Accepting new postions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by msBT, Jul 16, 2012.

1. msBT

msBT New Member

Jul 16, 2012

I was offered a position in a school very close to my family. My husband has been searching for a job in the area, but has only been given interviews an hour away. They offered me this job in early June. Because I was uncertain about my husband's career, I told this job I would give them an answer by July 1st, and when the time came, told them I would accept the position.

Today, a job that I had applied for a before accepting called to schedule an interview. I am a music teacher, with a passion for instrumental music. As a former middle school teacher, this is the job I really want as it is a middle school band position. The position I accepted (but have yet to sign the contract for) is an elementary position, no band. Also, this new position is 20 minutes closer to where my husband is interviewing.

Considering I have not actually signed a contract, is it wrong to interview for the position I really want? I feel guilty because I spoke with the P of the elementary school this morning and said I was on board. I got the call for the interview this afternoon. I cannot see myself making a career at the elementary school, where at the other job I can. Help! Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

3. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

Unless you've signed a contract, I don't think you should feel bad interviewing. You don't want to pass up the opportunity to get a more ideal position.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

A few years ago I would have said you should take job you promised to. You should honor your word, and try to get into the job you want later.

With the economy and how stagnant the market is, though, I might give you different advice now. Go for the job you want.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

I highly agree with silverspoon65 and stampin'teacher!!!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

Go for the job you want.

7. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jul 16, 2012

I also think that you should go on the interview. I don't want to have regrets for not persuing you ideal position.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 17, 2012

There is no harm interviewing. No need to stress about it either way. Who knows, during the interview you may find that it isn't a good fit for you and you might be happier with the first position. You'll never know if you don't at least look.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

I would go on the interview. You don't want to be kicking yourself later regretting not taking every opportunity you have.

If you get the middle school job, this might be your forever job. The job that you teach at for many many years. The elementary job might be only a year or two, leaving the P to try to find the perfect candidate again next year.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

If you haven't signed a contract, I think it's acceptable to go on that other interview. Let them know you're under a bit of a deadline, though, because another school has made an offer. :)

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

This.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

You have not signed a contract, so go for the interview. You don't want any "what-ifs" going through your mind.