About the take a huge leap of faith

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by penguinpc, Jun 6, 2012.

1. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 6, 2012

Nine years ago I quit my first and so far, only, teaching job after 4 years. The main reason was emotional issues. I had no confidence in my abilities as a teacher. For the next 5 years I was a substitute and an elementary IT assistant. I even turned down a position with a team that I had long term subbed with. I guess I was still scared (or scarred) although I was much more confident in my teaching abilities and did enjoy it.

My job as an IT assistant simply did not pay enough and since I wasn't willing to teach again, there was nothing else in education I could do that would pay more. So I took a job with local government.

I immediately felt like a fish out of water and that has really never left me fully. It was being out of education that finally convinced me that being a teacher and working with children was where I belonged.

So for the last 3.5 years I have been looking for a teaching position, with no luck. I have had two interviews in that time. Although one was in my former district and went well, they went with another candidate.

My job search this year has been more extensive than ever. I have sent letters or emails to more than 300 schools. And as of yet, no interviews.

With this job market I don't feel a lot of hope in getting an interview. So, near the end of August, if I have not yet obtained a job as I teacher, I will quit my current job and sub in the hopes of building a good reputation that will hopefully make it more likely that I will get hired. Subbing was how I got my first classroom, and will hopefully help me get another.

I have been at my current job for almost four years, and it's not getting me any closer to my own classroom. I don't know if it is the wisest decision, but it feels like the right one.

So if you pray, I would appreciate it.

3. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jun 6, 2012

Wow! Amazing story. Good luck with the job search. It sounds like you should definitely be in a classroom, and some school somewhere is gonna snatch you right up!

4. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

Jun 6, 2012

You know where your heart is, and that's teaching. If you don't land anything by August, subbing would be a great way to network. Good luck!

5. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jun 6, 2012

If I could afford to quit my current job to sub, I would do it in a heartbeat. I say go for it, but hopefully you'll land a full-time teaching job before then :)

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

Wow, good luck!

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 6, 2012

You're very strong. I wish you luck!

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 6, 2012

I think it's great you are getting back in the game. The one thing I would mention is that I would not bring any of this up in an interview. Figure out a different reason for leaving because I don't think a principal will be confident in you if you weren't confident in your self. Make sure you have up to day letters of recommendation.

9. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jun 6, 2012

I agree with alwaysattend. Although you are being honest, you are being too honest. Perhaps say that you were dabbling in another career but that only made you realize how much you wanted to be a teacher and how this was truly your calling. (turn it into a positive about your determination to get back in the game) It is obvious this is what you want to do, dont waste another day debating on if you should risk it. That what makes dreams dreams, the fact that they are worth the risk! Best of LUCK

10. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 10, 2012

Oh, I don't talk about this at interviews. Sometimes I've said that I quit for medical issues, which is true. I'm bipolar (type 2) and was not on a regimen of medication that worked for me at the time. However, I also don't mention this. I don't go into detail about my medical issues. I just let them draw their own conclusions. However, I don't talk about why I quit if it doesn't come up at all.

I could also tell them I was starting my own computer business, which is also true. However, it wasn't working out, so I turned to subbing to help pay the bills.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 10, 2012

I wouldn't mention the business not working out because it makes it seem like teaching is the backup plan.

12. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 10, 2012

Good point.

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 10, 2012

I will be praying for you Penguinpc.

14. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 10, 2012

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I just realized about an hour ago that I need to quit trying to study for this interview and just relax.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I do have an interview tomorrow.

15. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 10, 2012

I hope your intervew goes well. I'm praying for you.

16. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 10, 2012

Good luck on your interview tomorrow! I'll keep you in my prayers.

17. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 12, 2012

I thought the interview went well, at least on my part. I THINK I sounded energetic, somewhat knowledgeable, and ready to learn more.

They called me on my cell about 45 minutes after I left to ask me two more questions. The wanted to know why I quit my first teaching job after four years and was I aware it was a 1st grade position.

I told the lady I talked to (teacher on the interview committee, I think) that I quit because of medical issues and that I needed to do some work that could be part time, so I subbed.

I have to tell you, that just gave me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Maybe for no reason, it just seemed to give a negative twist to an interview that I though went so well. I don't think it would have bothered me if I had been asked while I was a the interview.

Maybe it's a positive. They had to have been talking about me after I left. My wife says maybe it shows they are interested in me since otherwise, they could have just round filed my resume and interview information.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow. :(

18. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jun 19, 2012

Over the past year I have sent well over 200 resumes, apps, letters and junk to people.

Had one interview. One job offer. (That makes three jobs in a row)

I have not signed the contract yet, have a week to do so.

Had another interview yesterday. Waiting for that one.