Accidentally said 'crap' to a student - how much trouble am I in?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by applesnap, Dec 14, 2015.

1. applesnap

applesnap Rookie

Dec 14, 2015

I'm a second year teacher and my students are in grade 11. I do not have a permanent contract yet.

On Friday, I gave a quiz. One student had an appointment and missed the quiz.

Some of the students who wrote the original quiz didn't do very well on it, so I am offering all students a chance to re-write a similar quiz tomorrow. I don't normally offer re-writes.

I told the student who missed the original quiz to show up for the re-write so that I could assign her a grade. She gave me a hard time over it, saying that it wasn't far that everyone else had the opportunity to re-write except her.

I told her that's what happens when you miss class. She continued to press me on it and I got a little irritated and said "this makes me not want to offer a re-write at all, if I am going to get crap about it".

I did sort of apologize to her at the end of class and offered to look over one of her homework problems so that she could see if she is doing the problems correctly before the quiz. But now I am worried I am going to get in trouble for being unprofessional and using the word 'crap'. Am I overworrying?

3. msleep

msleep Rookie

Dec 14, 2015

Obviously not the best word to use but definitely not anything to worry about.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Dec 14, 2015

Yes ^
    And given the context, I don't think it was that bad. I was expecting worse when I read your title, plus, they're older students. It would've been different with elementary kids :)

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Dec 14, 2015

Exactly...not proud of it, but I have said that word once or twice myself in my teaching career. Apologize and move on..

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 14, 2015

Heck, I've said it out loud to my third graders when I forgot to leave a sticky reminder in my read-aloud book about it. Crap happens.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2015

I really think that this is a non-issue. Unless your school is very, very strict, I can't imagine that this would even register on anyone's radar.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 15, 2015

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2015

Actually its not one of the 7 words. George Carlin had a lot of crap. Two different comedic bits. Love Carlin.

jojo808 likes this.
  10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2015

I say it at least 5 times a day: "crappy work = crappy grade." I also tell them that if they do a half ass job on a project, I'll do a half ass job grading it. The kids get this much better than 2 minutes of my saying I expect quality work.

I also teach older kids. They see it as me telling it like it is. I'm in a smaller, less formal educational setting.

The principal at my first school would consider it a fireable offense. He once wrote somebody up for saying "freaking," as in "that meteor shower last night was freaking amazing!" He considered it "inappropriate sexual slang."

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 16, 2015

I've said "Oh shit" in front of 5th graders (I had accidentally dropped a giant goldfish onto a keyboard *sigh*) and the kids just laughed it off. You should be fine, but definitely try to keep your anger from letting words slip out. (I have to try very very hard with my little ones)

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 16, 2015

You have nothing to worry about with grade 11 students. They for sure have said much much worse. Of course, you're held to a higher standard, but I've said some pretty off the wall things, and if you laugh it off, no one thinks twice about it. I actually find, you're more likely to get in trouble when you freak out and start apologizing for saying something.

In fact I said something pretty off the wall today. I won't repeat it because I know some on here will doom and gloom me, about inappropriateness, but the kids just thought it was hilarious. It helps that we have a teacher that says and does things ten times worse than anything I ever would say.

13. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Dec 16, 2015

At my previous school, there were some teachers who would say inappropriate things and even cuss in the classroom when students were present. I heard these adults use this language when I was present in their classrooms. Those teachers would also use foul words in personal conversations at staff developments. The P and APs didn't bat an eye because these teachers were their buddies.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 16, 2015

I don't believe cussing is appropriate, but everyone has different ideas about what is appropriate, so something which I might think is at least borderline appropriate might be considered very inappropriate to someone else. Of course it's always best to err on the 'completely appropriate' side. I've heard my P say way more inappropriate things to students than I ever would.

15. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Dec 16, 2015

Agreed! I believe that all school personnel should never use foul language on school grounds under any circumstances. For one thing, it sends students the message that foul language is acceptable.

16. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Dec 16, 2015

Although I wouldn't direct I at students, I do use the word 'crap' in the classroom - mostly when I do something that is unintended! I don't agree with swearing in front of students, but we have one teacher who has been know to do so. He teaches welding, and when I hear some of the things my students attempt, I can understand why. They welded coins together when they had a sub one day, and they have been disciplined for their behavior with hot welding rods.