Activities for the first few days of school

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by mdale5thgrade, Aug 26, 2010.

1. mdale5thgrade

mdale5thgrade New Member

Aug 26, 2010

Can someone suggest some ideas for the first few days of 5th grade. I am looking for something creative, hands on and fun. Icebreakers and all projects/crafts welcome. Iam new at this gradse level, and returning to school after a leave. So I kind of feel like a new teacher... Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Thanks

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

- Partner Introductions: Students pair up and one is A, one is B. A has one full minute to ask questions about everything he/she doesn't know about B. Then B has one full minute to answer all the questions he/she is comfortable with. Then they switch, and A introduces B to the class and vice versa.
    - Name Wave: Students form a circle and come up with some physical way for everyone to remember their name (dance move, syllabic clap, etc). They do it, then the person next to them does it, and it continues all the way around the circle.
    - Getting to know you bingo: These must be all over the internet; make a bingo card with things like "Someone who went on vacation outside of your state" "Someone who loves ice cream" "Someone who read Diary of a Wimpy Kid" etc. Students have to find the name of a student who matches the description in order to cross them off on their bingo card.
    - Making Nametags: I've done this where they have to use symbols to help us learn about them. For example, a letter I might be a paintbrush for someone who likes art, an S might be a snake for a snake-lover.
    - Acrostic Name Poem
    - What's in the Sack: I read the poem "What's in the Sack?" by Shel Silverstein then present a sack with 5 items that tell the class about me (my favorite stuffed animal, favorite book, my daughter's socks, etc). Their homework assignment for the first night is to decorate and fill their own sacks to share with the class the first week.
    - Snowball Fight w/Class Rules: On a piece of paper, I write the words "Respect Looks Like" w/space below then "Safety Looks Like" and "Learning Looks Like" (or something to that effect). I make enough copies for everyone then pass them out. I tell students to start at the top and write one way they can show respect in our classroom. Once they finish, I tell them to crumple the page into a ball. They have 20 seconds to have a "snowball fight" throwing it across the room and picking up other "snowballs". After 20 seconds is up, they have to find a snowball, open it up and write another way they can show respect. Repeat for the other rule prompts, then share and record as a group to create your class rules.
    - Student Surveys/Guess Who: Create a survey asking students about their families and favorites that they fill out the first day. Then each morning, play Guess Who by saying "This person has two sisters... likes burgers.."etc.

Hope that helps!

4. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

I spent last week going over procedures and preparing my room and kids for the year. Since my kids have all been at this school since pre-k and I had them last year, I didn't have to spend time this year with getting to know you games.

-I have the kids make a mini library throughout the year, and their mini books are kept in a single serve cereal box that's covered in white paper and decorated.
    -I have them create some craft that hangs from the lights (this year it's a fish).
    -I bought them penny pecil boxes from Staples and they spent time decorating their new 'traveling pencil boxes.'
    -They created the cover for their "Nature Journal."

We did play a couple of games: a scavenger hunt that I've used for years and "Fortunately/Unfortunately" and I Spy.

Now that I have all of that out of the way and my assessments done, I am ready to start teaching 'for real' this week!

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Sep 2, 2010

2 Truths and a Lie. Have students tell the class 3 statements about themselves (2 being true, 1 being a lie). Class guesses which statement is a lie. Teacher starts.

Example:
    I went to medical school before realizing I wanted to be a teacher.
    I used to show horses.
    I love reading.

6. small_fry

small_fry New Member

Jul 15, 2011

LynnK, I'm interested in your mini library idea -what kinds of mini-books do the students keep in there? Creative stories they've written or more structured fill-in-the-blank mini books?

7. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 15, 2011

AnonyMS--Which one is the lie???

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 15, 2011

People Scavenger Hunt: Students have to find 1 person for every item on the list. (Someone who likes to sing, someone who speaks 2 languages, etc..). I started this last year with my 6th grade & we had sooo much fun. After they got signatures from everyone I asked students to share something interesting they found out about people. It was a great way to open up dialogue and explore our likenesses and differences. :)

Trivia Worksheet: Students work in groups to get the most blanks filled in on the trivia sheet. I have 5 categories at the top (musicians, instruments, musical terms etc...). The trick is that the last letter of the first column is the first letter of the next and so on. (I pull this same trivia sheet out at the end of the quarter. They can see how their musical knowledge has grown as they are able to complete it faster with more answers.

The Procedure Game: Students work in groups to pair up classroom procedure questions with the correct answers. (I have an envelope for each group with instructions. The last instruction says when you're done the entire group has to put both hands in the air & shout "procedures." It's sooo fun to see how many match them all up & say we're done..and I say no you're not. :p It's great for teamwork.

Also, I just read an icebreaker book and found tons of good ideas (not just the first week but for the whole year).

http://www.amazon.com/Icebreakers-Activities-Build-Better-Shawnee/dp/1592351662

9. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 15, 2011

One thing I have done the last couple of years is to give each of the students an index card and have them write down at least 5 questions they have about 5th grade. I, then, collect them, mix them up, and then read through the questions and answer each of them. They are all things that I would have gone over anyway, but it does give them a sense of ownership in the process. :)

It also gives me a chance to interact with each of them in a non-threatening way and get to know them a bit better. A favorite memory is the young man who asked 'when does school gets out'. We had fun with that one when I told him that that was NOT the way to get on a teacher's good side on the very first day! :) He was one who would much rather be outside in the open air, but I think it helped to get our relationship off to a positive start. :)

10. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

11. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 16, 2011

The students must read a novel/book from a different genre each month. They then create a minibook with specific requirements for each genre. The books are graded and kept in the cereal boxes for the year. At the end of the year, they take home their mini-library. During the year other students may look in classmates' boxes for book recommendations.

I can send you the template the kids get if you want. I am working on creating a new one for nonfiction books.

12. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

Love the Jenga idea.
    Anyone have any ideas that may include a little math? This one of those times I wish I taught LA.

13. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

I'm interested in the template. This is a great idea, thank you for sharing!

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 6, 2011

This is a great idea! I would be interested in the template as well! thanks for sharing!

15. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Aug 15, 2011

Lynn K. I would love the template if you wouldn't mind sharing :) Thanks so much!

16. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Aug 28, 2011

For Fifth grade math the first "real" week of school, I'm going to have the students do "Math About Me". It will be like an all about me project, but related to things with math. I will probably give them the topics and let them make a few up on their own. At first I was going to give them three examples, but I think they may have trouble. I want it to stress that math is all around us.