Accessing special education information on discussions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BB0211, Aug 4, 2014.

1. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Aug 4, 2014

Hello All!

I am curious to hear from the general educators on here who also read (or have read) postings on the special education board. If so, what kind of information do you look for? What draws you there? What other new information would you like to see on there that could benefit you, your included special education students and your general education students?

*I'm certified and teach in both gen. Ed. And special ed. and am interested in gaining and providing support for general ed. teachers on issues that regard anything special ed. That's why I ask! :)

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

I check the board from time to time. I'll visit because I'm curious about new approaches that I can use in my own room. And sometimes because I'm bored and have read the other posts that directly pertain to me ;)

I would love to see ideas that I can use with my special ed students that will not slow down or otherwise detract from my general ed students. I'm in high school and seldom see students that have moderate to severe disabilities.

I would also like to see ways to wean students away from their accommodations. That should be the goal at the high school level, whenever possible. How can I help those kids help themselves so they will be able to fully function in a workplace that doesn't give "extended time" and "separate setting."

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 4, 2014

I tend to read all the new posts by clicking on the top right corner of the page, so it isn't a matter of delving specifically into a certain topic. That being said, I would love to hear more about different strategies for collaboration between Gen Ed and Special Ed teachers.

5. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 4, 2014

I'm also dual certified so I check out the special ed board, but it doesn't seem very active. I look for anything that is relevant to me, my experiences, or things that I could benefit from.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

Most of us hit 'view new posts' and respond to what inspires us

7. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Aug 4, 2014

Hi Cat...

Thanks for your response! Anything you are specifically interested in, regarding collaboration? Have you had any particular successes collaborating with special ed? What works? What doesn't?

I'm sure we could all benefit from each other's experiences! Thanks for sharing anything that you can. :)

8. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Aug 4, 2014

Thanks for your response, Chitown! I'm also a teacher in Chicago. You are right, the special ed board does not seem very active. I am wondering if that is because it is only listed as a sub-category, as opposed to gen ed., el. ed and secondary having a full category. You almost miss it, if you don't dig! I emailed the site admin. to inquire about adding a full category/heading for special ed. As we know, special ed. is no longer just a special ed. issue, all teachers need to be informed and can benefit from that info. Right?

9. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Aug 4, 2014

Hey 2nd time! Thanks for your response! Let me think this over and I'll get some information posted, if it may interest/support you. In the meantime, what subject do you teach? My husband is a high school science teacher, so we collaborate quite a bit on accommodating higher level reading/science material. I may have some stuff to share!

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

I teach science as well. Thanks!

11. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Aug 4, 2014

Thanks Czacza! You're probably right. Was just curious to see if anyone had a particular interest in special ed. as a gen. ed teacher and if they actively pursued it on this site.

Thanks!

12. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 5, 2014

I think the special ed subcategory is kind of hidden, but it doesn't seem to have that much activity even from us sped teachers. I'd like to think that everyone reads the information in new threads even if they don't comment there. It would be nice to not be so "hidden" for those who may search for posts by category.

13. GTcub

GTcub Rookie

Aug 6, 2014

I try to answer whatever I can, I like to answer questions on forums.