Access to classroom/materials for new teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by vivalavida, Jul 3, 2014.

1. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jul 3, 2014

When do new teachers (at your school?) typically gain access to their classroom and teaching materials? I have yet to hear what I'll be teaching next year and I realize this can be determined last minute in some districts. However, I am very anxious to begin planning both my lessons and my classroom. Without either of these, I don't really know how to get started and use my summer productively! I'm trying to prevent myself from becoming completely swamped at the start of the year as much as possible. :p

3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2014

Our school is open now for teachers and we don't actually report back until Aug 5. The custodial staff in on campus almost all summer and the admin staff is all back already. I'd contact your principal when it is open.

If you don't ask they'll likely just expect to see you on the first report date.

4. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jul 3, 2014

I emailed my P a couple weeks ago to ask about the classes I would be teaching and letting him know when I would be available to pick up materials, etc. Haven't received a response... :-/

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 3, 2014

Our principals and custodians are typically at work most every day. I'm at school right now having my lunch before I start getting my room finished. I've been working here and there for about a week.

Try calling, too. My P is awful at answering email, but I can get him to answer the phone and texts.

6. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Jul 3, 2014

Good question. I was also curious if each school provides new/vet teachers with a budget or do most teachers have to shell out hundreds) in the beginning to get their classrooms decorated?

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2014

Well, I found out my teaching assignment pretty much right away both times. As for getting in the room, that varies GREATLY by school. My former school is not open much during the summer until the end of July. I can access my new school whenever I get a key, but I don't live in the area yet, so I'm waiting until I move.

This varies an unbelievable amount depending on school/district/area. I got $0 at my former school (although basic supplies were all provided), but I get $500 at my new school (it's extra because I'm new - returning teachers get $350. Still a lot!)

8. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

The school I've worked at for the past 3 years is very late for giving teaching assignments. Students return on August 25th. I suspect that I won't know what I'm teaching until August 18th after much begging. I won't hold my breathe though. Last year I was told what I was teaching 2 weeks early and I was ready to start planning. It was changed 3 days before the students returned.

I work at an inner city school. We are not given any money for supplies. We get 1 box of copy paper per semester. We can get basic supplies from the front office (stapler, pencil sharpener, dry erase board markers...). This are limited.

The school takes our classroom keys at the end of the school year. If we want to get into our classroom during the summer, we just have to sign them out from the front office and return them at the end of the day.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2014

Depends on your school. At my school, there's no access to rooms over the summer (sometimes we can get in a week early, but it doesn't look like that will happen this year). Sometimes the schedule is ready to look at; sometimes it's not finalized until right before Open House (which is during preschool week).

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2014

We also have very limited access to the school over the summer--it all depends on the cleaning/waxing schedule, which is dependent on the weather. It's generally understood that we "stay away" until the last week and a half before school starts.

We got tentative schedules and class lists our last day, but were also warned that they likely will change, if not before school starts, within the first couple of weeks.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

Our school is open now, and we're not officially supposed to report back until August 18th! I've been administering the retests of the state assessment for the kids who didn't pass, so I've been able to work in my room a little bit after they have finished.