? about my dog's behavior

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 18, 2014

I adopted a 6 year German shepherd in August. He has the perfect personality, loyal, submissive, well behaved, etc. (he wasn't put in the shelter, he ran away on 4th of July).
    I understand a lot more about him since I started watching and reading the Dog Whisperer shows / websites, but one thing I'm not so sure about.

It's only me and my daughter. We have a hallway and at the end 3 doors to the bedrooms, like in a cul-de-sac. My daughter's bedroom is right across from mine. Up until a week or so ago my dog (Oso) usually slept in my room, on the floor, next to my bed. Sometimes I let him sleep with me. His favorite spot to lay in the house is by the front door - we always joke that he takes his body-guard job very seriously.

About a week or so ago he started refusing to come to my room at night. He comes when I call him, all the way across from the house, but then he'll only come up to my door, then turns around. He crawls on the floor, or lays down, puts his head on the floor and refuses to move. We tried this so many times.
    This only happens at night, before we go to sleep Normally I close the door.

My guess is this: he wants to make sure he can protect both me and my daughter, and he can't do that if he's in my room with the door closed. He wouldn't know if someone came in, or couldn't get to them. He always lays down at the other end of the hallway, where he can see both of our doors, but is right across from the front door, and the living room is right behind him.

I think he started doing this just now because he finally accepted my daughter as a pack member. (I'm not sure about this though). Up until now my daughter didn't really bond with him, didn't want to spend time with him because after one month of adopting him he killed both of our cats, so she's been mad. I think she just now started to open up. (that's the only bad / horrible thing Oso has done)

Any thoughts? Any dog experts? I think dogs accept a pack pretty much right away, especially since he accepted me as the leader from day one, he should have accepted my daughter as well.

3. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jan 18, 2014

I feel bad even saying this because I love dogs. But, I would have gotten rid of this dog when he killed the first cat. I would never trust a dog like that around my child.

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 18, 2014

I just can't get over that he killed your two cats. I don't know, maybe he is waiting until your daughter to come out so he can attack her? I'm sorry, I just can't comprehend how an animal has a perfect personality and yet killed two animals. I would not trust anything that animal did again

5. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 18, 2014

Sorry, me too. I'm surprised how casually this was mentioned. It's a very big deal. Anyway, since you are keeping the dog, I'm sure he could tell that your daughter was not comfortable around him (which is understandable) and if she's warming up now, he can probably sense that too. Also, please do some research about the criticisms of Cesar Milan. Some of his methods are considered outdated, ineffective, and/or cruel by many dog trainers. His whole theory about dominance is actually a misunderstanding of the way wolf packs work. Positive training can be much more effective and doesn't run the risk of causing fear aggression. It's important to get a variety of views rather than relying on one person's POV, especially since you have such a large dog with the physical capability of doing harm.

Here's a rather lengthy article you might be interested in: http://www.livescience.com/5846-critics-challenge-dog-whisperer-methods.html

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 18, 2014

Like just attacked a cat? Twice? He is kept indoors right, because I'd hate to think of neighbors' cats being in danger as well.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 18, 2014

I know I mentioned it very casually, of course it hurt really bad. I don't know for sure, 100 % that he killed them. this happened at my old house (the one that got broken into, after that that they attempted to steal my car from the front of the house and then in September someone slashed 2 of my tires. It was in a very bad area and that's why I broke my lease and moved at the end of October.. Also that's why I got the dog for protection.

I thought maybe someone killed both cats, and threw them across my fence. The two incidents were 1 week apart. By that time I had the dog for over a month. He wasn't fond of the cats, they were outside as soon as we got him because I didn't want to risk it, and he was outside only supervised, kept inside mostly. Of course we didn't watch his every move.
    The adoption agency I got him from said he was good with dogs, cats and kids, he's very mellow and well trained. All turned out to be true, except for the cat. I still have doubts about how the cats were killed.

I have no doubts about the dog's manners and behavior though.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 18, 2014

We live together, he's not waiting for my daughter to 'come out so he can attack her'. A lot of dogs don't like cats. But like I said, I still don't know , and will probably never know for sure that he in fact killed the cats.

9. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 18, 2014

Okay, that changes things a little bit since you're not sure about what happened. I don't really think changing his sleeping quarters is something to be concerned about. He might just not want to be trapped in the bedroom so he can keep an eye on things. Our dog goes through phases with where he likes to sleep, and he's not exactly a security dog. I'd still recommend reading that article I posted just to get some different perspectives about training methods.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 18, 2014

I can understand your daughter's reaction to the possibility that the dog killed the cats. Our beautiful black cat killed my class hamster that I had brought home for the weekend and I held it against him for years. We gradually made up and bonded.

I think what people are responding to is that it sounded at first as though you were concerned about something minor (where the dog wanted to sleep) when something awful most likely occurred with this dog. But, if you are convinced that the dog's nature is good, then enjoy him. Just don't get any more cats.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 18, 2014

Your further explanation makes things a lot different in my mind. I pictured the cats inside and he just killing them and it not being seen as a big deal. With more information it is a totally different scenario.

Maybe he does want to protect everyone now? Seems like a loyal dog would do that. Or maybe he is just strange. Our dog has now taken to sleeping on my husband's head all of a sudden. Dogs are strange but wonderful:)