Adding a New Class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Nov 10, 2009

Need some advice.

My juniors are absolutely infatuated with the idea of a philosophy class in the high school next year, and they want me to teach it. They have loved some of our discussions on the fallacy of nothing being impossible, uncertainties, etc.

I would love to teach the class as well. The students signed a petition last week containing 35 signatures out of 120 high school students. However, we have encountered some resistance. Apparently there's a provision in the contract that states teachers are entitled to one prep period. I can't give it up...the reasons aren't really clear.

Our guidance counselor won't really give me a straight answer as to why he doesn't want me teaching the course...I just get that vibe. Why is that? I would be willing to teach the course for free, why are there so many obstacles? Can anyone help?

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Nov 10, 2009

Contractual issues are a pain in the.... ahem. That said, talk to your union rep. We are allowed to sacrifice our prep period but ONLY for extra pay. We're literally not allowed to do it for free. If we volunteer to do it for free, the union has a heart attack. They claim it sets a dangerous precedent of administration adding duties without adding pay. I understand... but strongly disagree with that argument (if its all on a strictly volunteer basis anyway), but thus is the argument.

As for other obstacles, I don't know. Our department was able to add two courses for this year without any trouble at all. Our principal had to approve it, but that was all......

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

There are many reasons for the problem, both with union contracts and admin. I think one of the main ones is I don't think kids could legally receive credit for a class that wasn't being taught by a teacher being paid for a class and the school wouldn't be able to collect ADA and the kids wouldn't be covered by school insurance and you would be taking a job from someone who could get paid for it and and and.....You could probably do it as a philosophy club to get around those issues but I doubt very much you could get it approved as a class unless you are paid.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 10, 2009

Our union president threw a fit when I taught three classes instead of two like the other department heads. I introduced a Law Part II: Attorneys class for students who are interested in being lawyers and I faced similar resistance.