Accidental Cussing (students)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by soleil00, Sep 8, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 8, 2011

How do you handle this in elementary?

I have some kids that legitimately don't know what they are saying so I don't want to be hard on them and basically tell them it's a cuss word. I mean, I had one little girl today go "if you spell sip backwards it's pis". I just quietly told her not to say that, but I also have some kids that say words and know what they are. They don't know what they mean but they heard their parents saying them and think it's okay to say.

I just don't want to be all "rawr" about them saying things when they have no clue what they are doing/saying...

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2011

Tell them it isn't school appropriate and not to say it again. Email or send a note home to mom or dad and explain what happened, and that you simply can't have that language in the classroom and that in the future more serious measures will be taken to protect the classroom environment. This way, you are giving the child the benefit of the doubt that she did not know what she was saying, but now that you have spoken with her (and her parents), there are no more excuses.

4. ally06

ally06 Companion

Sep 8, 2011

Yep, explain to them that it is not appropriate and give them the benefit of the doubt the first time. If it happens again you can give the appropriate consequence then.

5. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 8, 2011

The little girl today was legitimately just sounding out a word backwards and I know she had no clue what she had said until I told her that it wasn't a good word to say.

The others..... I think it is a good thing to send home notes. At least make the parents aware that they need to watch what they say at home since the kids are obviously listening and repeating!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 8, 2011

If it's truly accidental, I would probably let it go. With my 6th graders, they would catch themselves and probably be very embarrassed.

But if it's "accidental" wink wink, they're gonna get it. This is one reason I absolutely do not allow anyone to say "what the...". Who knows what word might be next.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2011

When its an accident you can just talk to the students and explain that to them. If it is a slip and they know what they are saying, it depends on the student and the situation.

8. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 8, 2011

The biggest problem I have seen is that they never do it when I am around. They say stuff on the playground and then tattle on each other when we get back to the room or they do it at lunch, just whenever I am not there.

I don't like to reinforce tattling, we have kind of a.... school rule against it unless someone is getting hurt or whatever. So I don't really know how to deal with stuff like this when I don't see it first hand without someone tattling.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2011

If they don't know it's a cuss word and they say it, then you tell them it's a bad word and not to say it, then you just taught them a new cuss word.

I learned that the hard way.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2011

So one time, this girl was attempting to read the word "bike."

She had the d-b switch problem, and she also didn't know the silent e rule either.

So her attempt to read the word came out as "dick."

A few days later, she was trying to read the word "price." She still didn't know the silent e, and she also didn't know the soft c rule. So her reading of the word was "prick."

When I told the story to my wife, her response was "Gee, what a foul mouthed little girl!!"

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 8, 2011

:lol::lol: I still don't feel comfortable saying the word beach for fear of misspronouncing it. When I was first learning English there were a lot of accidents. :D

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2011

lol! That's so funny. I know quite a few Spanish-speaking persons who don't like to say "beach" either because they think it sounds like the other word.

13. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 9, 2011

Going in the other direction, I don't like saying the word for "comb" in Spanish, because it's very close to the word for "penis"...

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 9, 2011

I don't want to use the word brother in Japanese Sign Language because it is the middle finger.

I would just inform them the first time. I would take further action after the first time.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 9, 2011

I believe the only time I ever cursed in school was in HS after I had a seizure.

Coming back to consciousness after an unexpected seizure can be a bit shocking and I said some odd things while my brain was getting its bearings

16. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 9, 2011

This is exactly why I came here for advice, I want to avoid this as much as I can.

Today, I had a little boy tattle on another one saying he said a bad word. I didn't hear him say anything, but I pulled him aside and told him that even words he doesn't think are bad words may be a bad word to someone else so he needed to be careful in what he said.

I doubt he understood, but it's not like I knew what (if any) bad word he said!

It's so hard to enforce anything because I don't want to acknowledge that it's a cuss word because of what sarge said! I don't want anyone running home going "I learned _____ word was a bad word today!"

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2011

An American teacher here went to the store and asked for a comb, but said the other word! Poor thing! She had no idea what she said... :blush:

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2011

My problem isn't accidental cussing- last year I had quite a few who did it on purpose all the time. Hopefully this year will be different!