accepting but continuing looking?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wannateachintx, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. wannateachintx

    wannateachintx Rookie

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Messages:
    82
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 10, 2007

    Ok, I have read several posts about accepting a position and then going to more interviews and accepting a different position thereafter. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers but I don't understand this. When I was called and offered the kinder job, I did accept it and then called and canceled the two interviews that I had scheduled later that month. I just believe that if you accept a position, that's what you should do. If you believe there is something better out there, then ask for more time (if possible) or decline. School districts are trying to fill positions as they come open and when they offer (and someone accepts), it puts even more work on them when someone calls later and changes their mind. I really wanted this kinder job and glad it was offered. If I had conflicting thoughts over this, I absolutely would not accept it, regardless of what was in the future or not. That's just how I was raised. Just wondering what some of you think.
     
  2.  
  3. Caesar753

    Caesar753 Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Messages:
    14,606
    Likes Received:
    2,713

    Aug 10, 2007

    Ideally, I think that most people share your opinions. In all practicality, though, sometimes we have to make tough decisions.

    If I had been applying and interviewing for months (as many here have), I would probably jump at an offer, even if it wasn't ideal. While I would be grateful to have a job, I would definitely continue to apply elsewhere (as long as I hadn't yet signed a contract), because ultimately I need to do what's best for me and my family. I don't think there's any shame in that.
     
  4. Beth2004

    Beth2004 Maven

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2004
    Messages:
    5,168
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 10, 2007

    I agree 100%.
     
  5. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Aug 10, 2007

    I agree with wannateachtx. I have this whole personal integrity thing which probably won't be real popular.

    But if I give my word, I do my best to keep it. Spousal transfer or sickness are one thing; a "better offer" is something else.

    I've been on the department chair end... someone finds a last minute public school job at the last minute and dumps us as a Catholic School. I can tell you: it is NOT my ideal way of spending Labor Day weekend, or any of the last few days of summer.
     
  6. kiraj

    kiraj Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    Messages:
    187
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 10, 2007

    I also agree. We were warned not to accept and then change our minds in our graduate program because someday we might want to reapply in the district. Having it on file or in memory that you once accepted and then changed your mind certainly won't help you in getting hired. Second, you never know when those people you interviewed with will turn up in your district. Third, administrators talk! What you do in one district won't necessarily stay in that district.

    It is difficult, I agree. I was put in that position this year, and asked for a week to consider it. During that week I had two other interviews, and didn't know if I had those positions or not. I ended up being offered all three, asked for time from each to consider, then got back to them. I cancelled the other two interviews I had scheduled and removed my application from Edzapp.

    I was prepared to make my choice and stick with it, even if I hadn't heard back from other districts.

    I can understand the dilemma though, and I think everyone needs to make the decision they can live with. Feeding a family and having good benefits is really important, and I can imagine it's hard to turn down your dream job after you've been waiting for years.
     
  7. emmyblemmy

    emmyblemmy Companion

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Messages:
    234
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 10, 2007

    Yes, I agree. It's a professional and an integrity issue. And yes, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, either- but that is my opinion.
     
  8. DaveF

    DaveF Companion

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2005
    Messages:
    191
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 10, 2007

    Couldn't have said it any better myself.
     
  9. nicegirl

    nicegirl Comrade

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2007
    Messages:
    374
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 10, 2007

    I wouldn't back out of a position. I did, however, continue to schedule interviews till my district came back and said I was HQ and approved for my current position. Had it not been a question I would have not scheduled or gone on any other interviews. I in fact only scheduled one, but canceled before going on it because I found out everything was approved for my job offer.
     
  10. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Aug 10, 2007

    I think it's just as unprofessional to cancel on a school before signing (but after a verbal agreement) as it would be on the school's part to decide they actually liked another candidate better and rescind the offer.
     
  11. Weazy

    Weazy Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    Messages:
    478
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 10, 2007


    Excellent point!
     
  12. wldywall

    wldywall Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    34

    Aug 10, 2007

    When I got my job offer last November, I got other calls for interveiws. One came an hour after I got the offer! I told them sorry, you are one hour too late, I just accepted another position, thanks for considering me. I was so grateful to get the job, well I dind't want to screw up my chances by asking for time to consider. That said, if it wasn't a emergency situation on both sides (they had a LTS since the beginning of the year who was not certified, it was Nov before I was hired) I would have not taken any time to consider, I would have accepted. Once I accepted I would have stuck to my word.

    For me when I make a promise, whether it is to my familiy or others I need to keep that promise. The only thing I have that cannot be taken away from me is my integrity, and I won't give it away.

    I do understand why some people change their minds, accept other offers, however I know I could never do that, nor can I understand people who are always looking for the "better" job out there. I wonder if they are unhappy in their current job because it isn't the next good thing. That is just not for me.
     
  13. Mrs.Bran

    Mrs.Bran Comrade

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2007
    Messages:
    265
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 11, 2007

    I feel that this post was somewhat directed at me because I quit a private school (before starting) and took a job at a public school district. There are reasons to keep looking after accepting, but not signing a contract. At my school there was a gal who was offered a 50% science job and the next day they changed the position to 50% P.E.. Until you have actually sign a contract I think you should consider other options.

