Accepted a job, but....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rachaelski, Jun 2, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

When I went to my future location, I had an interview as a director of an after school program. They paid for my plane ticket to come out. Well, after interviewing with them and a couple school I decided that I wanted to stay in the classroom (I love teaching, I could balance teaching and being in a PhD program). Also, I hadn't heard anything from the afterschool program. I accepted a position with another school. Today (over 2 weeks later) I received a VM from the after school program, the person eluded to me having the position. How do I say thanks, but no thanks to the people that paid for my ticket????? I hate telling people no! I almost feel like I owe them something! :banghead:

3. Mommatothebear

Mommatothebear Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

I would simply say that you were impressed with their program (if you were) and that you appreciate their interest, but you decided that you would prefer to take a teaching position and have already accepted another offer.

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

They couldn't take back the agreement to pay for the plan ticket, could they?

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

I don't think they can go back on paying for the plane ticket. It was foolish of them to do so, to be honest. Their mistake!

6. Mommatothebear

Mommatothebear Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

I do not believe they can make you repay them for the plane ticket unless you signed something stating that you would if you did not accept an offer from them. I doubt you did that, so I wouldn't worry. I agree it was kind of foolish of them to pay for some random person to fly out to interview.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2009

I don't think they can make you pay for the ticket when it's already been said and done.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2009

I agree with other posters, that it doesn't seem like they could take away the plane ticket unless you signed something. I can't believe that anyplace actually paid for a plane ticket. Last year when I was interviewing a district paid for my hotel and that surprised me!

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

It's silly. Clearly if they're paying for traveling expenses, they really want to consider you. Why on earth did it taken them so long to offer you the position?! Dummies!

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

I agree with Emma--Did they think you were just waiting around to hear from them? They did not make an offer and someone else did and it this time, you need to grab any job that could be a good fit for you.

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

The organization is a national after school program that focuses on enriching learning experiences (no dodgeball). They are pretty reputable. I had a phone interview with the national office, a phone interview with the regional office, and then they flew me in for a panel interview with the whole regional team. They then waited 2 weeks to call me! I assumed I didn't have it after that long.

Actually, this is the second time I have been flown in for interviews and I have also had a principal fly in to see me teacher (these we positions at high performing charter schools).

Anyhow, I call them back. I told the director I was honor, but that I had just accepted a position somewhere else. I explained that I assumed I did not get the position because I hadn't heard from them in two weeks (however, I think that the position would not have been the best fit for me, I would not have been able to start my PhD program [didn't say the part in parentheses to him]). He was surprised, then mad, that I hadn't had anyone contact me over the two weeks.

Remind me of the importance of a "good fit" when I am begging for change on the street corner. This job I turned down was an offer about 10k higher than any other position. The one I am taking is the lowest paying!

12. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

:confused: Wait, he was mad that you hadn't contacted anyone during the two weeks you were waiting to hear from them? This man is mental. :lol:

13. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

Not mad at me! And perhaps frustrated is more appropriate. He sounded frustrated that no one in his office contacted me. He was totally nice to me.

14. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

You snooze, you lose works both ways!

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

A good fit is sooo important. That is what I am looking for this time. That company must be doing well financially to pay for interviewees to fly in. I wouldn't feel bad. It wasn't attached to any promise from you. Good luck on your new job!!

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

A good fit is your sanity. That is why some of us are unemployed.

17. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

Aaaahhhh! I see. I think someone's going to get/has already received a stern talking to!