"accountable talk"

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by smalagreca, Aug 27, 2009.

1. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Aug 27, 2009

Has anyone heard this expression before? I was asked to model a lesson tomorrow with a read aloud and "accountable talk". Help!

BTW< I am an experienced teacher with many years behind my belt. I was asked to to this in a city school so I am unsure if it is something particular they do.

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 27, 2009

4. monsieurteacher

5. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Aug 27, 2009

Thanks everyone. I spoke to a friend who works in the city. She said basically after a story the teacher poses an open ended questions and allows a discussion to take place. The idea is that this is a discussion and children can back up how and why they feel a certain way.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

Accountable talk is deep book talk- you can have kids turn and talk to a partner about a 'thick' question you pose- crawl around listening to a few partnerships...Regather the group. Ask kids to share what their partner said...Ask more questions to get kids to make connections to what others said...

7. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Aug 27, 2009

Its not just one question. Its a discussion. The one question where they share with a partner is part of it but that is called TURN and TALK.

8. monsieurteacher

Aug 27, 2009

Can anyone tell me exactly what makes this kind of talk "accountable talk"? Who came up with that label? Doesn't make sense to me!

9. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Aug 27, 2009

Yet another buzz word FOR NOW. In theory, the kids are being held accountable by participating in the convos and backing their responses up with reasons.

10. monsieurteacher

Aug 27, 2009

I guess so... it just doesn't sit well with me... when I think of accountability I think more of character education...

11. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 27, 2009

When I think of accountability, I think of state testing...ugh.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

Yeah, I know what it is. I teach it, we live it in my classroom.

I said turn and talk and then you lead the discussion part by facilitating the conversation, asking additional questions, helping students make connections to what has already been said...the accountability part in what I posted is you listening in on conversations to make sure they are 'on track' and then having students share what their PARTNERS said, growing their thinking around a 'big' talking idea ...

It's so much more than a 'buzz word'...it puts more ownership on the students to push their own thinking through listening to and considering others' viewpoints, deepens connections and comprehension....

Here's more if you are still unsure, smalagreca:
    http://www.teachersnetwork.org/ntny/nychelp/Professional_Development/talk.htm

13. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Feb 1, 2011

I'm looking for information on how to ensure "Accountable Talk" in the classroom and found this old thread! Oh MY (it's old)!

I want to start "Accountable Talk" with my classes. My fear is that some partners or small groups will start talking about their weekend, the fight in the hall last period, who got suspended yesterday, or the weather!

I know modeling is an important first step and I think I will have that in check. I checked out the links in this thread.

Any other ideas for me?

I have a rather tough group mid-day: 10 students total, but my roughest group by far.

This is 6th grade.

14. dudeteacher

dudeteacher Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

Think.....

I learned something called the Turn and Learn just last week. The presenter from pepnonprofit said to give the kids process time "Think" or "Take a sec...ond and reflect", about 15 seconds or more, and then say, "Turn and" the kids respond with "learn" and have some of that accountable talk. I've used it a lot these last two days.

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

It's basically the same thing as turn and talk or think, pair, share. But it is truly incredible.

Another thing that I use is note texting. I have my students write notes to a partner while I read aloud or during discussion. We discuss any questions or comments from the notes. Then I collect the notes so that I can see what they were thinking.

16. tnv

tnv Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

I agree with mopar that it is a great technique....which ever one you choose to use. Kids explaining content is never a bad thing. I've been having my kids use language line sentence frames to help with their conversations. I got them from the positive engagement project.....but haven't heard about the turn and learn thing that dudeteacher referred to. I've always used the Think-Pair-Share with my kids, but Turn and Learn is pretty clever.

tnv

17. AnonyMS

Feb 2, 2011

Okay, so I'm hearing that there is "Accountable Talk" and then also "Turn and Learn" or "Turn and Talk" (I thought that this was a part of Acccountable Talk, no?) and then also "Think-Pair-Share".

Are they not basically the same thing? What are the differences?

Also, how, exactly, do you ensure on-topic conversations??

I like the note-taking idea, mopar!

tnv - can you give an example of the sentence frames? Thanks!

