Acrylic nails

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

I had acrylic nails put on back in April, in preparation for a job fair. I really liked them and continued to have them filled until July when I decided to give my nails a break and had them removed.

I'm thinking of getting them done again, but this time I'd like to try gel nails instead of acrylic. It's a little more expensive, but they're supposed to last longer and look nicer. Does anyone do this? My friend has hers done with gel, and they look 100% natural. I've heard they break more often, but I keep mine very short, so I'm hoping this won't happen to me.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2008

I heard they don't break as often!! (It's gel on top of tips)... Also much faster in and out of salon. Try it!

4. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

I love gels....I keep mine super short (when I have them on) and I have only had two breaks...once with the edge of my desk, and once when slammed in the edge of a door....try them, I think you will like them!

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2008

I hated the gels. They were always breaking or coming off. Maybe it was just the technician that did them. I switched places and now have acrylics.

6. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

When I had them, they were a pain to keep "refreshing". They also pick up germs, therefore nurses/doctors are not allowed to have them. One good thing, they don't chip!

7. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

Acrylic and gel nails both pick up germs. Some food places don't allow their workers to have them either, when I worked at a coffee shop we couldn't. I would imagine regular nails pick up germs as well...gunk can build up under a natural nail just as well as a fake nail.

My sister has gotten gel nails, she likes them because they are "shiny" longer, hehe.

8. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I love the look of nails, but just can't bring myself to pay for them every month. I just go with basic at home clear and pink-ish clear on my nails. I do splurge during the hot months (which is about 9 months of the year in Cali) to get my toes done...I love a great pedi!

I recommend gel from when I did get my nails done...back when I paid for nails and not bills :)

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2008

I think solar nails are supposedly the best. I've always had an acrylic french manicure whenever I've had my nails done.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2008

As you get older, they grow..on their own

Keep gloves and lotion nearby. Those of us who have to sanitze tables with bleach water, use gloves. I don't care what people say or how they stare. I always use gloves!

And every time you wash your hands, use lotion. I like Vaseline Healthy Hand & Nail especially at night. A nail tech used it on me once, and I fell in love. I also coat my hands in Vaseline, and wear cotton gloves, especially in the winter. That works great for chapped hands.

I keep little trial size bottles of lotion everywhere. Never caught without a bottle.

As you get older, they get very thick (who knew?) and lose color, and become pale and the ridges make them look dirty! They get thicker with age as I can see them more pronounced in my Dad.

I sand down the ridges, and put white polish under the tips, and they look young again.

Haven't done the acrylics in 20 years!

No longer need them.

I think it's best if you use the glue on ones, for special occassions, and then give nails a rest, and let them grow on their own.

hard as nails really works.

I think the store brought ones are good, and not has hard on your natural nails. If they pull off, they come of easily. With the salon nails, they make a nasty rip, down to the bed, and you have to cut the entire nail off. Then trying to get off the rest of that acrylic nail burns like crazy when you use that acetone! :(

good luck with whatever you decide...

11. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I tried it, cant handle false nails, and I managed to break mine on a regular basis even though I had them really short (couldn't even see them from my palm side of my hand) Gel ones lasted about 36 hours, acrylic about a week before I broke the first one then a few days later the rest were off. I cou;dn't be bothered. My nails are thin, peel and tear so easily but I'd rather them be like that and know that they didn't cost me a weeks pay!

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

I have never had a problem with my gel nails.
    I keep them on the short side and oval tips to look more natural.
    I fill them every 3 weeks.

Acyric worked for me as long as I filled every 2 weeks. After that they chipped.

Good luck and enjoy them again.
    For me as a teacher and mother of 3 munchkins,
    the 1 hour and $25 is priceless.

13. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I used to get my nails done all the time (fake). But they really messed up my real nails. I haven't had them done in about 2 years. I go in for manicures and like those better. They can do a french or american, or paint them with color and I keep mine short anyway. I touch up about every other night with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. This helps keep your manicure nice and nails strong. I could go about 2 weeks between manicures. Sometimes I go more though because of expense.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 5, 2008

Well, I did go and get gel nails today. Wow. I've never cared much about shoes, fancy bags, makeup, or trendy clothes, but I have a new appreciation for gel nails....they look great! :) I'm glad I did it.

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

Solar nails???? Sounds like something from the Jetsons!

I hate paying to get acrylics on as well. I cannot wrap my mind around paying 30 sometimes 40 dollars just for a set of nails!!! I'm a nail biter (I know I know, it's disgusting!) but once in a while when my husband gets really annoyed with my biting I try my best to stop and grow out my natural ones. I like getting a french manicure painted on them. Too bad it only lasts 3 days... :(

16. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I've had acrylics since literally 1998 and switched to the crystal powder back in the spring and the gels in early summer. I love them and then never ever break even tho they are long. :)