Accelerated Math

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Terrence, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Does anybody use this program in their math classes? Our school is really going to enforce that we use it next year. If you do use it, how do you implement it into your curriculum? Is the program effective?

I tried using it when I took over math for my team this past year for third trimester. I think the thing that bothered me about it was what an amazing amount of paper gets used (not to mention the ink) each day you do it. Our school is going to hold some kind of competition for the kids who mastered the most objectives. The kid who masters the most in the year gets tickets for the family to go to Six Flags. I like the program because the kids are constantly reviewing concepts, so they don't forget what they have previously learned. Plus, it is set up like the actual state test as far as multiple choice questions. Also, if I give it to them for homework, all I have to do is check their actual worked out problems (I'll count it as a grade), then give them scantrons to bubble in their answers. I run them through the scanner and it automatically grades them and gives them an instant score as well as a new worksheet, or test depending on if they mastered the objective or not. The other cool thing is that it prints each kid out an individual worksheet based on what they need to work on, so there is no copying from other kids' homework since everyone has different problems. You can group kids based on what concepts they are low on and work with them in a small group setting as well giving them mini lessons on the concept.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 25, 2007

We have used it. It is our policy that it cannot count as more than 10% of the grade. Personally, I counted it as a homework grade as well. It was their assignment one-two times per week.

4. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

I feel weird about giving them it for homework everyday, but I think it would be good practice and good review. Like you, I think twice a week is good. Maybe three.
    One teacher is using it for HW every night. She is setting a limit on passing 4 objectives a week. Their homework grade will be based on how many objectives they have passed in a week out of 4. Then on Friday, they will take the tests that A.M. prints out for them.
    I'm thinking that if I have 90 minute class periods, I am going to have them work on it in class for the first 30 minutes before starting the lesson. This is even if I teach math next year, I am either teaching science and math, or science and social studies. We'll see. I'm supposed to find out this week. I think I also may give short (about 10-15 problems) weekly quizzes on Friday and then they will have the rest of the time to work on accelerated math. I don't know how I'm going to count it towards their grade though.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 26, 2007

What is your grade breakdown going to be for math?

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 26, 2007

Math one hour.
    Mad Minute.
    Teacher introduces and explains new or reviews with the class.
    Students work on AM. they ask questions and get help.
    Then they take a test. No help. If they mess up and don't understand they get help, and work the same concepts again.
    The only time AM goes home is if students are absent. Test never go home. Test are printed on colored paper and makes it easy to see who is working on a test.