Action painting

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by tiki7719, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 11, 2014

I recently seen a demo on action painting done in one of my teacher lit. classes.

I would like to experiment this at home with my niece and nephew. I have a few questions for the art teachers:

Any specific canvas I should use?

What type of paints do you recommend using?

The art teacher used spray bottles and ketchup/mustard bottles to create the masterpiece, any other suggestions that are easy for kids to use?

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 20, 2014

If you are using canvas, make sure that you have primed it. If not, any paint you might apply may leak through and stick the canvas to the floor. I'd still put a drop cloth down regardless.

Paper off a roll would also make a good substitute. Something largish.

The applicators you mentioned are fine. I know from researching Pollock that he used all kinds of items, like sticks, brushes, and all kinds of things, to get different effects. You should experiment.

As far as paint, I always liked latex house paint because when you thin it with water, it seems to remain homogenous. I don't know what costs would be for quarts/ gallons of latex versus acrylics. I would think for quality of color, you'd get a better deal on latex but if that doesn't matter, student grade acrylics may cost less.