ACP Texas and landing job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by heatherl, Aug 13, 2008.

1. heatherl

heatherl Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I'm thinking about getting certified in Texas to teach by 09-10 school year. I currently have a Bachelor's in Political Science. Right now I work in the corporate field and many of my co-workers have advised how hard it is to land a teaching job. I'm skeptical as it seems there are many available jobs.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Is it a myth, or maybe I should get MAT instead?

Also, would my chances increase by being certified in a certain area (i.e. Secondary vs. 4-8). My concentration area would be Social Studies.

All information and advice greatly appreciated :)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2008

Social studies is a hard subject to crack into either in middle or high school. Most social studies teachers are also coaches. I know in my district you just have to pass the PE exam and have knowledge of the sport you would coach. I know my husband is going back to school for his history degree and hen will probably go through the ACP program. I have already contacted our district to see if they hire ACP candidates and they say they do. Plus, if you go through a university ACP then you can possibly get your MAT as well. My sister just finished hers and has been teaching for 2 years.

4. heatherl

heatherl Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Are you saying Social Studies teaching jobs are far and few between without also being a coach?

Secondly, I'm in Houston, and I've found a ton of Job Listings, so I don't know why people say they have a hard time getting hired?

5. taw24

taw24 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I am also from Texas! People have a hard time being hired because there are only so many jobs available and many many applicants. I went to a job fair that ended up having over 700 job seekers which does not take into account the people who had just applied or the other job fairs this district has attended. This was not even a large district like Dallas or Ft. Worth. I would agree that almost all social studies teachers are coaches this is what I have seen. I am in a MAT program; I decided on this because it would have taken me the same amount of time to get my masters as it would to just receive my certification. Good luck with what ever you decide.

6. gazing_iscariot

gazing_iscariot Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I've got my BA in English and wanted to teach 8-12 English - so I went through an ACP to get certified and I've been completely unable to land any interviews, not to mention a job yet. I've passed my test and have both subbing and teaching assistant experience behind me, but one of the teachers at my school I assist at right now said I'm 4th in line behind anyone else that applies for a position because of my acp status.

Anyway, I wouldn't have wasted my time with acp if I new it wouldn't get me anywhere.

I've since been applying for positions elsewhere.

7. smalltowngal

Aug 13, 2008

:2cents:

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 13, 2008

Like others have said, in my district (north, suburban Houston area), if you want to teach history, you need to have your composite social studies certification so that you can teach gov't/eco/geography/psych/sociology/history. Without that, you are pretty much useless to the district. Also, nearly all of our social studies teachers at the middle/high school level are coaches. Generally, they are P.E. certified as well, but that isn't a hard rule. If you have experience in the sport, that will count, providing that the sport isn't football.

9. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I also did my ACP, and yes, there are a ton of listings on the HISD website, but several of those don't exist any more. If you call the school, they will tell you the position has been filled. Even thought htey tell you they will hire ACP, they will usually go for someone who actually has experience. I have now been trying for over a year and have had a few interviews, mostly because of people I know in the regional offices.

10. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

This is correct. There may seem like there are a lot of jobs in Texas but there is a huge amount of applicants. There is a lot of competition in Texas.

11. heatherl

heatherl Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Wow, thanks for all the response, I think.
    This is kind of disheartening. I currently hold a great corporate job and have informed them of my plan assuming that I'd just automatically land a teaching job. Now it seems not so likely.
    I'm planning on finalizing my ACP classes Summer 09 and starting the internship search then as well.
    The internship is paid on a probationary certificate status. Does that mean an internship is the "pre-job?" If so, then I should base keeping / when to resign from my current job based off when I land an internship?

12. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

I completed an ACP program last year. I was hired on my 3rd interview. In my opinion, it's easier to get hired in a "high demand" position. These are Math, Science, Special Ed., and anything Bilingual. This will be my 2nd year teaching BMOD. I love it and I only have 3 students on my roster this year, so far. I'd eventually like to teach 5th grade Science and Social Studies, but this position was a great "foot in the door." I was hired at my first pick distict and only have a 5 minute drive to work. I'd like to get my Masters, but this way I was earning a salary right away. Good Luck! :)

13. taw24

taw24 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I was looking for an internship position but I did not find one. They look for fully certified teachers first and then if there is a shortage they look at those who need an internship. BUT there is not a shortage. You get paid as the teacher of record and then you get your state certification. See if you can find a program that offers student teaching.. perhaps a university. This way if you can't find an internship you have a back up plan. You will not be paid but you will get experience.

14. smalltowngal

Aug 13, 2008

Good advice, taw. If you get your internship then you would be paid as a step 0 on the pay scale.

15. heatherl

heatherl Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Thanks for all the information and advice everyone. A couple of questions.
    So, IF I happen to get lucky and land an internship, then it'd be a secured position, once I'm finished with the probationary year period?
    What is salary for step 0?

16. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

In my district you are considered probationary for the first 3 years. You get a new contract each school year in April. :cool:

17. smalltowngal

Aug 13, 2008

If you land an internship this year, it is not guaranteed that you will have a job for the next year. The principal will have to evaluate you and depending on the evaluation will either recommend you or not recommend you for re-hire.

Salary step will vary wildly depending on what district you get hired in.

18. heatherl

heatherl Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I think with the program I'm applying to, they accept about 1,000/2,700 and place intern applicants on priority lists throughout the district. Moreover, they pay interns first year teacher salary.
    If that is the case, I'm hoping that helps my cause in finding a job more easily. I guess I have a hard time thinking interns wouldn't secure a position unless they were just a really crappy intern. I don't see myself landing a paid position and performing any less than I would as a full contracted teacher. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see that many teacher prospects landing internships with the corresponding hardwork would slack in an internship.
    To me, it seems it is beneficial for districts to keep quality interns. But, as I'm a newcomer, I could be missing things. This is why I'm asking all the questions before I even enter the program.

19. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 14, 2008

I'm currently in an ACP program and have been looking for an internship position since late spring. I haven't been called for an interview and almost all of the position that I applied for have been filled. I went for 4-8 generalist and History 8-12. I could get both of these tests quickly because they were CAT tests. I hope to add Social Studies 8-12 and Technology Application EC-12 in the future. I don't know why I didn't get called for an interview, but I just received my test scores last week, so it was pretty late. I'm too far for comfort from Fort Worth or Dallas ISD, so my school districts are limited to a few medium sized to very small districts. I don't want to be too far from my son's school. I'm not surprised that I haven't found a job, but wish I'd at least been given a chance. I picked up the sub packet for the district I live in yesterday.

So, its been hard, I'm a little down but we'll see what happens. I'm hoping with subbing I can get some recent letters of recommendation and experience in. I was just really hoping for health insurance though. That has been a top priority for me going into the program.

Good luck.

20. tracy

tracy Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

I think the whole ACP program is a joke. I also believe that there is no shortage of teachers in Texas. I've applied to over 100 teaching positions and only had two call backs, one from an Islamic School and another from a Charter School. I actually tested for a customer service position last week. I hope to hear something from them soon. Oh, I also, have one year teaching experience from an out of state school and still no luck getting teaching position in Texas.

21. smalltowngal

Aug 15, 2008

I did not go the ACP route and I'm still having trouble getting a job. I know a few ACP candidates that have subbed for a few years before finally getting their first classroom this year. I think it depends on your area of certification, location in Texas, and what ACP program you went through.