Activities for the Library Center??? All Day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by corps2005, Sep 3, 2008.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 3, 2008

At my new school, the students pretty much stay in centers all day. We pull them out of their centers for whole and small group instruction. They stay in a center the entire day and do not go to a new center until the next day.

What are some activities and ideas that students can do in the library center beside fill out a response sheet? These are lower level students, who are just learning how to read.

Any suggestions?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 3, 2008

They are in ONE center ALL DAY? Am I clear on this?

If so, I imagine they will get quite bored. Maybe books on tape, reading big books (which are just fun because they are so big) magazines, partner reading, etc. It will take awhile to teach them all of that!

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 4, 2008

Yes, they are going to be in one center for the whole day. That's why I wanted about 5-7 good interesting activities for them to do. I have a response sheet that they have to copy down and complete. Right now, it seems to take them about 45 minutes just to do that, and it's only 3 sentences. They can also do a thinking map (sort of like a graphic organizer but diffferent) to sequence the story or to analyze a character. I'm not sure what else they can do.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2008

One center all day? Wow, that would be a little frustrating to me- my students would be bored out of their minds! I would maybe have them make a large mural or even a collage cutting and pasting things from a theme- something they are reading about- as a response. Or, have them put together a small diorama- setting and character from the story using material in the classroom. (In addition to the things MissFroggy mentioned) Good luck!