Accepting Late Work

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Googs, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Googs

Googs Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I know that teachers and schools have different policies regarding accepting work turned in late so I just wanted to throw some thoughts out there to give all of you "bored, summer-off having" teachers something to do. Besides, the topic of late work popped up in my extra credit discussion.

So...I don't accept notes that students take from the book late because they need the material at the time that it is covered, not a month, week, or even a day later. Projects can be turned in one-day late for half-credit max. My students have TONS of time for either notes or projects.

What I don't get is that if you allow a student to make up their missed assignments at the end of the term, what's preventing them from copying or just switching around someone else's assignment that you graded weeks ago? Next, don't they have the advantage of seeing how other student's work was graded and the chance to use the comments that I make to the class (once everything is collected) in their project? Also, isn't school about learning and isn't part of learning how to meet deadlines?

Just trying to see if my sometimes stubborn way of thinking makes sense...

3. mrs.sparker

mrs.sparker Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

when I was doing my student teaching, my teacher had trained the class to turn in late work at the end of the six weeks so they could pass. There wasn't much I could do about that. I did on the other hand, not let them make any higher than a 70 on it, for the reasons you listed.

4. daisy8869

daisy8869 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Googs,

I agree with your arguments, unfortunately late work is out of my hands. My district requires us to accept late work until the last day for the grading period. Students are supposed to make up work within twice the amount of days they were absent (if its excused). Thank goodness these rules do not include tests/quizzes, students have a week to make those up.

I usually try and print off a list of missing assignments for my students every two weeks so they know what they are missing. It still causes me a major headache the last week of the grading period with students trying to make up work that should have been done four weeks ago!

5. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I accept late homework for half credit until the end of the quarter. Papers and projects lose one letter grade everyday that they are late.

I choose to give half credit until the end of the quarter because I have some 7th graders that have major organizational problems (among others) and having grades for every assignment is a major accomplishment. Depending on how late it is, I just look at it and give them half credit. If they still need to use the assignment for a test or something then I correct the hw and give them half credit.

6. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 24, 2007

We have to accept late work until the day of the assessment. Penalties are up to the teacher. I take 10% off the first day and 5% off every day after that.

7. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

I'll generally accept late work, with marks off, though I agree that it gives me a huge headache at the end of term. Why should I be responsible for telling kids what assignments they missed?? I do this, but half the time they don't care or lose the piece of paper I wrote it on. Even though it is more work for me, it is often the difference of a passing grade for the student . . . an assignment, even passed in super late and worth only a pass - is still many more points then a 0!!

One of my problems are students that are convinced that they passed in the assignment and that I lost it!! One of the posters here suggested a "Failure to Pass in Work" sheet that students fill out if they don't have the assignment. I started it at the end of last year, and it works like a charm!!!

As with everything in school, the good students will get high marks and pass in everything on time - the rest struggle, and will often loss even more points for being late and disorganized. I think this year I'll try helping them organize their agendas and manage their time - a lot are just starting to learn that skill even though they've been a in school for 7 or 8 years!!!

8. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 24, 2007

Could you please explain your "failure to pass in work" sheet you have students fill out? Is this just having them fill out a piece of paper so they're turning something in with the rest of the class taking the responsibility of "lost" homework off the teacher? I'll be a first year 6th grade math teacher this year and no all to well the homework demands and potential for problems if I don't manage this from the get go!

Thanks - and thanks to all for all the other great insight!

9. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 24, 2007

My schools requires that we accept late work (by obviously for less credit). We operate on the philosophy that even in the "real world" people accept "late work" all the time. If you as a teacher forget to turn in you lesson plans for the week, is you principal going to say the next day, "Forget about it, I don't want it anymore, since you couldn't turn it in on time." No, she's going to accept it, but there's going to be a consequence, whether it be a lower evaluation, not asked back next year, etc. We teach the kids that, hey even adults forget things once in a while, we still have to do the work, and we take the consequence. Not allowing students to turn in work after the deadline shows them that the work wasn't really important in the first place.

10. CoachRyan

CoachRyan Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I accept late work whenever, but for half credit. Whether it's 2 minutes late, or 9 weeks late makes no difference. I don't worry about copying because I don't return dailywork or homework. Not enough time in the day. I don't grade any daily work and merely spot check homework. They don't know this, but by the time they figure it out, it's too late. Many don't figure it out until I tell them years later. The looks on their faces then is priceless. :lol:

Since they have studyguides for the tests, there is no need to hand back homework as my subject deals a lot in memorization and repitition in doing the questions is what drills that.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

Last year I did do "make-up days" at the end of the term where students could work on any missing assignments they had. I hated doing it because I felt that they should have done the work on time and that I was just rewarding their bad habits. The problem for me, however, was that there is a pervasive attitude of apathy regarding homework in my school. I'd assign a project (like a big, important project), and out of 100 kids, like 4 would do it. FOUR! If I didn't accept late work last year, 90% of my students would have failed. That wasn't just a problem in my class or my department.. it happened throughout the entire school, from remedial reading classes to AP government.

