Accepted a leave position. Should I still interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by houseofbooks, Aug 26, 2013.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 26, 2013

Hey guys! This question might seem like a no brainer, but here goes nothing. I accepted a maternity leave position, which covers the 1st marking period, and I'm looking forward to it. However, when I came home from setting up the classroom, a nearby Catholic school left a message about interviewing for a full time position. Obviously the full time position would pay a lot more and provide me with a year of experience instead 1 marking period's worth. And who knows if I'll be able to find another leave position to take me through the rest of the year.

Suggestions? I think I'm going to interview anyway, but how do I explain the situation to my current supervisor if I get this full time position? :help: I didn't sign a contract for the leave position, but I guess I hate disappointing people, haha.

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 26, 2013

Go for the interview for the full-time position. The LTS employer will understand.

4. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 26, 2013

When I accepted a maternity leave position they told me to not worry about it if I found a full time job just to let them know.
    Good Luck

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2013

Definitely interview! Good luck!

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 26, 2013

I say go ahead and interview as well.

Good luck!

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 26, 2013

Yes, do the interview. However, before you accept another position, make sure you are giving adequate time for the LTS position to be refilled. You don't want to burn bridges.

8. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 26, 2013

I'm concerned about leaving enough time since school begins next Friday (it's a half day). Hopefully, the interview/decision will be quick and if I do get the permanent job, they'll have at least a week to find a replacement. Plus I already made copies/lesson plans for the first full week so the replacement would be prepared to go right away. I'd feel AWFUL if I left them high and dry, and don't want to burn bridges. :(

Thanks for all the advice so far, folks. I'm definitely going to interview and see what happens.

9. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 27, 2013

My interview is tomorrow morning! Here goes nothing!

Another question: should I mention the maternity leave in my interview or not? Thanks guys.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2013

Good luck on your interview.

If you do accept the LTS, be sure to let them know that you are still interested in full time teaching potions and that you plan to keep your feelers out for such positions.

11. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 27, 2013

I wouldn't mention the LTS in your interview. But definitely ask their timeline for hiring. And IF you get the perm position, don't feel bad about the LTS. Remember there are LOTS of job seekers out there who would love that job. Good luck

12. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 27, 2013

If you get it I am pretty sure they would be understanding enough to your giving proper notice to the LTS employer.....I interviewed today and even though school starts next week they said if they were to choose me or anyone they would understand the need to give notice to current employer and would get a sub until the new hire can report.