About to anger a lot of people

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Rick Smith, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Rick Smith

Rick Smith Guest

Feb 1, 2023

Hello,
    I signed up to make this post. I have recently accepted my first LTO teaching 3 different classes. 2 of which I don't know anything about. My past mental health issues have returned and gotten much worse in the week that I've had to prepare. Anxiety and depression have turned me into a vomiting, shaking, zombie. I can't move, experience joy, think, or work.
    I tried really really hard to make this work. I haven't left my computer except to sleep since I accepted 2 weeks ago. I thought I'd I prepared enough that this feeling might dissipate. But it has only gotten worse as the first day gets nearer.
    Now I have to break it to the school that I can't do it. I'm about to piss off a ton of people.
    Before I accepted this job, life was good. I was doing supply in this school board and enjoyed everything about it.
    My concern now is: What's the right way to break this off (I absolutely have to)? and, Is there any way that they won't fire me completely from the supply list?
    I'd love to go back in time to before I applied. I've wasted so much of the school's time that could have been spent trying to find someone else when I was trying to force this to work.
    Thoughts?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 1, 2023

Your health comes first. I say this as someone with diagnosed Generalized Anxiety Disorder. They will find another LTS. There aren't other Ricks.
    Please stick around and let us know how you are faring.
    :welcome::atoz_love:

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 1, 2023

Can you get a doctor's note?

readingrules12 likes this.
  5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 1, 2023

I think your post is very thoughtful, clear, and open. If you relate this to a principal in person, your chances of them listening and accepting that you must resign for health reasons are quite good. Good for you for giving teaching a chance again. Good for you for knowing when to get out. You have a good head on your shoulders. Don't allow anyone to make you feel guilty about doing the right thing.

I have worked for over a dozen principals. I believe all of them would have understood and accepted your quitting for health reasons and not fire you.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2023

Just tell them. They’d much rather find someone else now than to have to replace you after you start or wait until the last second.