Accepting job offers - Need help, really nervous!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by christine89, Jun 3, 2011.

1. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jun 3, 2011

Hi
    I have interviewed for 3 teaching positions and have yet to hear from any of them about their decision. However, I expect that I will be hearing from at least 2 of them within the next week. The one that I most recently interviewed for is the one that I want the most.
    What I'm wondering is if I hear from one school and get an offer, is it okay to say that I've interviewed with 2 other schools and I'm still waiting to hear from them? I'm just nervous that I'd be sending the wrong impression by saying this. I definitely wouldn't go on any more interviews after I've verbally accepted a job, but I'm just wondering whether or not I should wait to hear the decisions from all 3 places before accepting something. I would feel bad asking someone to wait, but I would also feel bad accepting a job somewhere and then getting an offer from the school I really like.
    What do I do? How do I go about this without giving the wrong impression?

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 4, 2011

If the first offer you get is not your top choice you can ask when they need an answer by. Just let them know you need some time to think it over, to discuss it with your family, and could you have a few days to do this. Then call your top choice and let them know you have another offer, and are wondering when they will make a decision.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2011

I agree with MsM. This is what I have done in a similar situation.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 4, 2011

I think it's acceptable to ask them when they need your decision. That's what I did with my last offer, and I had 4 days to decide.

6. SwimPenumbra

SwimPenumbra Rookie

Jun 5, 2011

what a blessing!

It is so lovely that we have so many experienced people helping rookies here, what a wonderful website and how lovely these people are.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 5, 2011

Yes--you can always ask for a little time to talk it over with your family etc. and ask when they need to know--I think this happens a lot. You don't have to say you have another offer.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2011

You can definitely ask- but know that you may not get the answer you want. They may be anxious to call other candidates if you don't accept your offer. If they have a close second choice, they don't want that person to become unavailable while you take a week to decide. Like other said, I would just say you need to think about it or discuss with your family. My boss seemed pretty taken aback when I asked her if I could have some time to think about it (she called me to offer me the job 40 minutes after my interview- so I was totally caught off guard). She told me that I could have until 5 pm the next day to decide because that's when she had promised the other candidates that they would hear something.

9. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jun 5, 2011

Ask them for a little time. However, do not take too long. In this economy, job offers will be scarcer then usual.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2011

I agree.

I would ask for a little time. Then, as soon as they gave it, I would call the other jobs, and let them know I had an offer. Ask your first choice school when you can expect a decision.

In this economy, a bird in the hand is worth a whole flock in the bush.