Accelerated Reader

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SportsFanTr, Jul 28, 2012.

1. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jul 28, 2012

My school is pretty big in AR, and I really enjoy it. We don't give rewards for the kids besides an end-of-year field trip and an occasional surprise treat throughout the year, but it has really helped our little school. I let my kids choose any book and if it's not in AR, they write me a one-paragraph summary and if they have the gist of the book, I will give them the points that it would be worth (I've leveled enough books I can usually figure this out on my own). Anyways, that's just to say I know AR can be used poorly, but I believe we are doing it well. I do need a slight bit of help though if anyone knows if these exist:

1) I'd like to find a reading bookmark with strategies for reading, and a place to put their individual goal, based on their ZPD. Anyone seen something like this?

2) I want to create either a Football themed or Olympic themed bulletin board for the kiddos. I do NOT want it to be points based, but rather goal based. I am very UNcreative, but if I can see a picture, I can usually recreate pretty well.

:thanks:

3. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

For a football theme, you could have students' names written on footballs and have them move them toward the end to make touch downs. You could go by percents toward their goals. Maybe you could even have your class divided into two teams and have their footballs go to opposite ends of the field.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2012

We use AR too. Do you use the certification system? (Ready Reader, Independent, Rising Reader....) We don't use a book mark, but we do have a piece a paper that we laminate with their ZPD and the color code for their particular level(s) of books they can get when they go to the library.
    In my class, they have a chart, so that when they make a 100 on a test they put a sticker on it. When the chart is full, they get a prize. For a school wide reward system, everytime they get a new certification they get to play Wii. Once they reach independent reader they get a shirt. Some get it in kinder, most get their shirts in first grade. Then they get to wear it on Friday's. (we wear uniforms so getting to wear something different is a treat)

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2012

I never used a points based BB. I always used the percentage of their goal. With the Olympics, each ring could represent 20% of their goal.
    I usually had 10 things, for each 10%.

6. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jul 28, 2012

This was sort of what I had in mind, but what did you use for student names...medals? And how did you show what percent each ring represents? Even better, do you have a pic of this (you can PM me if needed)

Thanks!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2012

Message/picture sent.

I would probably write the percentage on the top of the ring. You could do medals, or little people, or even something like a running shoe.

8. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jul 29, 2012

Thank you for the picture, I appreciate it! I think I have a vision now: Each ring will represent 20% of their goal, but I will separate the rings across the board rather than have them overlap like the true logo. Each child will get a Bronze Medal for making it into the Olympics and when they reach 100% will receive a Silver medal. I always have a few students that go above and beyond every year, so if they hit 200% of their goal, they will receive a Gold medal!

I also have started creating a bookmark that has their name, ZPD, quarter, and goal on it. Under the goal are 5 percentages (20-100) and I will lead students through finding each percent of their goal, so that I'm not asked that question a million times - it will just be on their bookmark.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 29, 2012

Okay, now I'm really confused. I guess I need to read up on AR, because this year my firsties will begin "doing" AR (only 2nd & up have done it in the past). I know that ZPD is the zone of proximal development, but could you please explain the goals & how having their ZPD on a bookmark would help? I feel really stupid right now.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2012

You are welcome :)

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2012

Enchanted Learning (AR's parent) has a goal setting chart. You use their reading level to give them a point goal. Picture books are typically worth 0.5 points. They take tests are earn points.

I always had a sticker made that I stuck on their reading log that told them what their ZPD and goals were. They need to know what level books to read, and they should know their goal so they know how many books to read.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2012

In many schools, students set a goal (usually a number of points). Since each child's goal is different, many people track progress towards that goal by percentage--if my goal is 100 points, 10 points would be 10%. If your goal is 50 points, 5 points is 10%. That way nobody can tell what the specific goals are and everyone can make progress. If you use the STAR test along with AR, each student has a ZPD for the level of books they should be reading. Putting that on a bookmark helps students pick good-fit books. We actually usually just use index cards. (I never enforce it strictly, but it gives my kiddos a guide. If they want to read a book that's out of their level, they need to check with me).

13. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jul 29, 2012

A lot of other posters answered this question, but I thought I'd elaborate a bit. Hopefully your school has STAR Reader which is a component of AR that gives them a Reading level in terms of grade.month (ex 1.8 = first grade, eighth month). If you don't have this, you can find a chart online that will give Lexile, F&P, and AR corresponding levels.

Next, you will use a chart, like the one below (this is not my school, just what I found through google) to create individual goals for each student. This way your "low" kids aren't competing to read as fast or as many books as your high readers, because that wouldn't be fair.

http://mail.clevelandcountyschools....2CD/AR%20Goal-Setting%20Chart.pdf?Plugin=Loft

So, a couple of examples based on reading 30 minutes per day over one quarter:

• Johnny - 1.0 ZPD - 7.5 points
    • Sally - 1.5 ZPD - 8.5 points
    • Jimmy - 2.0 ZPD - 9.5 points

The chart only lists ZPD's in half point increments, so you will need to round up or down as necessary.

Also, not sure how familiar you are with AR, but most first grade level books are about half a point to a point, while second grade books range from half a point to two points.

14. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jul 29, 2012

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 29, 2012

Great bookmark, MrsHodge!

To everyone who answered, I have no idea if we have STAR reader or not (this will be the first year 1st grade has been allowed on AR at all). I have been putting the AR levels on all of the books in my classroom library, but been unable to do anything with that till now. Unfortunately, my school doesn't do running records or determine any kind of reading "levels" beyond DIBELS scores - and those don't get done until October. I can look at their DIBELS results from K in their cum folders, but the K tests are all about phonemic awareness and letter recognition. Seriously, I almost learn which students can actually read by accident.