Accepted new job, but feeling awkward because...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Jun 19, 2015.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 19, 2015

Accepted new job, but feeling awkward because...(UPDATE)

I haven't heard from my old administrator! :(

Here's the situation: I LOVED my school this year! But, I was commuting an hour. I interviewed and got hired for a position in a different county at a school that is five minutes away. :) YAY! I am so excited, and I am pumped to not spend 2 hours a day in the car.

I didn't tell my admin that I was looking, because if I didn't find anything, I wanted to come back to my old school. So, when I got the job, I went ahead and emailed my P and told her how I was leaving, thank you for everything, I learned so much from you, etc. No response. :(

I want to know when she gets it because I don't want to tell anyone else until she is aware, and I also need to know when to come and get my things (because we don't have our keys right now).

I just emailed her yesterday morning, but she usually has responded right now. If she doesn't respond, what should I do?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 19, 2015

I personally would've called or gone in. I would still choose that route if she hasn't responded.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 19, 2015

:agreed:

5. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 19, 2015

Oh. I honestly didn't even think about that. :(

Last year was my first year teaching. She was never much of a "caller", in fact we have never spoken via phone. I also just knew we weren't allowed back at school until July 1st to go in our rooms, so I didn't know if she would be up there, and then I would have wasted an hour drive.

I probably should have called, though. More polite, I suppose. I just honestly didn't even think about it because we have always communicated through email.

6. London

London Rookie

Jun 19, 2015

I wouldn't worry about the no response too much. if the email didn't really require a reply to a specific question, she may not have had the time to answer (or not know what to say). Principals can get MANY emails a day (I'm only a team leader and I can get 50+ emails during the school year and more than 10 a day during the summer). Also and email resignation should be fine nowadays, especially since your principal uses email to communicate with you. One of my former colleagues resigned by text message! so email is definitely better than that.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 19, 2015

Yeah, but a staffing change is kind of an important email. :unsure:

OP, I might call just to be safe. It's gonna be awkward no matter what.

8. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 19, 2015

I would wait at least 48 hours for an email response, then go stop by the school in person if I hadn't heard anything. I'm not a caller, either. Not sure why, but I prefer to handle business in writing or in person.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2015

You really need to call and set up an an appt to get your things.

In spite of the society we presently live in, there is no replacement for face-to-face contact.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2015

I sent an email when I accepted a new job because my P was at school and we have to let them know ASAP and my P never wrote me back. So I took it upon myself to seek her out and when I saw her she told me she'd follow up with me later. So three weeks after I accepted the job we finally talked about it.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 19, 2015

So, you just sent n email? No formal resignation letter to the principal and HR?

12. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 19, 2015

I just sent an email. I have never left a position before. I didn't know I was supposed to do that.

:mellow:

13. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 19, 2015

I hadn't signed a contract for next year yet or anything. I don't know if that makes a difference.

14. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jun 19, 2015

Definitely call and then send a formal resignation letter to your P.

15. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 19, 2015

Okay. I will try and call next week and I am working on a resignation letter for the board and for her. Thanks!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2015

It doesn't require a lot of work. Reiterate what you put in your email. Call school. Most likely the secretaries will be there. Tell them you'd like to come pick up your personal goods.

17. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2015

Exactly ... I have never heard of anyone quitting an "adult" job by just sending an email?!?!

What about pay, benefits and other factors?

Quitting without notice in my district means they have the right to "hold" your license so you can't teach anywhere else in-state. Also, my district has been known to mess with people's pay when they quit without notice.

18. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jun 20, 2015

I would just call and make sure that the principal got it. I actually just did the exact same thing, left a great school because it was 45 minutes away. I have just accepted a job at a school that is 5 minutes away! Yay for short commute!

19. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 20, 2015

Thanks for the response, everyone! I guess this is just my age and lack of experience shining through. I kind of just thought I would tell my P and she would handle it from there, tell the board she needed a new teacher, etc. I guess I thought wrong.

This is my first "adult" job with benefits, so I am learning.

Now I know.

I also kind of had the thought process that since I had only signed a contract for last year, and haven't signed one for this year, that my benefits would stop being active as I hadn't signed a new contract. My contract for this district ends in July. My contract for my new district will begin in August, so I just thought it would all kind of work out on it's own.

Here's my new plan:

-On Monday, (if they aren't in the middle of doing the floors), I will go up to my school and give my P (or the secretary) my letter of resignation. I will chalk up the email to, "Oh, I wanted to let you know once I found out, but here is my formal letter of resignation."

-I will then see when a good time to get my things would be.

-I will go from there and take a copy to the school board.

And then I will be done? I guess?

Teacherguy, congrats on a closer job!!!!!! It's a great feeling!

20. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 20, 2015

Question, was this quitting without notice? :(

I just said in my email that I wouldn't be returning for the 2015-2016 school year because I had found a closer school.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2015

Yes. In my district you must inform the Board of Education's HC department if you want to quit. Here, there is a deadline you must resign by if you want to quit and continue teaching the next Fall with another in-state, public school district. It is the Board - and not your school Admin - that deal with processing resignations.

Good luck!

22. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 20, 2015

That is good to know! Man, I should have come here first before sending that email. If only I could go back in time :p

At least in the future, if I ever leave another district, I will know the expectations, I guess.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2015

In the district I just left, there are penalties depending on when you resign. If it's before the end of May, then there aren't any. Once it's June, it costs you $500. Every two weeks the penalty goes up another $500, and maxes out at $2,000. But I believe this is after you sign a contract or intent to return.

24. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 20, 2015

:eek: :eek: :eek:

No one has mentioned that to me, so hopefully it isn't that way in my disctrict!!!!!

25. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 22, 2015

UPDATE!

I took my resignation letter to both my school and to the board this morning. I was really nervous, but my P was super nice and gave me about five hugs!!! And I got my classroom cleaned out. You all were right....face to face is the way to go! :)

On a happy note, I also got my keys to my new class today. YAY!

I am just happy with how everything has worked out! Just wanted to keep you all updated.

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2015

So glad it worked out for you!

27. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

So happy it went well!