ack, moving to a portable (all of the sudden)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs Ski, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 29, 2010

So we get keys to our classrooms on Monday. But today we have been informed that 4th grade will be moving to the portables. The last time I was up at school the portables had not even been delivered. (I will be doing a drive by later)

I had great plans for my other classroom. I know it will be fine, but i remember the portables from when I was in school and they were always too hot or too cold, very cramped, it is cold to walk back and forth. It is a long way to the restroom, especially for staff.

Good news is they are expanding 3rd and 4th grade to accommodate more students. (YAY, people like us) And that means 2 more teachers get jobs and we will get to add somebody to our team.

I am not even sure why I am posting, I have no questions. I just had to get it out I guess.

Anybody have great positives about being in the portables, instead of our nearly brand new building, with beautiful windows. :(

3. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

Last year I was in a portable... we had kids bathrooms in the classroom and a teacher bathroom in the hall. There were 4 of us in the "learning cottage." We loved in because it was like we were in our own lil world... it was also prek.

But yes I agree it is cold/hot/rainy to walk back and forth to the main building. It was a covered walkway luckily.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

One plus for us is that we don't get many visits from administration. It's either too cold or too hot or raining or too far. Suits me just fine. They generally do a walk through of the attached buildings every day. Depending on circumstances, they may get to us a couple of times per month.

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 29, 2010

I call them the palaces:). I can control my own ac and heat. Yay!!!
    I get more steps on my pedometer taking trips to the office. Yay!!!
    I am closest to the dismissal area. Yay!!!
    Less rules about what to use to hang things on the walls. Yay!!!
    Less interruptions with the intercom, only called on the walkie talkies when it applies to me. Yay!!!
    Less trips to the office to make because I've learned to go there with a list of what I need to do and make the trip count. I save time. Yay!!

Lots of things might be better in the main building. Donuts are fresh, but I don't need them. Coffee is better, I hate coffee.

Portables are what you make them.:cool:

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

I like that you are trying to get positive vibes about this move. Since it's new for the school, I think you'll really establish the tone - so make it positive. Give your new zone a nickname, maybe related to your school mascot. I subbed somewhere where the teachers referred to themselves as "trailer trash" - they were kidding - and I don't recommend that, but you have great potential to make it a place other classes wish they could be.

7. historynut

historynut Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

I always say mine has floor to ceiling bulletin boards. We have wood paneling in ours and no one cares about staples, thumbtacks, etc.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010

And...if they are just moved on...there is joy in moving into a brand new room with no previous teacher junk, old files, and stuff you have to sort through and throw out! And...it may mean you get new furniture if they are expanding.

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 29, 2010

I loved not having to figure out how to get things on the wall.
    If it was raining you were assured that the admin wouldn't come out. Heck, if it was sunny most of the time we were sure they wouldn't come out either (unless they were bringing a new kid)
    Own ac/heat as someone else said.
    I was lucky while I was in the portables it didn't rain alot thank goodness. The year I changed levels and went back in the building it was rain 3 days out of 5.

10. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 30, 2010

The school is just starting it's third year so all the furniture is new. (my old classroom had furniture) Furniture is scheduled to be delivered on the 9th. My plan was to start getting classroom ready on Monday, because once we are on contract days (13th) we will have very little time in our classrooms. And my old classroom was cleaned out by previous teacher, and if it wasn't I know where her new classroom is I would have just delivered it. However I helped her move out so that is a moot point.

I am not worried about rain. I live in UTAH I am worried about SNOW.

11. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 30, 2010

[​IMG]

This is my bathroom dilemma.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Is there some bushes out behind the portable? :lol:

13. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jul 30, 2010

I think the portables have bathrooms..you might want to check and see :)

14. Harper

Harper Companion

Jul 30, 2010

Some portables have bathrooms - cross your fingers.

Let's find more bright sides! I am constantly sidetracked by other people, the faculty room, trips to office, etc. A portable would allow me to be productive and efficient allowing me to go home sooner! And, I could better choose who I talk to and when!
    :)
    Looking for bright sides....

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Have fun and make it an adventure.

You could get a lot of writing out of this, say, "On the way to the restroom I ran into a _____ and it ate _____." Make the story outrageous. "I wresteled a ____ on the way to the cafeteria."

If you have trees around your portable you could pretend you're in a jungle, if not, pretend you're in a desert or some place exoctic. When I was in one we had one of the rainiest seasons ever, if I'd thought about it we would have pretended we were in Hawaii or another rainforest where it rained every day. Gee, you could pretend to look out the windows and watch whales in the Pacific or monkies in the trees.

The floors have a hollow sound, you might do a tap dance with the kids, or pretend there's a troll under your trailor.

Oh my, collect the stories the kids write and publish a book! Have fun!

16. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Aug 5, 2010

UPDATE- the portables do have bathrooms YAY!

Bad news we can get in until monday, giving me a whole 3 days to get my entire classroom ready.

Good news I got to decide where the white boards would be hung and where the computer jack would be.

17. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

That's awesome!! You will truly have your own little castle!!! And, YAY, that you got to decide where things were going... that's way better IMO!!

Sounds like this might be an awesome adventure for you and your 4th grade team! Enjoy!!