Accelerated Reader Program

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by corney, Nov 18, 2009.

1. corney

corney Companion

Nov 18, 2009

Can children read books out side their assigned reading level and still take the quizes on them? My daughter does not like to read however there is a series of books she really enjoys that are listed above her level but she can read them fine. She told me her teacher told her not to read them because they weren't on her reading level.. if she is able to pass the quiz why would anyone want to discourage a child from reading especially something of interest and on a higher level to me that shows she is learning and developing an interest. :confused::confused:

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2009

At our school, children are allowed to with teacher approval. Sometimes a book is leveled high, but the kids get into it and so they are more motivated to understand it (my boys have been that way with the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books). Maybe you could talk to the teacher about her policy, and see if she could maybe do a trial basis with one of the books?

4. corney

corney Companion

Nov 19, 2009

I've contacted the teacher but haven't gotten a response yet. My child hates to read.. I don't want her being told not to read something she is interested in, it sends the wrong message.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

If I was her teacher, I would love that she is interested in reading those books. The whole idea behind AR is to interest children in reading. The only reason a teacher would say no is if they felt the child could not pass the test and that would bring the class scores down. Since that would be a completely stupid reason to forbid a child to read higher level books, I'm sure no teacher would ever do that! :whistle: (At least no teacher who has the good sense to frequent our forum!!)
    Now, if your child happens to have one of those teachers...just let her read the books for fun.
    Another thought...in our district, children can test at home because the testing program is not stored on the school server. That may be a good work around.

6. corney

corney Companion

Nov 20, 2009

I would love to have each and every one of the teachers here to be teaching my daughter.. I get so much information and positive thinking from all of you.. It's obvious you are all teachers because you want to make a difference in a childs life not just collect a pay check.. Thanks to all of you..

I still haven't heard from her teacher about this matter but my daughter told me last night she is going to up her level so she will be able to test on those books. I also told her that just because she can't read them for school doesn't mean she can't read them for fun.. She understood that.. The school has an AR club that meets once a week for an hour.. she is reading highter level books and testing on them with great success. As for testing at home, do you have a link? I don't know if the program is available or not but it would still be a good tool to use at home to see how she is doing with the higher level books.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2009

Here is the link off of our district web site. The fine print says it is a web based program so it might work for you. If it doesn't, it certainly won't hurt for you to ask the teacher if your district has the ability to test at home.

http://204.78.125.150/RenaissanceServer/

8. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Nov 21, 2009

We also use the online AR through Renaissance -

Students at my school can not test at home. We found that parents were taking tests for students and students had never even seen/heard of the book. But students can log-in to see their record and points. Parents can even get a log-in to check on their child's progress.

Most teachers want students to read books that are close to their level, most do not allow lower level and but will allow higher if the student can prove that they can read and understand. We also found that students were watching the movie and then taking a test on the book.

We use the 5 finger rule to quickly judge - Pick a page in the middle of the book, read aloud. Each time you do not know a word you put up a finger. If you have 5 at the end of the page, the book is too hard.

9. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Nov 21, 2009

Motivation

I hope your daughter's teacher changes her position on your daughter testing on the books she like. We're always supposed to be looking for ways to get reluctant readers to pick up a book!

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2009

I like that method for choosing books.

11. corney

corney Companion

Nov 23, 2009

I can see where having the ability to test at home could be a problem.. personally I wouldn't do all that but I'm sure there are others that will. The teacher finally responed to my email and said she was moving my daughter up one level but it still isn't the level the books are that she wants to read.. If my daughter did the 5 finger rule she would be in the lowest level and never progress.. :( :( However she can read and does well on her AR tests. Which by the way counts for 50% of her reading grade so she has to do well. I've asked that an exception be made just for these books she likes to read.. there aren't many of them and she doesn't read them one after the other.. if she can test well then I don't see a problem in her reading them for AR.. I haven't gotten a response to that.. By moving her up on the level scale it has built her confidence with her reading and she is willing to read more.. That is a good thing..