Next year, however, things are changing. I've decided that my students aren't going to rise up to meet low expectations. I'm going to make due dates stick, and I'm not going to accept late work for credit (although I'll happily accept it to check it over). Unlike the previous poster, I think that enforcing a due date shows that the work is extremely important. I mean, you know your taxes are due on April 15 and so you don't file them late. Your cable bill is due on the 3rd and so you pay it by the 3rd. This is a concept which kids need to learn in order to get by in the real world.

I think after the first quarter grades come out (grades which include all the zeros for missing assignments), kids will start to get it and kick it into gear. One of my worries is that if they don't start to get it after seeing their first quarter grades, they will become disenfranchised and check out. I guess we'll have to see.

I'd also like to see a sample of the failure to turn it work form.

12. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I guess I forgot to mention that in addition to accepting late work (for a penalty on their grade) I also accept no 0's. My students know they have to do their work eventually and if they don't do it when they are supposed to during class time, them they get to come in before school, afterschool, lunch, or miss their favorite elective class to do it.

For the students who forget to turn in an assignment on time very rarely, the penalty will not effect their grade very much. Its like paying a credit card late once, you have to pay a penalty, but its not like the credit card company will say if you can't pay on time, don't bother paying at all.

For the students who never want to do work and will glady "take the 0", they don't get to. They know I WILL make them do the work eventually, so most of them do the work the first time.

For them most part, if the student is in class, they do the work. My problem really comes into play when the students who were absent forget to do the work. This year, I'm trying to get as many parent email addresses as possible, so I am hoping that a quick email to the parent about absent work will help out with that.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

How do you make them turn in missing work?

14. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 24, 2007

Make them stay afterschool, call parents, take them out of electives, keep them back from lunch (the school will provide a bag lunch if we want to keep them in out classroom). We also have team reward days for students who have no 0's. The other students have to stay back and catch up with work.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

I think it sounds like a great policy, but I have no way to enforce it. Aside from calling parents, I am not allowed to do any of those things. Technically I could make them stay after school, but then a) I would have to stay after school, and b) almost all our kids ride the bus home, and the late one drops them off after dark...I wouldn't ever be the one to make a kid walk home from the bus stop at night here in Las Vegas.

16. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 24, 2007

It is policy at our school not to take late work for daily work, but what constitutes daily work is left up to the teacher. Since I have at least one grade per day, I drop five grades per 9 weeks and don't take any late assignments.

17. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

I am going to a new school, but I generally give no credit for late homework, as I go over any difficult parts and student questions in class and it gets a participation grade. After it is collected I put it in abc order and staple it all together, so a kid can't say I lost it because they would all be lost. Kid's also hve to fill out a no homework slip, which basically has their name, the date, the assignment, and their reason for not turning it in. I have a paper trail in their own handwriting!

18. CoachRyan

CoachRyan Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

since I'm the 'previous responder' I'll reply...

so what happens if you don't pay taxes on the 15th? Do you just, not have to pay them then? Nope, you still have to pay them, but there is a penalty. If you don't pay your cable bill, it gets turned off. But you have to pay it eventually.

If they want bonus because they didn't do their work on time, they simply do the work they didn't do in the first place. The due date sticks. If I were to give them full credit for late work your argument wouldn't be so full of holes.

Do you really think, if students aren't going to get credit for late homework, that they will just do it for you to check over? :lol: :lol: :woot: :lol: Wow, I needed that, thanks.

meanwhile, you take 1 day out of each 9 weeks to let them do stuff they should have done... 4 per year. Heck, I wouldn't do homework until that day.

WHatever work mine are missing, is given to them in a list (while they are doing that particular day's work) and they do it on their time, or they don't... Personally, I don't have enough time to sit and waste time like that, but I suppose, you just must be that much better than me. :confused:

19. CoachRyan

CoachRyan Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

sounds great in theory, but some teachers can't stay after school, we can't take them out of electives (especially if their elective doesn't coincide with planning), I'm hungry and want my lunch.

20. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

It sounds like my "failure to pass in work" is very similar to the above poster . . .maybe I stole the idea from you?? :angel: Whoever it is, thank you . . . the kids hate filling them out, so you know it works!

Basically, I have a form that the student fills out when they don't have the work . . . name, assignment, date and reason. I can then clip the papers together by class, and when I'm marking them (and handing them back), I know who hasn't passed it in. I also started date stamping them as kids passed them in - that way I could keep track of how late some assignments are too! At first I thought I could just remember in my head when everything was passed in, but there are way too many others things in the run of a day to remember!!!

Paper trails are great!!!

21. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Apple,

so once they started filling out those forms, they got self-conscious and were like "crap I have too many of those forms I better do my work?" I've seen modifications of the idea and it really comes into play when you can show it to the parents during conferences. Haha!

22. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Yep - especially after they've collected a few and you send them home to get signed by mom or dad!!

The only downfall is that filling them out takes away classtime, and usually they try to hide the fact that they aren't passing it in . . . I think I may start using some recess time from them to help with that . . .

23. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

how would they hide the fact that they're not passing it in?

And you always send them home to be signed? What response do you get from the parents? And what if they don't get returned the next day?

24. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

We (the school disctrict) grade the work seperate from the work habits. The students' get a grade stating how they are meeting the standards, and another grade for how they are meeting the General Learner Outcomes, (character type stuff). The discussion on this was quite lively! So, if a child turns in work late, his "self-directed learner" grade is lowered. His actual work is assessed as is, late or not, did he meet the benchmark?

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

All assignments have a one week turn in life
    I accept late work after a conference with the student
    I look at it this way if turning it in is in the objective then turning it in on time counts
    if not I do not take off any points if it is late.
    Is it more important to learn the information or turning it in on time?
    Some students may need more time.
    Should I penalize a student for being slow but now understands the objective?

Since this is not the real world and we are trying to have students learn I feel getting it in is more important then when it is turned in.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

In theory, I agree with the sentiment that we should accept late work if it means that the student is demonstrating that they understand the objective.

In practicality, however, the fact of the matter is that many students cheat and plagiarize on work which they then turn in late for credit. At least this has been my experience. Last year I literally watched student A copy student B's work, which had been corrected and returned to student B, and then turn it in as student A's original work.

Since I can't control what they do outside of my classroom, I have to anticipate that at least some students will be dishonest, however unfortunate that is. I found last year that students who had turned in late work for credit often had no idea what they were doing--and to me that is evidence that they didn't do the work on their own.

To me, it's much better in the long run to hold students accountable for respecting due dates because it means that, at the very least, students will not have the opportunity to copy a corrected assignment for credit, thus giving the impression to me that they truly understand the objectives.

27. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

In the rush to pass things in, they pretend to be looking, etc. Sometimes I have them all stand up and sit down when I call out names - whoever's left standing hasn't passed it in yet. I think maybe the hope that it will magically appear?? Sometimes I have no idea what is going on in their heads!

I don't always send them home to be signed - usually when they are turning to be a repeat offender, or show no signs of wanting to get the work done. A phone call home works jst as well in many cases too!! Parents are generally disappointed that their child is failing behind, though a few find excuses. For the most part, though, the families are quite supportive.

And yes, sometimes the student is very disorganized - and lose that sheet too . . .that's when they have to stay in during recess to start cleaning !!!!

28. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 26, 2007

It's not that I don't want to accept late work -- it's just that over the years I've found that kids just can't do it in math. We are doing daily assignments. Each assignment has review on it. That's why I decided to drop the five grades AND I went with a 50%/50% grading system. Major Assessments go in one 50% and there are opportunities for retests in there. Everything else goes in the other. a kid has to quit working for the Everything else category to really suffer.

29. sciencewriter

sciencewriter New Member

Aug 7, 2007

I co-taught in collaborative science (inclusion) classes last year, and the 6th grade teacher I taught with had a similar form--a /"Dog Ate My Homework" form that students had to fill out if they didn't have an assignment--if they filled that out, they were expected to turn in the assignment the next day for a 70 (at most). Once they filled out 2 of those "Dog Ate My Homework" sheets, we mailed them home. For those that began to habitually neglect to bring HW back, we started making them call their parent right then--that helped for many, as the parents didn't like being interrupted at work or wherever to find this out, and the students didn't like calling their parents in front of everyone...

30. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 7, 2007

I have done many things over the years, currently I accept late work with a 10% reduction of grade per day late. Which means 1 point off for daily homework which is worth 10 points. That is on my syllabus, but I am thinking about allowing thee late assignments per term for full credit.