Absent Students & In class assignments

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by historyteacher09, Feb 3, 2017.

1. historyteacher09

historyteacher09 Rookie

Feb 3, 2017

What do you do for students who miss in class assignments?? (First year teacher here)

For example, yesterday I had my kids rotate around to 7 different stations (in groups) to read documents and analyze what they told us about a historical figure. Then they had to write a brief summary of what they learned... for a grade.

What do I do for students that missed this assignment? Give them the documents to read themselves? I don't want to load them down with work just because they missed one day.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 3, 2017

When I was in school if you had an excuse you made up the work you missed. If you didn't, then it was a zero. Being loaded down with work is just part of it. It won't kill them. ;)

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 3, 2017

It is my students responsibility to come to me and get the work to make up. If it's activity like a lab or group activity that they can't make up, in some cases, I will just tell them that they can't make it up (if they were absent for some reason like 'they didn't feel like going to school that day' or 'my parents took me on a hunting trip').

Kids (and parents) need to learn that you can never fully make up learning that happened when you were absent and that there are consequences to missing class (or letting your kid miss class).

MathGuy82 likes this.
  5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 3, 2017

They make up the work on their own.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2017

I post it online and leave it up to them to take care of it. This is part of the reason why I grade very little classwork. If they take the time to learn it on their own it will show on their assessments. If they don't, not so much.

ms.irene likes this.
  7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2017

You can also lump a lot of these kind of things under "Participation" or "Engagement" for those who will inevitably ask, "is this for points?" I tell them yes, it is for your engagement grade, which means I don't actually grade each individual paper, but consider their participation for a holistic grade.

MathGuy82 and Secondary Teach like this.
  8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 3, 2017

If it is something they can make up easily (easy on my end), then I let them make it up. If it isn't, I will either not count it or give an alternate assignment that hits the same objectives.

9. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Feb 3, 2017

I like that idea, I actually don't use participation points and just hand out some extra credit every now and then for students missing assignments or just might want a small bump in their grade with my 8th graders. But, I might start using participation points and effort to replace the extra credit. With my high schoolers though (I teach grades 8-10), I think they shouldn't be making up assignments unless under special excusable circumstances in order to prepare them for that next level which is university. Although, I do realize that college is not for everyone.
    :)

10. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 3, 2017

There are a myriad of factors to this. It depends, I do lots of daily work with a daily grade. I give them the option to make it up. The only thing that is technically required to make up is tests. I work in a district where there are quite a few absences. Pretty much, unless it's test day, I review even past items during our "warm ups" so this will teach students who missed material. Going back, justifying if it was excused or not, especially if they have been in the hospital or other serious family/mental issues, there is no use when they already have to stay on task with the new material being taught. During our meetings if I find the students is skipping or are suppose to be in classes for lengthy periods of time, the daily grades start going to 0's. It's more added to the gazillion other tasks we have to do when we have to go back and research what days were excused and which were not, set days and times for students to return work, and grade everything. Not only that if they come back after the flu, they aren't full ready for another week. I have them get with another student and copy notes missed/take pictures if they need to. I also use the final exam as an indicator to help determine their final grade if they start missing classes like crazy.