Activities for the first few days

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by WITeach, Aug 4, 2005.

1. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 4, 2005

I'm beginning my first year as a teacher (teaching 3rd grade). Does anyone have suggestions as to how to make the first few days fun as well as informative (going over class procedures, etc.)? If anybody has any type of a schedule that they use, that would be great. Any other suggestions for a new teacher would also be appreciated! :)

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 4, 2005

Congrats at being a first year teacher. I was one last year. Our school has a major tour for our 2nd graders (it's their first year in the building) in the morning. I also create our classroom rules on the first day. We sit down as a class and write down all the rules we can think of on the white board. Any that are repeated, we erase. Then we try and narrow them down to 7 or less good ones. After that, we re-write them to being positive sentences. Once we're finished, I write them on a posterboard that looks like a scroll and laminate it. After they're gone for the day I put it on our class website, and include them in our first Monday News paper. Check out my website for last years rules. In the afternoon I do a math inventory and read a good first of the year book. Next, I teach them procedures for using the computers and our technology that goes with e-instruction. Also, in the morning, we sort our school supplies and teach other classroom procedures. I always overplan the first day. You never know how fast some of your activities will go.

4. pateacher

pateacher Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

You should check out www.mspowell.com. Scroll down to Beginning of Year section. She has great tips on how to stay organized and what to teach for the first couple of days. Good Luck!!

5. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I also teach third grade. I always go over rules & procedures the first day. As well as do some activities to get to know eachother. It is important to start out the year letting the students know what to expect and what procedures they must follow. Try "practicing" the procedures, like how to walk down the hall, what to do on class bathroom breaks, when to know it is quiet time, your behavior & homework plan, etc.

Enjoy the 3rd grade...it's my favorite grade to teach!

Good Luck,
    [​IMG]

6. FirstyearGr1

FirstyearGr1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

Wow

I thought that mspowell website was great!

Thanks!!

7. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 5, 2005

First of all - be flexible and calm! It will be hectic that day! Smile and breathe. If I remembered that more than my agenda to complete, I would have not gone dang near out of my mind by the day's end.

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 5, 2005

Thank you for your great suggestions and websites! :) :thanks: