Above grade level reader

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teaching tigers, Aug 6, 2007.

1. teaching tigers

teaching tigers Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

This will be my third year in kindergarten, and I have a new dilemma. I have a little girl coming in that is reading at an upper first grade level. I had her for two weeks during summer academy so I know that she really can read (it's not just a proud mom)! In my class of 20 students, I want to make sure she is getting the individual instruction that she needs. Does anyone have suggestions on this issue. Do I still have her do the letter activities that the other students do, even though she knows all of the letters? I don't what to make her stand out from the rest of the class because she is so shy anyway. Please help! :)

3. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

I had a little boy like that last year. He was working at grade level 1 in everything-so at the parent's request we moved him to first grade. Did he do well? yes! The kids in his K class did not recognize half of the letters in the alphabet, they were still working on number recognition and this child was adding and subtracting.

I say if you have a child working above the class do not make them sit through what he or she has mastered, give them things at their level, she deserves to learn a lot this year too!

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

I had this last year, it was very tricky!
    I would often allow her two write words she knew that started with the letters we were working on when the rest of the class was just working on forming the letter.
    I found as the year progressed that more of my students were moving up (of course) so I would pull groups and do more advanced work with them.
    Sometimes I let her read books to other kids while I worked with another group.
    I sent home a lot of enrichment homework too.
    I'll be interested to hear what others suggest, I really struggled with that this past year.

5. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

I got one too. Putting her in first grade is definitely out because her maturity level is nowhere near that. So far (It's only one week) she seems to enjoy doing the letter recognition stuff anyway.

My own daughter was reading waaaay above grade level in K- and still is, in 7th grade. My advice is, (if sending her on to first grade is not the better option) keep her reading. Keep finding good books for her interest and allow her the time to do it. But don't assume she won't want to do the alphabet parade with the other children! Part of K is learning to be part of a group, take instruction, use scissors, etc. It's more than reading.

6. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I had 2 students reading at least a grade level above the others last year. They enjoyed working on letter printing & needed the practice. They really excelled at journal writing & enjoyed it. I had boxes of small books at their levels and took them aside as often as I could. They helped bring up the level of the whole class during morning message. Others listened & learned more strategies when I'd ask them to explain how they figured something out. They loved making projects. They needed the cutting practice and were not bored. Good luck.

7. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

I would definitely get started on Guided Reading Groups right away! I had a few kids like this last year who already knew their letters and sounds, so when I started pulling reading groups in early September I started reading with the kids who were ready and worked on letters/sounds with the rest of the class. It worked really well, because the students got used to meeting with me during station time, were getting extra practice on letters/sounds and the students who were already reading really accelerated!

8. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

This happends quite frequently in our school, one or two children will be WAY ahead. (2 yrs ago we had one whose mom had her memorizing the all the presidents and their "greatest accomplishment", she started with the ones on coins...it was weird, but she is am amazing kid, was in first in a 1-2 combo last year and passed all the 2nds in math. She IS skipping a grade--but we're worried about her social skills)

Unless their socially able I woudl never suggest skipping, just imagine that 17 year old headed to college.

I would have her write words that begin with the letter her classmates are working on; draw a pic and label.

During shared reading have her do some inference/drawing conclusions type questions. Wrok off the top of the taxonomy, just because she decodes like a 1st grader doesn't mean she's got all her comp skills.

Good luck, differentiating is so hard, but rest in the fact that you are providing a year's growth, not just a year's curriculum!

9. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I had a student who was reading chapter books at the beginning of Kindergarten. What we did was put him in first grade for reading class, but he spent the rest of the day with me. He was the brightest in the first grade, but we didn't feel we could move him any further. He should have been in first grade for math too (he could do long division), but the schedule didn't work out so he had to stay in kdg. He enjoyed going to first grade for the 90 min. reading block, but also enjoyed the more social activities and playtime that we did in kindergarten

10. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

My son was reading at upper first grade level when he entered kindergarten. I taught him when he was three. However, he needed to be with his grade level because his maturity and social skills were at the kindergarten level. I know his teacher used the reader's workshop with the class and he was with a group of two or three others who read at his level. She tailored the lessons to their needs .
    This year I am using the reader's workshop. I have often had children who could read and they still needed to be kindergartners because that is their social and emotional level. I have had one truly gifted child and we had her pulled for enrichment. She was reading at third grade and writing at second grade. Her math was working on multiplication and could already add and subtract three digit numbers. She knew all the states and was working on state capitals. But, she wasn't bored in kindergarten. She needed to be with children her own age because socially and emotionally, she was still just five.

11. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 12, 2007

My student's mother wanted her moved to the first grade, my our director of elementary education said no (without talking to me.)
    I think she could have handled the academics, by socially and emotionally, she was in the right place.
    mom was not happy!!

12. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

Two year ago when I was subbing a maternity leave in K, I had a child like that. One example is when we were doing a beginning sound page, I would have her write the sounds she heard in the word, not just the beginning sound.