Accepting a position for next year...question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Jul 19, 2011.

  1. Jerseygirlteach

    Jerseygirlteach Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    2

    Jul 19, 2011

    Here's my situation. I worked at a district last year and was RIF'd. I need a job for the upcoming school year so I have been applying to anything and everything including mat. leave positions. I had an interview late last week that seemed to go very well. He told me that he had one more interview coming up for Wed. (tomorrow) and that he'd be making a decision after that. I have a good feeling that he'll offer me the job but, of course, you never know. Today, I had another mat. leave interview. This interview also went very well. Tomorrow, I have another interview (when it rains, it pours!) for a permanent position in a district where I would LOVE to work. Additionally, there's yet another district where I had some inside help (long story) and have been told I will probably be called for an interview for a permanent position.

    So here's my dilemma. Let's say either of the mat. leave positions pan out and I am offered the job. And then an opportunity comes along for a permanent position elsewhere. What can I do? I'd be devastated to turn down a perm. position because I've already commited myself to a mat. leave. But I feel like I can't turn down a mat. leave right now in the hopes of getting a permanent position.

    Just to sum up the urgency here...I might hear about the mat. leave position I interview for last week by tomorrow and I also have an interview for a perm. position in another district tomorrow. Who knows when I might hear the results of that one...What would you do in my situation?
     
  2.  
  3. MsMar

    MsMar Fanatic

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Messages:
    2,771
    Likes Received:
    53

    Jul 19, 2011

    If you get an offer for the maternity leave position ask when they need to have an answer by. If they need an answer before you have another offer, take the maternity leave.
     
  4. Ms. I

    Ms. I Maven

    Joined:
    May 13, 2004
    Messages:
    5,871
    Likes Received:
    157

    Jul 19, 2011

    Yes, stall them for as long as you can, so you can hopefully get something better. I hope you get your 1st choice!
     
  5. Jerseygirlteach

    Jerseygirlteach Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    2

    Jul 19, 2011

    Okay then, two follow up questions...

    1. Does it make you look disinterested and potentially make them lose interest in you if you do not accept a position immediately and instead ask for additional time to think about it?

    2. Is it really unethical and "bridge burning" to accept a mat. leave position and then change your mind if you are offered a perm. position elsewhere soon after that? I have a feeling I know what the response will be to this but it is just so exceedingly difficult to find a perm. position around here and I think it might kill me to turn one down because I've commited to a 3 months mat. leave.
     
  6. Elocin

    Elocin Comrade

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Messages:
    364
    Likes Received:
    4

    Jul 19, 2011

    This may not be the popular opinion but sometimes, you have to do what is best for you. There is no guarantee you will get to keep that perm position for next year and obviously the mat. leave school is not going to welcome you back with open arms but I believe sometimes we have to make decisions based on our own financial and job security.

    This school is looking to fill a position--they are making no other promises to you about your future and they don't have to. They are taking care of their best interests and you need to take care of yours--as respectfully to the school as possible.

    It might be a little stressful for them in the short run but they will most likely have no shortage of candidates. Best case scenario you can let them know with time before school starts but I would try to stall as much as you can so you don't have to make any promises.

    Good luck-- it is a tough position to be in and I hope it all works out for the best for you.
     
  7. TamiJ

    TamiJ Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    Messages:
    6,873
    Likes Received:
    229

    Jul 19, 2011

    Well, I agree that you should stall, because if the opening with a permanent position pans out for you, that is clearly more desirous than a temporary position.

    And, I had once been accepted a mat. position and later backed out of it because something more long term came out. I called the district office and then the teacher and would not accept the other job unless they were both okay with me backing out. They completely understood and no bridges were burned there, but this could entirely depend on who you are dealing with. Just because it worked for me doesn't mean that it would work everywhere.
     
  8. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10,924
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 19, 2011

    I think that it is okay to let them know that you would like some time to think it over, talk with family, etc. Then let the other places know that you have a job offer on the table and have a deadline.

    I think that if you accept the maternity leave and then find a permanent position, go in and talk with the principal of the maternity leave. They may understand and let you out of the position or they may not. Be okay with their answer.
     
  9. callmebob

    callmebob Enthusiast

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    2,030
    Likes Received:
    6

    Jul 19, 2011

    I had a friend this year who was going through a handful of interviews at the same time. After she got her first offer, she told them she had another interview and would make her decision after that. If they offer you the job, that means they want you. You have every right to say you need to sleep on it or you need to see what is best for you. Now that doesn't mean you should try and make them wait too long, that could back fire. But a day or two is very reasonable.
     
  10. StarrShine2

    StarrShine2 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 19, 2011

    This may also not be the opinion of the majority but this is my opinion. I have been in the exact same position as you are in right now. I accepted a maternity leave position and once I was offered a permanent position I told the maternity position that I was offered something permanent. They may not have been thrilled, but they understood. Also remember the market you are in, if you "quit" the maternity leave position, I can promise you that they have other qualified candidates to fill the slot right away.
     
