Activities

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wyvern, Dec 18, 2013.

1. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Dec 18, 2013

I've searched, but I haven't really found a thread devoted to just activities. I was wondering how people feel about an activities thread. Just one to post an idea for any activity. Posting the topic, the objective and the how to. Pictures are great too. Kind of like Pinterest, but without having to go there. So, great art activities. Fine motor. Math. Cognitive. Social. I'd like to just be able to see great activities randomly, without having to search for one concept. Do we have a thread like that?

3. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Dec 19, 2013

I can begin with one. Today we read the story Caps for Sale. Doing story extensions off this, we all got to wear a cap. (the caps were circles of felt) We acted out the story. The children got to be the monkeys. When the peddler shook his hand, the monkeys shook their hands and made monkey sounds. When the peddler stomped his feet, they stomped their feet. When the peddler threw down his hat, so did all the other monkeys. I great interactive activity with the book. It's literacy, it's interacting with book, it's prediction and recall. It's drama. It's problem solving.

The second part was small groups. One group at one table, make their own caps to wear with paper and glue. My group got to draw a head on a piece of paper and stack as many hats high as they could with glue. Then I asked them to count them for me. As they counted, I noted each number on each hat and and save it for portfolios to note their counting skills. and cognitive also. It can be a challenge for a child to see a head and realize that the paper caps are intended to adorn the head, and not the nose, say, but that's part of cognitive reasoning skill.
    This activity gets them excited about the story, so that' literacy skills. They do predicting and answering in the book that's cognitive problem solving. They do cutting, counting, art, and planning and designing afterwards on their group activities. And I'm able to get a counting assessment on it. I can create some further activities based on this. So, what other ideas for any kind of activity do people have?
    Can someone share another group or activity that works well for them?