Accommodations for developmental eye delays

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by alschoolteacher, Sep 5, 2010.

1. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Sep 5, 2010

I need some help finding accommodations for one of my students. He was examined last year by an ophthalmologist using a developmental eye screening. He has 20/20 vision, but is delayed in all other aspects of vision. He has eye teaming, tracking, focusing, visual discrimination, visual memory, visual sequential memory, visual spatial relations, visual spatial orientation (letter and reversals), visual form constancy, visual closure, and visual figure ground issues. He also is color blind to some degree, has very low short memory retention, and has low gross motor skills. He has been in vision therapy since March, but they have focused on the gross motor skills. They won't begin fine motor skills for at least another month after he is retested at the 7 month mark. When he began, he could not cross the mid-line at all. With all of this going on, he is still coping fairly well. He is very bright, but these things are holding him back. This site has a lot of information on each of the problems, but no solutions for a teacher. http://www.childrensvision.com/reading.htm

We are required to use the workbooks that accompany Scott Foresman Reading street. Many of the pages are overwhelming to him. I am not sure how to make accommodations. I have already limited the amount that he is required to copy from the board or a book. It is the pages like this: http://www.pearsonsuccessnet.com/snpapp/iText/products/0-328-35331-0/pdfs/spellingpractice/006.pdf that I don't know how to accomodate. Any advice? Thanks!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2010

I can't access the file, but would enlarging the page and giving him only one section at a time help at all?

4. alschoolteacher

Sep 5, 2010

I have thought about enlarging them all. His teacher from last year seems to think that having numerous lines on the page is what is tripping him up. My principal also suggested that having a word box going straight down the page might be helpful. He seems to struggle more with his left to right tracking than his up and down tracking. This is the format of the page.

Word Box Here

Long Vowels CVCe
    Write the list word that makes sense in both phrases.

hum a ___ ___ ten shirt turn the ___
    ___ the piano ___ it to fit get a ___

____________ ____________ ____________
    -------------- -------------- --------------
    ____________ _____________ _____________

5. alschoolteacher

Sep 5, 2010

I also thought that I might give him a piece of white paper to cover the page with. He could move the paper down as he finished a section. He is very resistant to having visible accommodations. He refused to use a place marker during reading and a slanted board during writing.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2010

You know, when you were explaining the problem, it made me think of the little screen that comes in the Edmark program.

It's a colored piece of plastic that has a clear line in the middle. I'm sure they sell this elsewhere but I thought of the Edmark one. It's on the bottom of this picture, the blue plastic.

[​IMG]

Would that be helpful?

I had a student with a visual impairment and I would enlarge the textbook on the copier for her. I would do the story in large print and then the different parts of the workbook (word bank was it's own page, sometimes).

Seems like he might need some advocacy training, sensitivity training in the classroom etc. He needs to learn to advocate and not be embarrassed of his needs! That's a tough one when they're embarrassed.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 5, 2010

Make the pages simpler and less visually distracting. (i.e. instead of 20 problems on a page, make it 4 problems a page)

Label the colors on activities that require colors.

8. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2010

We have those Edmark screen things, but not from Edmark, you can buy them separately, let me know if you need more info. I think they are called EZC readers.

9. alschoolteacher

Sep 5, 2010

Thanks for all the replies! I know that some of the pages will have to be completely reworked for him. He can not do crosswords at all and there is one in our workbook every 2-3 weeks. I like the idea of having the word bank on a separate page. I could even print one and tape it to his desk at the beginning of the week.
    I am definitely going to have to work with him on being more open to help. The other kids have never commented within my hearing on any accommodations that are made for any child. He is always very mild mannered at school, but apparently is prone to tantrums at home. When I mentioned my surprise to the mom, she said that he would never let one of his teachers or classmates see him get upset at school. He apparently holds it all in until he gets home. It makes it difficult to know when he is struggling with a page, because he refuses to tell me!

10. alschoolteacher

Sep 5, 2010

Those look awesome! His mom mentioned the EZC readers, but I understood that it only covered a few lines of text with an opening in the middle. With the severity of his issues, he needs the one that blocks the whole page! I have a few others with reversal issues that would probably benefit from using one, too.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, I am the same. I hold in all of my emotions until I get home.

There is a home me and an outside me.

He might not want to tell you he is struggling because then he will think that you will think he is stupid or unable to do the work.

You might want to talk to the student and see what kind of system you can work out. Maybe he works for 10 minutes, then gets a break for his eyes.

Perhaps come up with a way for him to signal you when the work is too hard, and tell him that it is okay to ask for help.

12. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Sep 6, 2010

One thing for getting kids more comfortable with visible accommodations: have extras in the classroom, explain what it can be used for ("Sometimes people have a hard time keeping their place while they are reading. I know I do sometimes, and I don't want to miss anything while I am reading. So I use this sometimes to help me keep my place......"), and offer it to all students. Use one yourself. It doesn't always work, but it has worked often, especially with primary kids.