? about prospective employer contacting current employer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachersk, Apr 5, 2009.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2009

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering what to do in the case of someone (me) applying to school districts but my current school does not know I am seeking a new job.

I know that my current employer would give a high flying recommendation without a doubt (that's not the issue) - the issue is, I am working for them until August and would rather not sever the relationship now, unless an employer is really serious about offering me a job... does that make sense? I'd rather it be me who tells them that I'm not returning, rather than an administrator from a random school district calling to get reference info.

I'm thinking about putting "please do not contact my current employer without my permission" - but looking at that on paper makes it look like I think my current employer will give a bad review! (which is not the case)!

Anyone who has been in this same boat before - do you have any suggestions?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

What's stopping you from telling them now? Or are you planning on staying if you can't find a new job?

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2009

Well, there are a few things that play into this. I'm definitely not returning regardless of whether I find a job. I'd work at starbucks over this. It's just not a place where I feel like my strengths are being utilized.

I've always been told that 2 months or so is appropriate. We have contracts to sign at the beginning of the summer, and they will likely be told then. I guess there is also the chance that things might perk up and I might start enjoying it (unlikely, but I feel like I want to leave that option open).

I also don't want to be treated any differently for reviews/evaluations, etc. if they know I'm not returning.

I don't know. Am I crazy for not wanting to tell them now? I mean, it's only April. I have until August there. I just think it's too early. Then there's a chance the parents would be told/find out through the grapevine, they might be upset, etc. It just seems risky.

What would be the benefit of telling them now? I'm up for suggestions at this point.

5. palla

palla Companion

Apr 5, 2009

As far as telling them, I would hold off for now. I think it is early, especially considering you don't know what the next few months might bring. It is too early.

I know the application here asks something along the lines of when they can contact your current supervisor (now or before hiring). If that is the case, you might be ok.

In the meantime, I guess I would try to use other references. Can you use references from other than you current school district and then when the new district is ready to hire, you can provide current district information.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2009

Well, they don't actually ask for references. It is just my cover letter and resume. So, naturally, it includes my current employment. There is no contact information, but I guess I'm just concerned that they might contact them anyways? Does anyone know if there has to be an actual reference form, or I have to actually give them the info in order for them to contact them?

I really think the best bet is to hold off telling them for now. I am mostly positive that I will not return, but I don't think it makes a difference for them if I tell them 4 months early or 2 months early.