Absentee Policies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Securis, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 25, 2009

I know what my district has and I consider its policies beyond the point of reason. I understand having holiday stipulations but I have never heard of a school that has holiday stipulations, payday stipulations, Monday/Friday Stipulations, Second day stipulations, and now to add insult to injury our Superintendent is requiring a single day doctor's note. Under all of those stipulations, if you are absent on those days, you must provide a written doctor's excuse or have a days pay docked from your check. What that means, if you miss a day you're going to pay for it. Whether by paying a clinic or by forfeiting the day to the district.

My simple rant, this is stealing. Anyone else out there face the same type of policy?

3. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Apr 25, 2009

Do you have union representation?This sounds outrageous.We are allowed ten days absence and there is no real restrictions on the ten days.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2009

The problem with doctors note stipulations is that too sick to go into work is often not sick enough to need a doctor.

In other words, I should only have to go to the doctor when I'm sick and need medical treatment. If I need to make an appointment every time I can't go into work, I'm wasting the resources of my health care provider and most likely, contributing to the rise in health care costs.

In my district, they can ask for a doctors note after three days, I believe.

What they do is for every 20 sick days we have accrued, we are allowed one "no tell" day a year which is a personal day (comes out of sick leave) for which we do not need to give a reason. That means you can take the day, a be honest with your co-workers as to why you are doing it. You can even take it on a Friday or a Monday.

What the no-tell days do is encourage people to save their sick leave and allow teachers to do things like go to concerts and weddings that don't take place during established breaks.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 25, 2009

I have the same question as Yank7 - where is your union??? We do have to provide dr's note after 5 days - but one day?? Is this in your contract for next year? You have every right to rants - this sounds ridiculous

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 25, 2009

Union representation. I suppose we have professional organizations but as far as I know, MS Teachers don't have a "Union". Districts are accountable to the state but mostly act as independent entities. I can go down the road to another district and they wouldn't even have absentee policies beyond your allotment of sick days and personal days, once used they were gone for the year. The last district I was in was this way.

As to our contracts, I've read it through and even though it's not iron clad, it pretty much says that the district can make or alter district policy as it sees fit.

It's a small town rural district with many of the problems that come with being small and out of the way.

I did inform my principal via email that I would comply under protest. That's about all I can do.

7. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Apr 25, 2009

More than likely, Mississippi is a "right to work" state like North Carolina. No union allowed though we can have prof. groups like NEA. What a crock.

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 25, 2009

We only need a doctor's note if it is a day before or after a holiday- you can't take a PB day on those days- only sick- most principal's don't enforce the Dr note policy, unless there is abuse to the system going on.

9. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Apr 25, 2009

My district has "black out" days, which generally fall on the day before or after a holiday, state testing week, first and last week of school, etc. If you're out, you have to get it approved by the Superintendent and if you don't, you're docked X days of pay, depending on how many you were gone for. To me, if you have a sub to cover for you, than it really shouldn't matter when you're gone.

10. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Apr 26, 2009

In what has to be the most bizarre policy I've ever experienced, our district requires a doctors note if you miss a staff only day. Usually districts ENCOURAGE you to use your sick days then...No students in session, no missed instruction, no need for a substitute for the district to pay for. Go figure.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2009

If we are out sick for more than a few days (five, I think), admin can ask for a doctor's note. Most times they won't ask for a note unless they feel like someone is abusing the system.

We're allotted around 15 sick days per year and one flex day (to be used as either sick or personal). The number of personal days we get is based on the number of sick days we took the year before. For example, if you don't take any sick days one year, the next year you get four personal days. If you take one or two sick days one year, you get two personal days the next year. You don't get any personal days if you take more than two sick days. Or something like that.

We have sort of greyout days, I guess you could say. They're not necessarily blackout days, because you can get them off if you ask enough in advance, don't abuse the system, and/or have a good reason to be gone. We are usually not permitted to take time off during the first two weeks or last two weeks of school, but again it's on a case-by-case basis.

Our admin gets very upset if teachers are absent during testing. If teachers have the sick time and call in sick, the admin can't do anything about it (I don't think), but the teacher might end up on the radar, which is not a fun place to be.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to require a doctor's note for all those days off--Mondays, Fridays, day before or after a break, blah blah blah. Like Sarge said, lots of times we are too sick to work but not sick enough to go to the doctor. Sometimes the doctor isn't even going to be able to fix what's wrong with us! I mean, if I have a migraine on a Friday, I'm not going to go to school, but that's not something my doctor can take care of either. It's better if I just lie down in a dark, quiet, cool room.

With that having been said....If you aren't fortunate to have union representation or reasonable language written into your contract, then you're kind of stuck. The admin can probably do whatever it wants in regards to sick time. :(

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 26, 2009

yep and it allows school administrators to punish or penalize you if they don't like you or don't think you should be gone. Luckily mine was in a good mood when I took my time off during the Easter break but I can see how it could've been challenged.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2009

A doctor's note should NOT be required for a single absence. I think that's ridiculous.

14. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 26, 2009

I don't understand this no union allowed thing. Tennessee is a "right to work state" and we have a union.

I know employers make it very hard to unionize, but how is it illegal?

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Apr 26, 2009

We get 15 sick and do not need a doctor's note unless it is several days. We have some teachers that seem to take a Monday or Friday sick day often!!! We also have 3 personal & on the form you have an option to mark other. I was told to always do that b-c it is not the school's business what you are doing. ;) It sounds like some people may be abusing their days & rather than deal with them everyone gets penalized.

16. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 26, 2009

Yes, this is the case. Somewhere in the past, several years gone by, many someones abused their privileges and those of us working now get the penalty.