementary license by taking the history and social studies Praxis. No additional classes required. History was neither a minor nor a major of mine. I'm just a big history nerd who worked really hard to understand history and how to teach it.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 19, 2017

Thanks, christie. I was just curious, and now I discovered something I didn't know before. Virginia isn't just for lovers - it is great to be able to add certificates without more college!

christie likes this.
  14. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 20, 2017

In PA you can also add certification areas with just testing. I started out with K-6 and have since added multiple middle school content areas as well as technology. There are a couple areas you do have to have coursework to add, such as SPED and I think also ESOL.

15. christie

christie Rookie

Jun 20, 2017

It absolutely was great to add it without taking additional classes, though I can see where it could cause issues in some cases. I lay a lot of my success for teaching history at the feet of the three Teaching American History grants in which I participated.