Adding an endorsement - this is long!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by heymiss, Aug 4, 2009.

1. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

Okay, so I've requested permission from my ACP to register for the 8-12 ELAR test. I've taken 3 computer administered tests before and passed them all with no problem whatsoever (I am SO glad I'm a good test taker. It must be horrible to have test anxiety!), but this one is only offered on paper for some reason.

I can't take it until August 29, which is the Saturday after school starts here. Since it's paper-based, I probably won't receive my scores for 3 weeks after the test.

I've noticed that lots of schools around here are posting openings for HS English, which is one of the reason I'm taking this test. It was always my best/favorite subject in school, but I never wanted to teach it because I didn't want to have to grade mountains of essays. Obviously I didn't know how hard it was going to be to get a job when I started getting picky about what I wanted to teach!

I've already got in applications to LOTS of districts around here for 4-8 Generalist, 4-8 Math, and 6-12 Business. Pretty much any opening that fits those, I've applied for.

Should I go ahead and apply for HS ELAR positions, even though I haven't taken the test? If so, should I just mention in my cover letter that I'm taking it on X date? Should I mention when I expect to have the results? Or should I just wait?

3. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 4, 2009

I would ask someone with your ACP. I was allowed to apply because I had the college hours to qualify me as being HQ before taking the test. So I could apply for them, and then most applications would ask if I'd taken the appropriate test, which was where I would put the date I was registered to take it. I also put it on my resume as being HQ by hours, and then just under that, I put that I was registered to take the test on such-and-such date. But I would check with your ACP, just to see what they recommend.

Some free advice... I took the 8-12 ELAR test... it was rough. I took 4 hours and 50 minutes of the 5 hours and was the last person to leave. Really study up on the essay. They'll ask you to pull from the passages, but there really isn't much to pull. The thing is, it's like I was always told, it doesn't matter so much WHAT you say, but do you have the evidence to back it up. So even though, looking back, the claims I was making probably sounded ridiculous, I found textual evidence that went right along with what I was saying, which I am convinced is what helped me pass the essay portion. Also, I really split my time up. I started off by looking at the essay portion and reading the passages. Then I did some of the MC questions, then went back and did an outline, then some more MC questions, so forth and so on. You see what I mean. At least for me, I would have gone crazy and probably not finished had I tried to just do the essay all at once. Oh, and the TExES website will tell you the exact date you'll get your scores back :) Sorry, I know you didn't ask for advice on the test, but I know I wish someone had given me some before I took it. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck on it!!!

4. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

I'm ALWAYS open to advice about the test itself! I also tend to give it freely, as some poor stranger in Half Price Books found out the other day when I saw her looking at a prep guide for the 4-8 Generalist.

5. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Haha! Honestly, if I were her, I would have been so glad to get some advice on the test. It never hurts to hear from someone who's taken the test, and I would have been so grateful to have someone give me some advice/tips.

Hope I've been able to help a little :)

6. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

7. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 4, 2009

I didn't buy books for any of my tests. It might have been a good idea for the 8-12, but I just didn't have the time, I registered really late. I used the study guide on the TExES website, and this website. It has practice tests (10 questions, so nothing big) for almost all TExES tests. I like it because at the end, it has an explanation for why the right answer is right, which is something I went through and did with all the practice questions in the official study guide. It was nice to see that another study guide did that as well. I also studied the TEKS a little bit, just kind of went over them a little. Like I said, though, I really wish that I had done more studying of the essay portion and done a practice essay or two. I highly recommend doing that if you can.

8. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

Not from Texas, but I want to reiterate the importance of timing out your test. I took the PRAXIS PLT (principles of learning and teaching) it was notorious for people not to finish the test. I gave myself chunks for the MC and for each of the essays. I was able to finish within 10 minutes of the test time ending.