ACK, only one week of vacation left!!!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aliceacc, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 20, 2012

You are making me feel like I'm behind. I haven't planned anything. Just waiting for orientation to get more info about everything. I suppose you went to the school ahead of time to get all this stuff.

2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 20, 2012

I got my books ahead of time. All of the curriculum maps and scope and sequence are online. You're not behind...I'm just anal. I make a detailed PPT for EVERY DAY. I don't know if it will sustain like that all year, but I have them to start because it was so stressful creating them the night before during student teaching. Maybe I'll find some things I need to change after orientation, but at least I have the hard part done.

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2012

My school has recently expanded the Calculus program, which is great. Quite a few of our seniors (and even 5-6 juniors) take Calc and do well on the AP exam. I think we have 4 Calc AB classes and 1 Calc BC class. I'm pretty amazed by how well some of these kids do.

We just introduced Calc AE, which doesn't count for AP credit but goes until integration by parts. That was a huge hit for those kids who don't need to repeat trig but weren't quite ready for AP Calc.

I would love to teach Calc too! Right now, we have three excellent teachers teaching our Calc classes who have been at the school for a while. I think you need to be at the school for about 15-20 years before they let you teach Calc or the upper level trig classes, which makes a lot of sense.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 20, 2012

I know some schools like that, but my current school is not. No first year teachers with those courses, but we have third teachers teaching AP Calc AB and twenty-third year teachers teaching Essentials of Geometry. The supervisor really likes to put people where their strengths are. My best friend from college was hired to teach AP Stats his first year at a nearby school. He's freaking out a bit about that.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

Something relatively minor I accomplished today: I cleaned out my school email inbox.

I have the NHS kids email me any changes to the schedule, so I'm embarassed to admit I had well over 600 emails there. I went through them, one by one, saving the few I might want to refer to.

Minor, but at the same time a job that desperately needed doing!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

teach42, what will you be teaching?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

Tomorrow is new teacher orientation, and I'm going in to help out. (I'm also hoping to snag some serious time on the Xerox machine!)

Summer really is winding down :(

Say it ain't so!!!!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I suppose that one of these days I really should get my Geometry notes back in the right order, shouldn't I????

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

One of these days...:whistle: Just like one of these days I need to get down on paper what my Literacy block is going to look like :whistle:.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

Still haven't tackled those Geometry notes. Though I must admit, it's not really urgent that it happen at all. As long as I have a course outline, I'm fine without notes.

I did get a big of Xeroxing done this morning when I was in school... a bit of Geometry and some NHS stuff. I also got a school calendar, so I can start NHS scheduling. I'll need kids working Meet the Teacher Night, so we kick it into gear the 2nd or 3rd day of school.

Maybe this afternoon I'll start the schedule.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 24, 2012

I was going to go in every day this week to get my classroom set up! But we are experiencing temperatures in the high 30s (Celcius) so the neighbour's pool was much more inviting!! I have all next week to get ready!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

I actually got some NHS stuff done. I've scheduled kids to cover events up to the Christmas concerts.

Realistically, that's all I can do until the new crop of members gets approved.

13. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

1 week left here. I went to my classroom this week to drop off supplies. I sent my welcome papers/course requirements out to get printed today. Next week I have to go back and set up. But in all honestly I'm ready to go back. We need the money as my husband's school does not have the summer pay option so we were a 1 income family all summer. I'd like to take out first paychecks and go out to dinner because we haven't gone all summer.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

Ouch!!

I'm very glad I went in for new teacher orientation today.

I found a Fax in my mailbox, dated mid July.

I ordered NHS pins, necessary for our assembly on September 25, right after July 4.

Apparently for an order that big, you need the signature of either the principal or Treasurer. I got it, then faxed it right in.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

I'm glad I was in this week as well. We have higher numbers in our grades 6, 7 and 8 than we have before, so we need some additional coat/backpack hooks installed in one of the halls upstairs. They won't be ordered Monday, the first day our Administrative Assistant is back, but at least the order is already on her desk.

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2012

The other day I got 70 feet worth of stuff laminated at Lakeshore. In the process of cutting it all out- I'm going into work next Wednesday and Thursday. Summer really is just about over for me. But I'm looking forward to going back and seeing how different it's going to be to have little 3rd graders.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Well, today is my last day of vacation :(

Tomorrow is a day of meetings, the rest of the week is freshman orientation.

Peter had to go in today; they do a full week of orientation.

Brian's orientation is one morning this week, and all 3 kids return next week. (Though I do have to check the calendar. They've always returned the Wednesday after Labor Day, but last year it was changed to Tuesday.) Once I know the day, I really have to call our sitter.

And so it ends. Aside from Peter's medical issues, it was a wonderfully relaxing summer. We had lots of time together,and capped it with a magnificent time in Disney.

Now we return to reality.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Have a great day back!

I'm still off until next Tuesday.:)

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Most of our school is as well. But we'll have a good 800 or so kids, mostly freshmen (but also any new 6-8th graders) in this week, as well as the whole faculty.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Full days this week, Alice? Do the freshmen have a full schedule each day?

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Yes, they do.

Lunch is provided, ending with a barbecue (hopefully out in the courtyard, weather permitting) and a DJ on Friday after a morning run-though of their classes.

Before that, they spend their time as a homeroom. They're going to be together in homeroom for 4 years; the homerooms don't change. So they'll do a session on study skills, one or two on activities, an art one where they make up individual coats of arms-- that one tells the homeroom teacher a bit about each kid right away. They get their ID pictures taken. They visit the chapel and learn about the religious component of the school, and the gym where they get their lockers and gym suits. The 3 days fly right by, and by the end they've made a few friends.

That first day of real school, when they walk into a cafeteria with 650 kids in it, they already have a few friends to sit with. They may not be BFFs for the next 4 years, but they do find some friendly faces.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Nice, supportive way to acclimate the newbies!:cool:

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Yeah, it really is.

A lot of our kids come from about 60 or 70 schools, some small enough that the graduating 8th grade class is 20 kids or so.

Then they find themselves in a high school with 600+ freshmen!!! So the 3 days of orientation make a huge difference in their comfort level. During those 3 days, the only kids in the building are the new kids and the kids who have been chosen to help-- we always get far more applicants than we can use.

So everyone is a little lost, and it's OK.

24. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

I cannot imagine a high school that big! It's the same size as the college I went to!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Last year we had 2550 kids.

I think this year we're a bit closer to 2600.

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2012

I really wish more high schools would do that too, Alice. I know when I first started high school, I was a wreck. We had just moved to a new town (again) and I knew no one. Didn't know the school at all, anyone else there, the teachers, the layout, anything. It's a no wonder it was all too much for me and I went into homeschool! My case was a bit extreme as I was also painfully shy, but even for other kids, I'm sure it's very stressful to start high school.

Well, my first day is today, but I MIGHT be starting a new afterschool program in a town closer to home. Just waiting on the official offer.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Well, it's over :(

School starts this morning.

I love my job, but I'll really miss being home with Peter and the kids. These last 2 weeks have been so stressful, particularly for Peter.

That said, I love the start of a new school year. In what other job do you return to work after a long vacation, and get to totally reinvent yourself? You take what you want from last year, and change anything that wasn't working, or that wasn't working well enough.

Here's to a wonderful school year for all of us!!

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Have a great day, Alice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.