absent kids in middle school...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HufflePuff, Mar 21, 2009.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Mar 21, 2009

how do you handle kids who miss work because they miss class for music, absence, or other things? i feel like i am constantly compiling work for students who are absent. i have hw buddies, where kids who are in class are supposed to fill out a sheet and attach missed work for the students who are absent. i always have to remind them to do it though.

any other ideas?

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

If it is only for HW, don't remind them. Isn't it their job to remember?

For my absent students, I put any printed work (worksheets, etc.) they would be doing if they were there on their desks.

If written work is required of them, the student who is in charge of handing out notebook paper that week leaves blank paper on their desk with a description of the writing assignment.

When the students return, they have everything they missed there on their desks. For missed instruction, I fill them in during small group.

By taking care of it on a daily basis, I don't put forth any extra effort for those who miss.

4. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Mar 21, 2009

I have a homework bulletin board with file folders stapled to it. Each file folder represents a class. During class I place any handouts for missing students in that folder with their name on it. If a parent comes at the end of the day to pick up their homework, I collect it and give it to the office. If they don't, its the kids responsibility to get the work when they return.

5. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Mar 21, 2009

My class is a lab-based science class, so students have to sign up to come during lunch, after school, or during their specials class (their teacher has to give written permission). At that time, students complete work they missed due to absence.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2009

This is a problem for me as well. I still haven't found a decent solution.

I don't really give handouts or worksheets--mostly due to budgetary concerns and limited copies. Nearly all work is done on notebook paper. I can't really ask another student to copy down the assignment for absent classmates because very often we do translation assignments, which require students to copy down the Latin passage--skipping 2-3 lines to show work, those Latin passages end up being 2-3 pages handwritten on notebook paper.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 23, 2009

When I was in middle school, I remember one particular teacher who I thought had a pretty good policy. Well, it's the only one I still remember to this day, so it must've been decent, at least ;)

This was a SS class, but probably it would work in most other subject areas...

Front desk in the classroom had a binder, and someone from each class was assigned to record that day's homework/ assignments in it. The teacher put extra copies of the worksheets, handouts, etc. in folder or whatever on that desk.

IF you were absent (for whatever reason), it was YOUR responsibility to check the book and see what you missed. She had 1/4 sized sheets of blue paper (don't know why I remember they're blue) in a basket next to the turn-in bin. Absent work HAD to have an absent slip on it or it was automatically marked down for being late. I think the slips simply asked for your name and a reason why it's late (I was sick, on a field trip, forgot it, etc).

No one reminded us to come get teh extra work, that was our responsibility. She didn't come track us down if it didn't get turned in, we simply didn't get credit for the assignment. People learned pretty quickly... yes, there were enough assignments and grades that missing one or two wasn't going to make a huge difference... but that wasn't the point.