Acupuncture?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MrsC, Apr 26, 2010.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2010

Has anyone had acupuncture? Lauren (16) has been having some problems with back pain. She has a couple of vertebrae out of alignment and resulting nerve inflammation and muscle pain. The chiropractor would like to try acupuncture on her next visit to try to get to some of the deeper tissue.

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 26, 2010

I have tried it. I orginally went for anxiety and depression and when i had back pain he did accupuncture on my back too. For me the accupuncture didn't help my back only going to the chiropractor did. I truly believe accupuncture works.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 26, 2010

I know someone who has had acupuncture for severe back pain. They went three times. The first time, they had some mild relief as reported by the person I know. The second time, they had tremendously unbelievable relief. The third time, they had no noticeable relief.

I think it's hit or miss depending on the skill of your practitioner and a bit of luck.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2010

I used to have it regularly for fibromyalgia. (My MD is a certified medical accupuncturist, which is cool.) Once at a regular appointment I had a horrible, borderline migraine headache, and my doc treated it with a few needles in my feet. The relief was astounding - the headache just disappeared. I think it's very effective for certain conditions.

6. OedipaMaas

OedipaMaas Rookie

Apr 26, 2010

I have alignment woes and nerve pain in my upper back and down my right arm through my fingertips as a result of several years of working as a bench jeweler while being careless about my posture. I've had acupuncture and it was helpful for pain management and, to a lesser extent, increasing range of motion in my neck and shoulder. For me, acupuncture has about as much effect as a good professional massage. It's helpful, but not dramatic and the effects aren't very long-lasting.

The two things that were most helpful for me were 1) working with a physical therapist on strengthening exercises to build compensatory muscles in my back and 2) seeing a certified rolfer, who worked with me on alignment and posture.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2010

I've had a 12-needle biopsy.

I'll pass on the acupuncture.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2010

I completely understand. Actually, I'm surprised that she's calm about it--she hates needles. She's comforted by the fact that she won't be able to see them. (I have to take her during her lunch hour--I sense a quick stop at DQ on the way back to school).

9. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Apr 26, 2010

Funny you mention this. I used to suffer from SEVERE allergies to pollen. Spring was nearly unbearable for me. When I was a child, I had allergy shots and they all but went away. Within the last 2 years, I've noticed them coming back.

I was speaking with my mother tonight and she mentioned a friend of hers who is really allergic to cats, although she has one. She found an acupuncturist who treated her and she has noticed a significant difference. She went from using a puffer regularly and banning the cat from her bedroom, to only having to us the puffer occasionally and the cat now sleeps on the bed.

I'm seriously considering looking into it.

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 26, 2010

My aunt has been going to one for her shoulder and she says it works and is relaxing....believe it or not!

11. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 26, 2010

I like it, and I have a phobia about needles, stemming from a prolonged childhood illness. A good practitioner never really causes pain, though often you can feel some very strange sensations as energy is release from blocked areas. As I understand it, the insertion points are between nerve endings, hence no pain. If the strategy here is to reduce inflammation so that deep tissue can manipulated via chiropractic, this seems sound. On it's own, acupuncture won't correct misaligned vertebrae, though.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2010

I think that's the premise, Grover. She has been getting massage, but on at least one occasion, the massage therapist has stopped because she was tightening up. She is receiving treatment for the vertebrae as well. Right now, the focus is on getting her pain-free (or at least close) so that she can work to regain the flexibility, strength and agility she needs for soccer (season starts in 2 weeks!).

13. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 26, 2010

I get acupuncture every now and then (too expensive to do regularly) for my chronic pain and find it to be a grief temporary relief. I would definitely recommend Lauren try acupuncture, MrsC.

For those who are afraid of needles, there's an alternative to acupuncture that achieves the same goal. Acupressure uses the same points as acupuncture but is done with the hands instead of needles.

14. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 26, 2010

I have never found acupressure to be as effective, and it can be painful, since the hands do compress a much wider area around the acupuncture point. I would be the last one to guess that using needles was less painful than not using needles, but that's been my experience.

15. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 28, 2010

That much pressure seems strange to me. When I have received acupressure, it has always been with very light touch, about the weight of a nickel. I suppose touch varies from practitioner to practitioner though, and of course, sensitivity varies from client to client.

Then again, I don't find needles to be painful once they're in, either.

16. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 28, 2010

Well, the acupressure I got was from a chiropractor, not an acupuncturist, so it may not have been a good sample.

17. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2010

I've had very good experiences with acupuncture from my chiropractor, who is also an acupuncturist. I never thought I'd be able to stand it, but it's not bad. My doc is the first one to tell you if he's done all he can. It's worth a try!

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2010

My mom got a lot of relief for a neck injury from acupuncture. Unfortunately, the only place for her to get it was over an hour away, so the drive there and back cancelled out an effect...

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 29, 2010

I tried acupuncture several years ago for a chronic illness I have. I almost always had some temporary relief and improvement of my condition after a treatment.

Acupuncture isn't completely painless, you still feel the prick of the needles when they go in, but it is normally very light - not anywhere near the level of a shot or IV (I've had plenty of experience with those as well).

It IS really cool to feel the energy flow between the needles once they're inserted. It's a strange, but rather pleasant sensation similar to a very low current flowing through the muscles.

I would definitely recommend trying acupuncture to relieve the pain. That should make it much easier to get the vertebrae back in line.

20. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 30, 2010

My daughter had accupuncture for migraines. It actually was quite helpful. It did not hurt at all and was actually quite relaxing. She only needed 3 treatments. I was impressed that he did not keep her coming back again and again.