Activist in my class

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Leatherneck for Life, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 21, 2016

People have asked me if my school has religious values. I didn't understand until I realized our school is the public charter school offshoot sister school of a local Catholic private school.

For the record, no, we don't teach religion. Since most of the student body is either Catholic or Mormon you might hear the kids debating stuff, but other than that, we're pretty boring that way.

2. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 21, 2016

Yeah, we are boring here too lol. All public schools. I've shut down many a conversation of kids trying to convert the kids.

I will say though, that all the districts I work in have some type of student-led program for Christian students (FCA Stands out, but there are others). But the key there is STUDENT led, not teacher led- even though a coach or teacher will often be the "sponsor" of the group or facilitate.

3. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 21, 2016

I still have issues with giving into a kid, but I guess in this case maybe it was for the best. But I would not send my kid to Christian school to try to "fix" him either.

SpecialPreskoo and Backroads like this.
  4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 22, 2016

Boot camp is for "fixing" ;)

5. Leatherneck for Life

Leatherneck for Life Rookie

Oct 28, 2016

So, I came across this kid in church last Sunday. He says, "I was wrong, Jesus made me see the light, but I have no desire to go back to that school, sir. I don't trust anybody to teach His true message if they get a salary to do it."

6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 29, 2016

Learning is not just arithmetic facts, it's applying them in real life situations. Learning is not just phonics, it's reading real information. Learning is not just reciting the periodic table of elements, it's making sound decisions based on one's knowledge of processes. And concerning religious or atheistic values, learning is thinking through what life is. A thinking teenager makes decisions about life; accepts one belief over another, accepts no beliefs, accepts all beliefs, or perhaps even decides it's not worth investigating. Some teenagers don't think, they just react. A thinking teenager needs to be encouraged to pursue his/her thoughts; these decisions will be the ultimate guide for all other life decisions both now and in the future. PallasAthena, I respect your candid opinion, but if I understood your post correctly, (assuming it won't be deleted), I question the common attitude that teenagers are mostly consumed by eroticism. Yes, of course they are developing physically and emotionally in all areas, but well guided teenagers are developing a mind that is growing into a well adjusted adult and are becoming an important beneficial member of society.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 29, 2016

Agree. OP is definitely a troll and this story is as real as bigfoot.

Obadiah likes this.
  8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 29, 2016

Since the original issue has been handled and we're now in its aftermath (and its fallout), I tend to agree that it's time to close this line of discussion.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    SpecialPreskoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.