accepted job but have not started yet - how do I best resign now?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by motomaestra, Aug 2, 2007.

1. motomaestra

motomaestra New Member

Aug 2, 2007

I was hired by a school district in Illinois to teach this coming fall. This would be my 7th year of teaching. My first six years of teaching were spent in a different district, also in Illinois. I have signed the contract. The contract says that I begin on August 14th. Today is August 2nd. For personal reasons, I have decided that I do not want to teach. I am not looking for another teaching job at this time. What is the best way for me to handle this? Can they force me to teach there since I already signed the contract? It is a very good school district with a good reputation. My position is a bilingual position. This makes it harder to fill but since it is a district that people would love to get into...maybe not quite as hard to fill. I would like to know how to best handle the situation. Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  3. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Write a formal letter to the BOE and your principal. Site no specifics and wash your hands. And don't worry about filling the job...they'll find someone. But, make sure you are sure this is what you want. Because once you do this they may not hire you again.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 2, 2007

Check your contract and check with your union rep. In Ohio they can hold your license for a year if you break a contract, but it doesn't sound like that would be a problem for you if Illinois has a similar policy.

5. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I know my contract says that I must give 60 days notice if I am going to resign and I am not allowed to resign during the month of August. Is there anything in the contract aboug resigning? (Although, I have known people to resign in Aug. due to "life issues" either moving or pregnancy or something.)

6. motomaestra

motomaestra New Member

Aug 2, 2007

Thanks. Just a letter? Do you think I should call as well? I will need to pick up my stuff from the classroom.

7. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

In my county, a letter is all it takes. I would just call the school and let them know you are coming by, but I wouldn't go into details. It's your business.....ya know?

I hate that you are leaving our professeion! We need great teachers out there. But, I'm glad you are able to say "I need out" rather than staying because you feel obligated. That takes guts.

Good Luck to you.

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

I would really think hard about this because most districts have a "black list" and won't ever look at you again...

Kelly :)

9. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I suggest you go to the district's HR office. At my school district teachers have to personally take a resignation letter to their principal and super. And, teachers also have to complete a checklist and have an exit interview. You also have to resign 45 days before the first day of school. Check with your union rep before doing this because the school district can hold your certificate for a year.

10. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

Only do this if you are sure you don't ever want to teach again.