    At the private school where I accepted the 3rd grade job they told me twice that I was an at-will employee. That works two ways. Also,school does not start there for another 10 days. They can easily fill that position. I started the same day I was hired at my new school.
     
  14. wldywall

    wldywall Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    34

    Aug 11, 2007

    No Mrs. Bran, we understand your decision. But in many cases if you give your word, and sign a contract you should keep it. I just have a hard time with someone getting a good job, no funny stuff like you mentioned but leaving them in the lurch months later becuase they got an offer in their "dream district". I do not know anyone on this site that has done this, but on other sites I have heard of it. If you give your word and accept and a month or so has gone by, well keep it. At that point anyone else that was the 2nd or 3rd runner up would have moved on too.

    Once you have that contract you should have a good reason to take a different offer.

    You explained yourself, why you made the decision you did, and I don't blame you, it was a financial decision, not the looking for the pie in the sky dream (okay, you got that anyway, but that isnt the point :D ) of a perfect district. The idea that the next best thing is out there and that people need to be disatistifed with what you have because you don't have the other. That idea just hurts people in the end.

    sorry you felt like it was directed toward you
     
  15. nicegirl

    nicegirl Comrade

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2007
    Messages:
    374
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 12, 2007

    I think this whole scenario applies to the people who think the grass is greener on the other side. I received calls for interviews for schools that were newer and closer to home after I accepted my offer, but I stuck to where I was. I made the decision and it was right for me. If there were circumstances serious enough for me to continue looking I would have, but only before signing a contract. Once you sign, unless there is an emergency of some sort I believe it's in really poor taste to back out of a contract. The grass is usually not greener on the other side!!

    Mrs. Bran, you made the right decision for you. This is a personal choice and you did what you had to do considering your circumstances. What is right for you is not always right for someone else. Good luck in your new position and I am glad you are where you want to be! :haha:
     
  16. Mrs.Bran

    Mrs.Bran Comrade

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2007
    Messages:
    265
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 12, 2007

    Thanks, I feel a little better!
     
  17. Tutor

    Tutor Comrade

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2007
    Messages:
    289
    Likes Received:
    2

    Aug 12, 2007

    I was offered a position in a Catholic school in the next town over last week and I accepted it even though I'm still waiting for an interview at the public school in the town I live in. I didn't know what to do as I really want to work at the public school but they are taking forever to do interviews (I called the day I was offered the CS job and they told me to keep waiting).

    I don't want to be unemployed but the CS pays 50% less than the public school. So as much as it will pain me to tell the CS I can't, I hope she'll understand the financial end.
     
  18. MsWK

    MsWK Habitué

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    Messages:
    852
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 12, 2007

    What Alice said.

    If you've accepted the offer, then you should follow through. You've got the rest of your life to follow other opportunities. Once someone has accepted a position with my program, I believe in them, so I STOP INTERVIEWING. If the person who accepted then goes on to decline a week or two later, I have to post the ad and start interviewing ALL OVER AGAIN, since most of the people I interviewed the first time around have already taken other jobs.

    To be honest, I think it's a cheap trick, one that's very unprofessional, and anyone who does this to us wouldn't ever get a second glance again.
     
  19. IloveKinder

    IloveKinder Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 12, 2007

    I agree completely. I am in that position right now. I just applied and interviewed for something I don't really want simply because there aren't enough jobs out there. If I got offered that job and then got an interview from the school I really want to work in I would definitely wait to commit or change my mind if offerred another job before signing a contract. I think that you must always put your happiness first. I have been screwed by a school before and I would not feel very guilty for having to make a decision that would ultimately effect my state of mind for nine months. You have to love what you do to be an effective teacher. :)
     
  20. katrinkakat

    katrinkakat Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2006
    Messages:
    1,577
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 13, 2007

    I got a job offer and accepted it. Then the HR gal went on vacation for two weeks, so I can't sign the contract till the 29th. It is a little unsettling to not have that contract signed because I have to turn in a resignation for my former position and I hate to do that until I have actually signed a contract. I am hoping she is good to her word and I will feel better when I sign it!
     
  21. rockets24

    rockets24 Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2007
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 13, 2007


    I totally understand where you are coming from. I taught at a Catholic school for 4 years and drove to the next town. Two weeks before school started, a position opened up at the school in my community (where my husband teaches and kids will go to school and twenty million people are waiting to get in to). The principal had kidney stones so interviews got delayed. Needless to say, I was offered the job at 7:30 the night before I was supposed to start workshop at the Catholic school. Even though I had given my principal a heads up on the situation, I felt horrible asking her to let me out of my contract. Fortunately, everything worked out wonderfully. The Catholic school had a teacher that wanted 4th grade (my grade) and was willing to move at the last moment, and I love teaching so close to home. I can't wait to see my son going up and down the halls as a kindergartener this year!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. brandoptions
Total: 219 (members: 1, guests: 201, robots: 17)
test