Accutane

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Mar 25, 2013.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 25, 2013

The thread about oily skin made me think about my six month use of Accutane.

As soon as I hit puberty, I got major acne. It only got worse and worse, too. When I turned 16, my mom made me (I almost refused because I was so ashamed of how much acne I had) go to a dermatologist.

Anyway, he prescribed Accutane right away. The results were truly amazing. The acne completely disappeared, I didn't have any scars, and 15 years later, the acne has never resurfaced.

I've heard horror stories from people who used this medicine. Has anyone here been prescribed Accutane?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2013

I could have benefited from seeing a dermatologist, but that just wasn't an option for us growing up. When my sister was old enough to go independently and was given the drug she unfortunately experienced mental side effects.

I am just extremely hesitant to use any prescribed drugs, so I would be afraid to try Accutane. Glad it worked for you, though! I know it helped many people.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2013

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 25, 2013

I saw my 1st dermatologist at about age 12, but definitely not regularly all this time. I've never used Accutane. I heard of it, but heard that it was quite harsh with harsh side effects. Yet, I heard it does help some people. I've used Retin-A quite a lot though & Duac Topical Gel, which is clindamycin & benzoyl peroxide.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 25, 2013

I used Retin-A as well. I was also put on birth control. We tried some other things too, including injecting the scars. My scars aren't as visible now and the ones that are visible don't bother me. I used to really hate my scars and be ashamed of them. Both BF and I have acne scars on our shoulders though so that's kind of funny.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 25, 2013

I was on it as well-my experience was just after college. I also did not want to go to a dermatologist, mostly because I thought they would say drink more water, eat less pizza and french fries, etc. It worked really well for me too, I remember my lips being really, really chapped but other than that no side effects. I rarely get a blemish anymore even now almost 20 years later.

I was also surprised to hear of the psychological effects people claimed. I know in some places they won't even prescribe it anymore.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2013

I was on Accutane from about 11-14 or so. Never had any side effects. I remember having to go in every month for blood tests, to me it just meant my mom would buy me a delicious muffin from the store next door after my appointment! :)

I still have mild acne that I mostly can keep under control now with tea tree oil and Differin. Anything else is too strong and seriously dries out my face. I can't even use Differin every day.

9. storyh

storyh Companion

Mar 25, 2013

I am happy to read that people have had positive results on accutane. I am in my 30's and have had acne since I was about 12 or 14 and its pretty bad most of the time. I have started seeing a dermatologist and will start accutane this summer.

10. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 25, 2013

Accutane was mentioned specifically in my child development text as a major teratogen. Accutane has since been faced with major rewrites of their material because of the problems it caused with infants of women who took Accutane.

"We depend on vitamin A for the health of our skin, hair, mucous membranes and immune system. But in excess, vitamin A and its derivatives are toxic to the developing organism. Taken during the first trimester of pregnancy, Accutane causes extensive damage, including eye, ear, skull, brain, heart, central nervous system, and immune system abnormalities. Corrine's baby was born with multiple defects, including heart disease, facial deformities and hydrocephalus (accumulation of excess fluid, which compresses and damages the brain). After extensive treatment, including heart surgery, he died at 9 weeks of age."

"Accutane's packaging warns users to avoid pregnancy and also states that the drug must not be used by women who are pregnant. Furthermore, early case reports of of infants damaged by the drug caused the manufacturer to step up efforts to get doctors to inform patients about the importance of abstaining from intercourse or using two methods of birth control if taking Accutane."
    "Infants and Children: Prenatal Through Middle Childhood (7th Edition)" by Laura E. Berk
    http://www.amazon.com/Infants-Child...2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364270276&sr=8-2&keywords=berk

That scared me silly when I read it.

I will say, though, that education is key in this situation as in many situations. And while I've never had a problem with acne, my cousin does and I've seen the pain it's put her through. She's 19 and has had severe acne since she was about 12 while her older sister never had any issues. The warnings on most drugs ought to scare me away, this one is no major exception!

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2013

I used to beg my dermatologist for accutane. He said he would only prescribe it to boys because of the pregnancy side effects and "there wasn't enough research" to determine how long the effects stay in the body/if it would cause problems years later. I'm 25 and I still have to take a whole lineup of prescriptions for my acne. I would have loved to take a course of accutane and be done with it! I had a (male) friend in high school who took it and his face was horribly, horribly dry (think chunks of dried skin sticking out everywhere) for the time that he was on it. They told him no moisturizer and only to drink lots of water. However, once he got off it he had no acne at all and his skin still looks great. My prescription regime had been working really well, but when I went to a new school I got new insurance and they didn't cover ANYTHING I was previously taking. I have an appointment with a dermatologist tomorrow- I'm hoping she can do something. I saw a derm for years before finally finding the right combination of medications.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2013

I just want to give a shout out for tea tree oil.

I had horrible acne when I was younger and moderate acne up until about 3 years ago. I'm 25 and I still have a little bit. My skin is horribly dry so anything with benzoyl peroxide in it (which is like EVERY acne treatment or Rx) dries my face so bad it almost burns. I've been using tea tree oil on my face now for about 3 years and the results are amazing. The best part is- it's cheap and NATURAL. No more nasty chemicals drying my face out.

I use a tea tree oil combo which has lots of other oils in it. Tea tree oil by itself is very severe. But this bottle has lots of other good things in it that help my skin as well. I put it on every time I get out of water (shower, pool, etc because my face gets so dry) and before I go to bed. And I use OXY to spot treat any big pimples that come up.

Anyways, rant over. But seriously, if you guys are still having issues with acne I highly recommend it. I started seeing significant results after about a month of using it.

This is the bottle I buy. You can get it at Walmart in the hair section.

[​IMG]