  11. silverspoon65

    silverspoon65 Enthusiast

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    Messages:
    2,403
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 19, 2011

    I was in this situation 2 years ago. I got offered a one year long term position that would have probably turned into a full time position after that year. Problem was, it was an hour commute. I tried to put them off for awhile but I finally had to make a decision so I told them I would take it.

    I had an interview for a permanent position a few weeks later and got the job. I did feel a little bad about the first school because they would have to find someone else, and they had already been really nice in helping me get materials together, but they were not offering me a permanent position so I did not feel like I was obligated to take the job or that I was doing anything wrong.

    Also in this economy, schools have teachers knocking down their doors and we are all looking for stable jobs. It's criminal of them to make you feel bad if you can get a permanent position.
     
  12. Marci07

    Marci07 Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Messages:
    1,017
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 19, 2011

    My coworker was in this situation. She was covering a maternity leave and then when she saw no hope of getting a permanent position at our school, she started looking. She found a job and told the P about it. The P understood the situation and I don't think he got upset.
     
  13. Emily Bronte

    Emily Bronte Groupie

    Joined:
    May 28, 2006
    Messages:
    1,265
    Likes Received:
    11

    Jul 19, 2011

    I would stall if you can and see what happens with the other interview. It makes more sense to take a permanent position. Like others have said, there are teachers knocking down their doors. They would find someone else rather quickly. A year ago, my program was looking for a new teacher. They had one hired before the end of the school year, but that person found something better over the summer and took that other job instead. It wasn't a big deal because there were plenty of other applicants. Financially, it makes the most sense to go for something permanent.
     
  14. Jerseygirlteach

    Jerseygirlteach Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    2

    Jul 20, 2011

    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

    The school where I interviewed last week called this morning asking for 5 references. I am cautiously optimistic that this means an offer is forthcoming. However, if they do offer, I still don't know what to say!

    The school I interviewed today (AKA dream district/job) told me straight out that they'll be interviewing many candidates but I will definitely be moved to the next round of interviews.

    I'm still waiting to hear back from one school and still waiting to interview with another...
     
  15. schoolteacher

    schoolteacher Habitué

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Messages:
    771
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 20, 2011

    That's excellent! You have momentum now.

    Good luck with your decision.
     
  16. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 20, 2011

    Good luck! Hopefully something will pan out soon!
     
  17. YoungTeacherGuy

    YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Messages:
    4,449
    Likes Received:
    1,460

    Jul 20, 2011

    I'm excited for you, JerseyGirlTeach! Keep us posted! I'm rootin' for ya!
     
  18. MzMooreTeaches

    MzMooreTeaches Cohort

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Messages:
    537
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 20, 2011

    Busy times ahead! Whew at the 5 references, that has to be a good sign! The 2nd round of interviews was great to know that you made it! Excited for ya! hang in there and keep us posted!
     
  19. waterfall

    waterfall Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    6,022
    Likes Received:
    884

    Jul 21, 2011

    I agree with this. Stall the maternity leave position as long as possible, and then just be honest with your top choices and tell them you have a job offer on the table, but are really interested in working at their school, and you need to know by whatever deadline. If the other school(s) really like you, they should have no problem making a quick decision.

    Personally, I wouldn't take a maternity leave position when I had so many other interviews/possibilities lined up. Around here, you don't get paid any more than a regular sub as a LTS unless you're there for a really long time (at least a full semester) and you don't get any benefits. The only good thing would be something to put on your resume and maybe making some good connections. I'd save that as a last resort but that's just me.
     
  20. smtownEngteach

    smtownEngteach Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2011
    Messages:
    55
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 21, 2011

    It is the same where I live Waterfall. I subbed for one teacher for two and a half months at the end of the last school year(her husband was in a crop duster crash) and made 55.00 a day (i.e.: sub pay).

    I would too do what the others said, and if you end up accepting the maternity leave position and then get offered full time somewhere else. I would talk to the principal of the job you accepted. More likely than not they are going to understand your situation. With the economy like it is you have to do what is best for you and secure a full time job when the opportunity comes around.
     
  21. Jerseygirlteach

    Jerseygirlteach Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    2

    Jul 21, 2011

    Thanks everyone! Okay, now I'm panicking a bit. The school that asked for my references yesterday has yet to call me back and I know they have a board meeting tonight. I assume they'll want to submit the final candidate's name then. At the top of my reference list is my supervisor from the district that RIF'd me (but chose NOT to hire me back even though a position opened up). He gave me great evals and a letter of rec. but maybe said negative things when they called to check on me???? Now, I'm a nervous wreck!

    BTW, I actually don't know for sure what the job pays but I think the standard around here is regular sub rate for the first 20 days and then standard teacher salary per diem for the remaining time.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Ima Teacher,
  2. vickilyn,
  3. Mr.history,
  4. SPED-Teacher,
  5. waterfall
Total: 521 (members: 5, guests: 493, robots: 23)
test