Add-on certification?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Expo Markers, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Jan 29, 2018

Hey everyone!

I've been a part of this forum since the beginning of my college career, and I appreciated the advice of hundreds of educators. I'm going to start student teaching next week, and I'm already seeing the merit of this group. Seriously, thank you!

My question is about how valuable an additional certification would be in my case. I will already have a secondary mathematics certification, and I found out that I qualify for an add-on certification in computer programming based on my course work. I would only need to take and pass a Praxis II in Computer Science to complete the requirements for the certification.

Is it worth the $120, though? What merits are there to an add-on certification? I'm in an area with a lot of teacher schools, so I really need to stand out to be in a position to get a local job. Most teachers are on a salary schedule, so it's not like I would get a raise or anything.

What say you all? Is it worth it? Have you noticed having additional areas of certification as a benefit for you?

Thanks again!

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 29, 2018

When I started reading, I was going to say you wouldn't need it. You'll find a job with a certification in secondary math. However, when I saw $120, my vote was immediately do it! That's really a pretty small amount of money, even though it might not seem so when you're a college student. It's good to have career choices and would probably give you a slight advantage when searching for jobs.

4. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Jan 29, 2018

Well, and that's why I ask you all. I'm financing my life from grant money right now, so I have to think about wise ways to spend my money that will benefit me down the line. Thanks for your input! :)

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 29, 2018

Do it! It'll make you even more marketable!

Several years ago (around 2009-2010) when droves of CA teachers were being laid off, I was able to avoid being pink slipped due to having a supplemental authorization to teach English as a single subject. Therefore, I moved to middle school. Hated teaching middle school (never wanted to teach anything above 2nd grade), but it was either take the job for a year or not have a teaching job for a year!

otterpop likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 29, 2018

There are a lot of different ways to get add-on certifications, and the cheapest way to get the one I'd like is about $2500. So, it's not a bad deal. :)

7. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Jan 29, 2018

That's crazy! I never thought the second certification could keep me employed or not. I didn't even think of that!

And $2500, Otterpop? What certification would you want?

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 29, 2018

I will PM you :)

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 29, 2018

Would you be comfortable teaching Computer Science? I like the idea of broadening your market, as long as you would actually be comfortable teaching that content, so I guess the question would be how do you feel about computer programming? Can you do it, would you want to do it? If it appeals to you, go for it. If you feel you qualify on paper only, and there's no way you would consider it, then no. I have 8 certificates, so I believe in diversity, but I can teach all of the subjects and would be happy to do so, so that is the litmus test for me.