Accountability for myspace pictures and the like...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by TeacherGrl7, May 28, 2007.

1. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jun 3, 2007

I still think that teachers are held to higher standards than the average Joe. A few years ago I was on a jury that had to decide if a teacher was guilty of a DWI. Over and over again I heard people on the stand make comments about the teacher being out late on a school night. "Late" was eleven o'clock.

2. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 3, 2007

I'm an insomniac, I would hate to hear how the jury would feel about my night life haha.

3. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 3, 2007

light the fire by 7am so that the classroom is warm by 8am...

that one made me laugh...hehe. :p

4. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jun 3, 2007

As far as putting those teacher rules "in context," consider the 1915 one. Only about 10 years later would Prohibition, flappers, speak-easies, shorter dresses and cigarette-smoking women be more common. It would be interesting to see the personal reactions of teachers from the 1915 rules, as those views had to have begun before the 1920s (I'm not a history buff, so I could be mistaken!).

5. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jun 3, 2007

My husband fell in the pool today, and I can't stop laughing. Now that would be pretty funny stuff for YouTube or MySpace. Yes, he was drinking wine. Now in sales you don't have to worry about getting fired for drinking and falling.:()

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jun 6, 2007

When i was in college they told us interns first thing that if we was caught on myspace or anything of that nature they would make sure that we would not be getting our educational degree. They said if they ever saw us on there or any forums that were not teaching wise we would be fired or we could lose our licence. But, I see it this way we wanted to be teachers and teachers are suppose to be held to a higher standard so we should be the part we are suppose to be. If we wanted to drink etc we should never have been a teacher but that is just my thoughts......:angel:

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 6, 2007

Ok, I have two comments...

That is ridiculous. I'm on a wedding planning forum on a daily basis. Does that mean that I could get fired or lose my license? Absolutely not. There are no grounds for that whatsoever.

I was legal to drink while I was in school (graduated at 22) and now as a 24 year old will have a drink from time to time. Every once in a while I order a glass of wine or a mixed drink with dinner at a restaurant and my fiance and I buy wine for the house every once in a while. Does that mean that I should have never become a teacher?

8. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jun 6, 2007

. . . . .

Teachers can drink.

Being held to a "higher" standard does not mean we cannot do things that are within our legal rights to do. We are able to partake in the American macroculture that we are preparing our students for--not that we should encourage drinking; our students are all underage. If you're a responsible drinker, then drinking is fine.

If there are pictures of a younger teacher at a bar dancing and drinking with friends--that's okay. People are supposed to have fun. Drunk driving and property damage while drunk is another matter.

Sorry if that sounds too defensive. It's supposed to be an affirmation.

9. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jun 6, 2007

A glass of wine is actually considered healthy by a lot of doctors. I remember a student and his parents making a very large deal out of one of my friends because she was drinking a beer at a 4th of July celebration. They started a lot of gossip at the school. I don't think teachers should go wild, but I don't think they should have to live boring lives either. Sometimes it's just fun to act crazy even when no alcohol is involved.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2007

Unless it's a religious based college and these are part of their moral clauses, they really can not legally do that. It is infringing on your personal rights.

Even if it's a religious college, I think those policies are bogus. Even the pastor at our church has a beer once in awhile. It's not a sin to drink, it's a sin to become intoxicated. My goodness.

11. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jun 6, 2007

OH MY!! I would hate to think that just because I like to have a glass of wine now and then, (which my doctor encourages for health reasons) or go to happy hour with a few of my TEACHER friends that that makes me unfit as a teacher. I would hope that is surely not what you meant! As I stated before, I think that being OF AGE and having a drink or two while out with friends or at dinner with my husband AND conducting myself responsibly IS setting a good example. Wow!!

12. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2007

I am over 21, way over 21, and I do drink. It is legal and no way should anyone judge me because I drink. We even make our own wine. You should see our wine cellar! It is filled with our homemade wine plus many others that we bought. I don't keep this a secret. The teachers at my school know about this and I have even exchanged bottles with 2 other teachers that make their own wine. A few of the parents even know this. Should I be fired, should I be looked down upon, no way. If I brought it to school then that would be a whole different story!

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 6, 2007

I had an issue with a senior posting a picture of my 13 year old with a caption with his name and the words my boyfriend. I know it was a joke, but I didn't find it funny. Another student shared it with my husband. I insisted that the photo be removed. To many perverts out there.

14. kteacher05

kteacher05 Guest

Jun 7, 2007

Wow I see that this is really a hot topic. Well I am a senior still in college but hopefully will be teaching full time by the fall of 2008. I think that it is an invasion of privacy for school administrators to go on someone's PERSONAL web page and judge their character. I myself do have a myspace page and it is public. Now I do not conduct myself unprofessionally on myspace but however if I were to chose to it would be my personal right. How someone choses to conduct their personal life is not a direct glimpse into how they conduct their professional life. As far as towns and school placing moral restrictions on their teachers, I think that is hypocritical of them. If it is ok to go into the personal web pages and private lives of teachers and judge them, then why is it not ok for teachers to have the same right to so to the parents of their students? Or maybe before people can become parents, someone has the right to judge them and say if they are fit due to the fact that they socially drink? Don't teachers have a right to living their lives the way they see fit? While I do agree that teachers are supposed to be of high morals, I think that a teacher still has the right to lead a personal life. Besides what may be incriminating and wrong to one person, may be perfectly acceptable to another.

Teachers deserve to have a life too!

15. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jun 7, 2007

I agree that teachers deserve to have a life too. Some people are just waiting for a chance to pounce on someone else.

16. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Jun 7, 2007

Same thing happened to me and I refused to sign even though I am not a drinker. There were also clauses about hair, tattoo, piercings, attire, etc. I met all their criteria yet It just was a red flag for me.

17. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jun 7, 2007

Are public school teachers allowed to have visable tattoos and unusual piercings?

18. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

I've seen several teachers at schools I've worked at with tatoos on their ankles. I have one, but it's not visible. I did keep that in mind when I got it and knew that I would be teaching some day.

19. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jun 7, 2007

No problem with tattoos in our district. One coach has several on his legs and wears shorts a lot. A female teacher has a visible butterfly on her arm.

20. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jun 7, 2007

I used to have my ears pierced a lot....one ear had 7 ear rings, the other had 3. When I started going into classrooms, I took all but one pair of ear rings out. I didn't have to, but I wanted to be taken seriously as a teacher. As far as I know, the school I'll be at next year doesn't have a policy on piercings/tatoos.

21. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 9, 2007

I had no idea when I asked this question that it would cause such a conversation!

22. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jun 10, 2007

Two things.
    Firstly, I didnt realise it was an underage drinking issue - here in Australia its legal to drink at 18 anyway.
    Secondly -does the Uni have the right to refuse the degree based on underage drinking, and if so, how can they prove it from a photo - it couldve had a non alcoholic drink in it no matter what caption was affixed.

23. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jun 10, 2007

I think it was the caption on the picture "Drunken Pirate" that got her in trouble. I also think she posted the picture herself. It doesn't seem like enough of a reason to refuse certification to me.

24. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 10, 2007

From what I remember of the article, it *wasn't* underage drinking. I believe the article said that she had been 25 when the picture was taken. Legal drinking age here in the United States is 21. So if my memory serves, she wasn't doing anything wrong.

25. kteacher05

kteacher05 Guest

Jun 11, 2007

I completely agree. She was an of age consenting adult who has the right to live her life her own way. One's personal life has nothing to do with one's ability to teach. And if tatoos are an issue, well then i'm in trouble. I have a visible tatoo on my foot. While it is tastlfully done, I have no plans on hiding it froma school district. My tatoo is a personal expression, but once again, has nothing to do with the way I teach.