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

They are all basically the same thing. It's just a difference in how you say it and what you are communicating to the students. I like the idea of telling the students to turn and learn instead of talk...this might help them to stay on task more.

To keep conversations on-topic, you really limit the time. Then you share by randomly calling on a student or having all students write a response on an exit slip or some other way to let them know that everyone is accountable!

19. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2011

I agree with czacza, I live this life every day as well. "Accountable Talk" is a great way to make your read aloud an "interactive read aloud" with the students thinking, jotting down "burning thoughts" as you read and then "turn and talk" about their thinking. It doesn't necessarily have to be sparked from a question from the teacher, it can be very spontaneous, stopping at a major event in the story, and then prompt the students in this way: "Oh my, the character is acting in a strange way, turn and talk to your partner and share what you are thinking right now......go!" I love doing "turn and talks" in this way because so often the students have a hard time with having "burning thoughts" when they are reading alone or when they don't have a prompt from the teacher. This way, I can see which students are lost and which students are able to think deeper about the book, ask themselves questions, and make inferences about characters without a prompt from me. The accountability comes into play when students are held accountable for thinking at all times and partners hold them accountable as well. They are taught how to "piggy back" off of what their partners say etc.

20. AnonyMS

Feb 2, 2011

Yes. This is what I want to do in my classroom (I just started 2 weeks ago!). I found a list of prompts for Accountable Talk which I hope to type up and laminate for class use.

I love the "Turn and Learn" prompt better than the "Turn and Talk".

THANK YOU!

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

This thread has been around for a while! The strategy is a good one and worthy of revisiting though... OP hasn't been back in over a year, but I found it interesting that s/he was 'unsure' about the practice in the first post but then felt the need to correct those who were informed and actively practicing the strategy and then called the practice a 'buzz word'. In any case, getting kids to have meaningful conversations about reading clarifies their thinking and deepens comprehension.:thumb: that's always a good thing.;)

22. AnonyMS

Feb 2, 2011

czacza - I did a search for "Accountable Talk" and found this as the last thread on the topic, then added my post to it. I did wonder what the outcome was of the OP so I was hoping to hear.

I just started my position two weeks ago (took over from a long-term sub) and want to do Accountable Talk in my classroom (number one, I'm on-board with it and number two I believe it is a district-mandate). I did a search so I wouldn't start a new thread if one was already started (pet peeve of mine that so many threads on the same topic are started when a post could have been added onto one that had already been started).

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2011

So how's it going, anon?

The OP ticked me off a bit, but This is a topic worth revisiting.

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2011

It's funny how this thread came back from the dead...lol

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2011

I'm always somewhat bemused by resurrected threads...

26. tnv

tnv Rookie

Feb 4, 2011

Language Lines---Sentence Frames

The sentence frames I use are called Language Lines. I got them from the Positive Engagement Project and they are a collection of frames used for different comprehension skills.....evaluating, summarizing, comparing and contrasting, predicting. What I love about them is that they are color coded and they progress from simple to more complex. For example if I wanted my kids to do cause and effect, I could have my ELL kids use the blue frames and my more advanced kids use the green ones (not sure if those are the actual colors or not, but just an example.)

________________ because _______________. is a simple example.
    effect cause

_____________ due to the fact that _______________.
    effect cause

is a more advanced language line.

I think there are six different comprehension skills listed on the Language Lines packet.

I hope that helps.

tnv

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 4, 2011

This was a BIG DEAL in Florida seven years ago when I was in college. All of my internships were with teachers who were using it. One important part is teaching kids how to agree and disagree with each other. Many teachers had gambits on posters all around the room to remind them how to say certain things.

I really liked it! I liked that my students could say, "Sarah just said that the book _______________ , but I think ______________ because ____________________." It really helped them with their analysis, writing, and even on those dreaded standardized tests! I even heard them applying the gambits in conversations at lunch or free time.

Then I moved to Louisiana and planned to use it, and my principal looked at me like I had grown another head. It was "strongly recommended" that I not use it, so I had completely forgotten about it until this thread. I wonder if I still have all my notes about it...

28. AnonyMS

Feb 5, 2011

Well, we have not had school all week due to snow. But I am doing my research and gathering information on using it.