Addicted to School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LinzerCastle, Jul 3, 2008.

1. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

During the last two weeks of school I absolutely couldn't wait for summer to get here. Now that it's here, I can't seem to stop thinking about school!

I'm developing writing and reading mini-lessons, tweaking my classroom management system, reorganizing all of my files, and getting all my handouts ready for the first week. I check my school email everyday, am making frequent trips to my local teacher's store, and am counting down the days until we go back.

I'm even looking forward to the Fourth of July being over so that the school supplies will start appearing in Target and Wal-Mart!

My husband accepts that he has to "share" me with my school work during the school year, but asking him to do the same thing over the summer is a little much! Don't get me wrong, I do most of this during the day when he is at work, but I still feel guilty!

Does anyone else feel the same way? Is anyone else addicted to school??

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2008

:lol: I think we're all like that! I mean, come on! We're all still here on A to Z!

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

I have discussed this before with coworkers, and we think that it is normal to think about school a lot during the summer. It is part of what makes us so good :)

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 3, 2008

Linzer, just think - the time you spend planning now will ease your stress level and work load when you start back. It'll make your hubby less of a school widow. :)

6. SnoopyTeacher

SnoopyTeacher Companion

Jul 3, 2008

I am glad to know that I am not the only one that does that!!

7. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 3, 2008

I wish I could get motivated like you...maybe once I know what grade I will be teaching I can get more interested. But as of right now, I haven't done anything.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

I think about school constantly ... I'm planning, planning, planning!

9. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jul 3, 2008

I'm definitely a member of this club. Even when I try to get away from it, I can't stop, so I'll go make another list of things I want to get done this summer until I can start working on the list!

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

My husband thinks I'm the most dedicated teacher ever because of all the work I put in over the summer.

11. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

So am I! I couldn't wait for the end of the year to arrive. However, within a couple of days of my summer vacation I realized how bored I was. So I've spent a lot of time working on my classroom website, blog, and just general teaching stuff.

12. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

It's a sickness!! Count me afflicted, too! :D Aren't we so blessed to have husbands that understand and allow us to be who we are? :angel:

Part of it is, too, I think, that fresh opportunity to do it better come fall. It's like each quater when I turn over the sheet in the grade book...fresh start, no mistakes to mar the page. :)

13. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jul 3, 2008

I just got hired for my first full time teaching job, starting this fall. I told my husband that for the first time in my entire life I can't WAIT for summer to END! I'm so excited!

14. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

Congratulations, Lindsay.Lou! Exciting times ahead!! :angel:

15. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 4, 2008

Congratulations, Lindsay Lou!!!

16. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jul 4, 2008

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it!

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2008

I am.. I'll admit it! I have been working on my classroom since 2 days after school got out!

Oh, yeah. I am also addicted to THIS SITE!

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 4, 2008

I've taught forever and still spend summers looking at stuff to use for the next year. I can't even go on vacation and not buy stuff for school.

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2008

I, too, am an addict. (I prefer this to being called a "nerd", which is what my son calls me.) I can't turn it off. This summer is worse than ever since I can't go anywhere and get my mind off of school.

Seriously, I think some of it has to do with the amount of stress that is in this job. You go, go, go, and then all of a sudden you're supposed to stop. I was a bit depressed at the beginning of summer, and I know it had to do with that. Suddenly...nothing to do.

Now that I've recognized that I need to think about school, things are back to normal. Some of my colleagues tell me to stop thinking about school, but I've decided that I don't need to. I enjoy planning and thinking about how I can do something better way too much to give it up.

20. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 4, 2008

This sounds exactly like me:)! In fact, I'm thinking you popped into my head and wrote what I was thinking :woot:

21. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

I am guilty at this at times. There are moments when I truly believe I have an addiction to learning and then there are times when I do not think about it at all. As other posters have said, I think we are the good ones.

22. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 4, 2008

It's so funny- I was just having this conversation with friends today. I was out to lunch and my friends' little girl was getting antsy. I pulled a book out of my bag (haven't had a chance to clean it out yet, just finished teaching summer school) and started reading it with her. Everyone at the table was making fun of me that it was summer - and my response to them was: I'm a teacher, we're never off-duty! I still have a long list of things to get done this summer for my class next year. Books to read, units to plan, workstations to create. But it's true - I wouldn't know what to do with myself otherwise.

23. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Jul 4, 2008

You guys are the best! I am glad to know that I'm not the only overly-devoted teacher out there!

I think I'm going to have my husband read your responses, so he can see that my attitude towards school is perfectly normal!

Happy Planning!

24. mrericksen

mrericksen New Member

Jul 4, 2008

Here at 12:25 I'm Creating powerpoints for every country on earth for next year (curently on the Monaco) :) obsessed?

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 5, 2008

It's VERY normal!!!

I've been tweaking my classroom website and management plan... and thinking about motivating my hypothetical students to master their multiplication tables... :) Typical for me. :woot:

26. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 5, 2008

All I ever hear from my parents is- "You need to have a life." But this is my life... and it doesn't mean I am boring. It means that I will be a little more refreshed when fall comes because I put together something that I didn't have the time/feel like putting together during the year.

Anyway, I'm going away this next week. But that doesn't mean that a new idea won't come into my mind about school.

27. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I'll be a first time teacher come fall, and all I can think about is the school year. I want to be so prepared so things will run as smoothly as possible. My husband makes fun of me and calls me a dork, but I think he *sort of* understands.

28. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jul 5, 2008

DITTO!
    :help: