Accepting LTS position then declining for Full Time offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by johnab, Jul 24, 2017.

1. johnab

johnab Rookie

Jul 24, 2017

So I verbally accepted an LTS offer that actually is to run about 3/4 of the upcoming school year. But I'm still going on other interviews for full-time positions.

My question is what do I do if I get offered a Full-Time position? Or even another LTS position that would run the full year? I gather that I have to do what is best for me, but I also get queasy thinking about burning bridges.

This is PA by the way.

3. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jul 24, 2017

The school would (should) understand if you took another job, especially if it was one to become the teacher of record. That's a huge pay increase + benefits.

As a LTS, you are just that - a sub. You aren't a full-time worker or on contact so it's much easier for you to leave. I'd definitely leave for those circumstances!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2017

Any administrator should understand if you take a full-time, permanent job instead of a LTS.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 24, 2017

It will depend on the administrator. We have a LTS that was not allowed to break her verbal contract to accept a job much closer to home. Here, a verbal contract is binding, and breaking it could burn bridges.

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 24, 2017

If my division doesn't release me from my contract, I cannot be offered another position. So if the superintendent decides not to release a LTS from a verbal contract, another principal cannot make a job offer. It sounds like other divisions/districts have more flexibility.

8. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

Jul 25, 2017

I interviewed for a LTS earlier this summer and the principal straight up said he was interviewing a lot of people because he knew whoever they hire could leave for a full time position later in the summer. So people who didn't get it could be contacted later on if it opens up again.

And last year when I worked a long term sub for most of the year my principal told me at the start that my first priority is to find a job so he'll be supportive if I find a full time position during the year.

So usually they should understand

9. johnab

johnab Rookie

Jul 25, 2017

Thanks folks. I talked to the principal and explained that I was waiting to hear back from some full time job offers, so I accepted the LTS offer, but was honest about possibly leaving for a full time position or an LTS position that was a full year (not the very awkward broken up piece meal that was offered to me). She didn't seem upset.

I actually am expecting to hear about an offer by Thursday as I have a final interview for a full year LTS job tomorrow.

I think in the end I have to do what is best for me. As one of my best friends said, this is the one of the only jobs where you can go into an interview and it can be the last one you ever go on.

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 28, 2017

Absolutely any decent person would understand, and too bad if they don't. You cannot stay for a temp job if offered a contract. That is just ridiculous! I have never heard of anyone having to do this. I was once offered a LTS job and I told the p I couldn't take it because I was pretty sure I was about to be offered a contract somewhere else. She said oh just say yes and I'll understand if you can't do it! I did get the other job and she was true to her word.

11. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 28, 2017

What state is this?

The reason I ask is that a verbal employment contract would almost certainly violate the Statute of Frauds.

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 28, 2017

I agree. No contract, no hold.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 28, 2017

I'm not in the US.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2017

You could face repercussions with your cert in some places. If you sign a contract that is. If you're outside of the US, I have no idea.