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 23, 2009

This is why I tell my students to use the ZPD as a guide. If they want to read below their level, they have to give me a good reason. (I will always accept "all my friends are reading it, and so I want to read it, too!" How many best-sellers these days are written below the 12+ reading level, which is where many of the adults who read them are...) If they want to read above their ZPD, I have to see them reading the book in class so I know they aren't cheating. I hate when they want to read a book that isn't AR, because I feel like I'm holding them back by making them get all of their AR points. There are really good things about AR, and not as good things about AR.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 23, 2009

I'm pretty flexible with my kids' ZPD range, also. I would prefer they not get all their points from picture books. (Becuase frankly, most are not reading for enjoyment at that point.) I don't want to turn a kid off from reading and I won't remove a test EVER unless it happens to be a book that I told the child not to read (and I've only done that with the picture book situation with 2 kids.) I would definitely ask to speak with her teacher and explain the situation. The point of AR is the strengthen a child's reading. If nothing else, ask that she let your child take her STAR Reading test again (if that is what the teacher used for her range - if not, request that the teacher change her range). Reading should be something done for enjoyment - not punishment. (This said with the full knowledge that in a few minutes I will be piled up in my chair, with Christmas music playing, and a book in my lap. :D (Fully ignoring the kitchen and living room and the cleaning that is needed. :D:D)

14. corney

corney Companion

Nov 23, 2009

I just got a message from the teacher.. My daughter got a 60 on the above level book she read and pestered the teacher to let her test on.. one of two things happened, 1st it's been several weeks since she read the book and two she read it on her own with out help.. both I'm sure brought that grade down.. I told the teacher I agree she isn't ready to test on them yet, to explain that to my daughter and I will do the same, plus I will encourage her to read the blue dot books till she is ready for the green dot. I also apologized for pushing the issue.. I just don't want my daughter getting the wrong message.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 23, 2009

The time between reading and testing is probably the biggest factor. I have a child who is a strong reader who has trouble passing tests. He reads larger chapter books in his range, but it takes him weeks to finish. He simply loses a lot of the details due to the time it takes him to finish the book. I'm working on getting his mom to understand why I have him reading small chapter books at his level.

16. corney

corney Companion

Nov 23, 2009

is there a list by level I can download or are they different for each school? The levels are labled by small colored dots. My daughter has been moved to the blue dot level.. I'd like to see what types of books are available on her level.. it would be easier for me to download it then get it from the school.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 23, 2009

Each school creates their own dot system, I'm sure. For my school the blue dot is in the 4th grade range.

18. corney

corney Companion

Nov 23, 2009

I know she isn't on a 4th grade reading level.. she's in 3rd grade but I think reads on a 2nd grade level the best right now.. she gets reading intervention, and tutoring but I still notice she doesn't pronounce words properly. She doesn't like anyone listening to her read cause she is corrected.. I keep telling her that if she doesn't pronounce the words correctly the story won't make sense. Any ideas on that?

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 29, 2009

If your AR program is web based, she can take tests at home.

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2009

Not necessarily--ours is web-based, but set up to only allow access to the tests from our server at school. We were worried we might have some "overly helpful" parents.

21. corney

corney Companion

Dec 1, 2009

I wish I could get a list of books on her level. We have so many at home she could read.. I think I'll contact the teacher about it.. She's gonna just love me by the end of the year.. :)

22. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Dec 2, 2009

I hate canned programs

First of all please encourage your daughter to read anything she thinks she might like. If she needs a motivator, start your own at home. Have her tell you about the book she has just read and ask her what she learned about reading and about life from reading the book. Ask her to write down new words she learned. Have her copy sentences from the book she thought were really neat for some reason.

If you are looking for books on her level, go to
    http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tbw/homePage.do

Put in an author's name or topic that is of interest to her into the quick search box. Once that brings up a list you can narrow it by grade level and find books to get at the library or bookstore.

Lastly, for the writer whose school bases half the student's grade on AR quiz scores. I feel so sorry for you and your students. Even AR doesn't believe it should make up that much of a student's grade.

23. corney

corney Companion

Dec 2, 2009

That would be me, and I completely agree. My poor child struggles because this school system is lacking the leadership it needs to get the proper programs in place to meet every childs needs.. they are more concerned about their FCAT scores and federal dollars then they are about giving these kids a proper education.

I am encouraging my daughter to read what ever she wants to read.. Problem is because her grade does depend a lot on the AR program she has to earn so many points and has a percentage goal to fullfil.. She is able to check out books at her assigned reading level from school, but she hasn't lately.. I was hoping to use the books we have at home instead.. I have a whole stack that are AR approved but I don't know what level they are according to the school standards..

If she does read a book not on the list I do review it with her, mostly by asking questions about the story to be sure she comprehended what she read.. :)

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 2, 2009

25. corney

corney Companion

Dec 2, 2009

thanks.. now I need to find out want AR level she is on. :)

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 2, 2009

You could see if any of the books she's been reading are books that show up in the A to Z database...

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2009

Are you sure you don't live in my district?

:soapbox: I get sooo thoroughly burned when I see schools use AR in that way. Children sure are motivated to read when you force them to read only certain books and have to pass a test to boot.:banghead:

28. corney

corney Companion

Dec 3, 2009

Becky you could be.. I'm in Florida, Levy County..