Activities for a child who is being retained..

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Carebear05, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

I have a couple of kids in my class this year that have been retained. Luckily, I had them both in my Title 1 reading group last year (which is why theyre being held back) so I know their personalities. They struggle in Reading. Friday we had a meeting with one of the boy's parents because he is in the process of being tested for ADHD and his parents really did not want him being held back. His dad kept saying that he would be bored and he would be in the office all the time because he'd be causing problems. Of course the whole time Im thinking in my head that this child will "think" he is bored because he's heard daddy say that he will be. Thanks a lot DAD! Anyway, his teacher from last year said that he was pretty good in Math and thats what the dad said he'd be bored with. I dont doubt that he's good in it and probably remembers all of the skills, but Im not sure that I want to exclude him totally from the lessons and the work the rest of the class is doing. We use Saxon Math, and I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I can have him do so that he wont be "bored". I dont want to just give him worksheets all the time because I dont want to give him busy work. I have some games on the computer he can do, but then I run into the other kids asking why he gets to play on the computer all the time. What are your suggestions?

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2008

I never excuse any student from any whole class lesson.

I may sound like an old cynical fart, but part of life is having to sit through things you might find boring.

Besides, there might be critical holes that need to be filled by the first weeks of instruction.

In my first grade class, my fluent readers still have to sing the ABC song with everyone else.

4. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

This is so true! Another teacher made the same statement to me the other day. She also said that it starts to teach them patience. Like I said, I know the child is going to go home and tell his parents he was bored because thats what has been put into his head. And I know that they possibly will go to the principal and tell him and then he'll come to me and discuss ways we can change it. I'm just trying to prepare myself for what could happen.

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2008

Carebear, I have 2 retainees in my class and what I have found is that even though we are just beginning, there is a reason they are in first grade again. Let me tell you, they need these skills again. I find that they are still getting confused about some basic things that I thought they definitely should do better on.

6. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

how about giving him homework that is slightly more difficult than what the other children are doing? i used to teach saxon in 1st grade & it is VERY difficult to differentiate. perhaps if he has more "challenging" homework, this will make him feel special & keep the parents happy. just a thought.

Meri

7. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions. My problem pretty much got solved today. He will actually be pulled for part of Math to work one on one with another teacher on his reading since that is why he is being held back, so I wont have him the whole time during Math. This will save me some sanity and keep his parents away I hope ;).