Absences/Make Up Work

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SciTeach8, Sep 11, 2012.

1. SciTeach8

SciTeach8 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012

Hello, how do you deal student make up work? We have a lot of absent students and movement. What do you do when you get a new student a month into school (due to balancing, etc)? Excuse them from all the work? What about when it comes time to take the test/quiz?

I have an absent bin, some students never bother looking in it. Do you tell students it is their responsibility to find out what they missed? I have students asking me right when class starts, but I told them that they will have to ask a classmate or come to tutorial to get missing work because I have to cover the current content.

How do you deal with students missing labs? Sometimes it's impossible for them to make up, does anyone know of a good website for them to do alternative lab assignments? I teach biology to 9-12 graders.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 11, 2012

New students should have all their worked excused in my opinion. How far are you into your current unit that they will next be tested on. If you're almost done I would have them take it as a practice assignment, but I probably would not count the grade. Also, check with your administration there has to be a policy on this.

Absent work in my class is totally on the student. Everything is posted on the web, but I also have an absent binder in class. I know when students are absent and technically have a "one week policy", but I am fairly lenient on this. I will speak to students if they abuse it and take off points when necessary, but generally I don't.

I understand what you are saying about labs; many assignments, like graded discussions are hard to makeup. I generally assign a small paper as a makeup for discussions and grade it just as I would the discussion.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

I have everything online. It is up to students to take responsibility. I refuse to discuss anything with them until they have looked online. I teach seniors and they have trouble with this policy. Even though we have computers and printers easily available, they seem to feel that I should hold their hand and give them copies and tell them what we did.

Eventually they stop asking me, which is great. Once they know what they need, they can come to me and get targeted assistance.

5. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Sep 11, 2012

It's up to the student. I post everything online as well.

As far as new kids.. it really depends on the unit, the student, and their past experience. If I'm more than 50% through a unit, they're excused through the end of the unit. I always tell them its a free chance to get up to speed.

We're on block, and if somebody comes in 2nd semester, its entirely possible they are ahead of us if they come from a traditional school. In that case, I am less inclined to go easy on them.

6. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 11, 2012

Students have to sign-up with me if they need to make something up that can't be taken out of class. I schedule a time they can come after/before school. It's student's responsibility to sign-up and show up. Also, as a extra safety net I have specific days that I set aside as make-up days. (The class is working on general individual work.) Then I schedule make-up assessments for students who took the initiative to sign-up, but had circumstances that made before/after school difficult.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 20, 2012

Absent students are 100% responsible for any work they missed. They have to make arrangements to make up missed tests and quizzes. They have to bring me homework to check.

It depends on what is going on with new students. Sometimes I exempt them from everything, sometimes they have to make up missed tests only. Just depends on where we are, if the student was in our district, a year-long class versus a semester class, etc. I always err on the side of the student.