Accommodations

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by SwOcean Gal, Apr 2, 2008.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 2, 2008

I am taking an introduction into SPED course at my college and we were discussing accommodations. I understand accommodations to be adjustments a teacher might make to assignments to aid a student in successfully completing the assignment, but it could also be behavior accommodations- like the, I am not sure what it is called so I will describe it, circular bumpy rubber seat cushion a child with sensory issues might use to help him/her understand his/her body in space and how to remain seated in a particular area without invading another child's space. (I hope this makes sense to all of you- I have seen them before and I know about them, but I have no idea what it is called).

What are some accommodations you employ in your classrooms and why? Do you have specific accommodations for specific disabilities?
    Would having a squeeze stress ball be considered an accommodation for a child that exhibits aggressive impulses, or is that a simplification of what a true accommodation would be? Thanks for any help/clarifications you can make and examples you could provide me with!

3. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

All of the things you mentioned would be accommodations. Some kids with ADHD might need some sort of figet or "motor" breaks. Those would be accommodations. Extended time for assignments would be an accommodation. Weighted blankets and vests are also accommodations.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 2, 2008

I have certain students that must sit in the front row, be giving a mouse pad to use to "tap" on, be given breaks every 20 minutes to get up to move around . . . I am not sure if this is what you mean. These are accomendations I make in my high school class room.

5. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 3, 2008

Alternative communication systems (including picture communication systems, voice output devices); ASL interpretation, Braille and large print materials, and other visually adapted items (use of high contrast colors etc); adaptive seating/utensils/equipment (chairs/writing implements/PE equipment); activity schedules and transition schedules for behavior modification. These are all modifications that are used.

Another thing that would be interesting, I see you're in MA, is to get your hands on the state's list of approved accommodations that may be used on the MCAS test (if they are written into the student's IEP). That would give you a different type of list of accommodatioions.

In an IEP, you consider the accommodations and the modifications you will make for a student. The difference is that modifications change the material to be learned in some way, while accommodations engineer the environment in some way to enable the student to learn the same material.

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 4, 2008

In an IEP, you consider the accommodations and the modifications you will make for a student. The difference is that modifications change the material to be learned in some way, while accommodations engineer the environment in some way to enable the student to learn the same material.

Oh, that is something I did not know. That is a good distinction, I would not have realized- thanks! I will look into the MA list of accommodations That is a great idea! Thank you!

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 4, 2008

These are great! Thank you, but could you clarify about the mouse pad? Is this a sensory issue, why does the student need to tap? I know in preschool we have the stress ball and I think that is for the same reason as the mouse pad, is it? Just to get the energy out and the student to be able to focus?

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 4, 2008

Thanks! Those are all great! In the jr high I sub in, they have bend and stretch between blocks (the students are in each class for 2 blocks each) so between each block they get up and stretch basically. Could that be an accommodation for a child with ADHD, in a different school where there is no bend and stretch time?