Accepting differences

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by myKroom, Feb 21, 2008.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Feb 21, 2008

I have a special needs student in my classroom who is developmentally about 3-4 years old. I talked with my kids at the beginning of the year about how he may act different (like a younger brother/sister) and about ways we can help him. We talked about how he may be very impulsive and how he may copy what others do. We had a really great discussion on how to be good role models for him (especially since he mimics behavior) and how to play with him etc. They were very tolerant and accepting of his differences. My kids did so well with him up to Christmas break!!

Now my kids are just mean and rude to him. I had a little regrouping session with them where we discussed things again...but that did nothing. I think part of it is that they are obviously maturing much faster than he is. I feel really bad for him because he really likes his classmates and he LOVES to play with them...but they don't want anything to do with him.

How can I change this?? Are there any good books or activities I could do with them to help them be more accepting?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

3. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Feb 21, 2008

This sounds like my son. When things in his class got bad his teacher did a lesson involving a paper heart. She had the class sit in a circle and cut out a brand new heart out of a good quality wrapping paper(any paper will do). Then she said that this is anyone's heart when they feel good and hear kind words. Then she crumpled a piece of the heart. She said this was when someone made her feel bad and called her names. She proceeded to give examples that would crumple a heart. Then she asked for examples that would make someone feel good. With each good example she was unable to open the heart a bit but the crinkle was still there. The basic lesson is that when we say something mean is never leaves the heart of the person we were mean too.

You can also read this book, http://steveandcat.net/mrswalker/bucket_fillers.htm
    I have read that book to my class and have seen a remarkable change in behaviors.

Good Luck!

4. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Feb 21, 2008

That is an adorable idea, Sheila! Especially for those younger kiddos.

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Feb 21, 2008

That is a very cool idea Sheila...Thank you!! :) I think I could get most of my kids to understand that!

6. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Feb 22, 2008

You are quite welcome.:)